For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01?

UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 349
Nexus 6
edited November 2017 in Support
I got home today very excited to see Oculus released an update. I was telling myself ok finally they may have looked into the issues and released a fix for the stuttering described in many posts blowing up on the forums lately. Well I wish you had the ability to rollback the updates, because my performance now is incredibly bad. This was the only thing that updated on my PC today and now the Rift stutters when things load more than yesterday by a large margin. For the people that have these issues, and never had Rivatuner, Msi Afterburner etcetera, did this update improve, or make your performance worse?

Comments

• Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    my experience has been remarkably improved since the update, as i noticed almost immediately when i loaded up killing floor incursion horde mode and started blasting away zeds. it was a pleasant surprise for me.to have everything going so buttery smooth
  • TheGamesCriticTheGamesCritic Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    I have been going crazy with my USB drivers, uninstalls, etc thinking it was JUST ME! I NEVER had these issues before. Last good date I used Oculus was when Star Trek Bridge Crew came out...after reinstalling windows (CLEAN and all drivers UP TO DATE including NVIDIa)  and reinstalling Oculus - I too experience these same head-motion PICTURE jumps (stutters?)! It's not like a left-to right constant stutter - but rather the picture will JUMP up and down slightly...ever so slightly when I look behind me (rotating my head to the left) and then look directly to my left in an attempt to face forward. It's so strange and a huge immersion killer for me.
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 349
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for responding guys. TheGamesCritic yeah welcome to the world I’ve been living in for the past few months.  Oculus hasn’t been responding to these posts much lately.  It would be nice for them to try to offer us a little more troubleshooting than what they’ve been suggesting. I don’t know how it’s possible but there are some people who get these issues all the time and there are some that never do. It doesn’t seem consistent at all and I’ve tried to do all the suggestions including reinstalling windows about five times, no overlays, all nvidia settings are max performance, 1 Pre-rendered VR frame but it never makes a difference. Nothing else updated yesterday just oculus and now unplayable.  It’d be nice for oculus to chime in again. I think they thought for a long time this was me trolling but not the case at all. I’m Both happy and upset that other people are having this issue. Happy because it shows a little more credibility to my posts and that issues exist, but unfortunate that other people have to go through this same issue I’ve been going through for a while. Something they are doing in their updates is directly changing my performance.
     This is getting really old really fast. I just want to play my damn rift With no problems. It doesn’t make sense to me.  I’m considering buying a Windows MR headset to see if that still gives me the same problems and if not then I know it’s oculus.  Still on the fence about it. I know that the quality won’t be as good for the tracking but if it works better then it’s better than my situation now.  I’d rather not do that but I may not have a choice if we keep getting ignored.  If they gave us a “we’ve been working on it to figure it out” I’d be okay with that and wait for the word. Just not knowing is the crappy part and the total lack of ownership isn’t right.
    Brain Burst
    Here's a video of my issue.

Nexus 6
    I can’t really see the issue from this video. Is it the the frames are inconsistent as you move your head like it skips frames in between giving you a rough transition as you move your head occasionally? Do you also have reprojection in the image almost like you can see both frames at once like ghosting? I’m also getting loading stutter as well. Whenever an event happens when assets are loading it chugs for a few seconds. Do you have any of that as well? Sorry for all the questions I just am trying to figure out if you and I have the same issue.
    Brain Burst
    UBSERD said:
    I can’t really see the issue from this video. Is it the the frames are inconsistent as you move your head like it skips frames in between giving you a rough transition as you move your head occasionally? Do you also have reprojection in the image almost like you can see both frames at once like ghosting? I’m also getting loading stutter as well. Whenever an event happens when assets are loading it chugs for a few seconds. Do you have any of that as well? Sorry for all the questions I just am trying to figure out if you and I have the same issue.

I think ours are similar but not the same. I have loading stutter upon initial app launch - but ive always had that. This new issue - It basically JERKS the image down..in the logs its literally referred as "tracking jump" showing correction variables in the logs. So it's clearly losing tracking and trying to "auto-correct" it which is weird. Pay attention to the couch - when my eyes meet it you see it "jump" down. I know it's hard to tell as my head is constantly on the move but yeah thats the headset jitter I can't fix entirely on vidcapture.
    Brain Burst
    Here's a 2nd more helpful video of my issue UBSERD

• AymitoAymito Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Where to download offline the Oculus rift driver 1.19 to test and compare the result with the new one ?
    Nexus 6
    TheGamesCritic yes I see it now. How strange?? That isn’t the same issue I’m getting but that’s very bizarre.  How many cameras do you have? I’m wondering if it’s a sensor issue.  Did you try to move your cameras to another location just to check? Also do you have a second PC to test on?
     Maybe the  accelerometer in your headset has gone bad and can’t gauge the turning of your head correctly. I’m not sure if I’m right or not but just a thought. If you tested on a second PC and had the same issue that could very well be it but I’m not a technician just thinking that could be the issue.

Aymito unfortunately oculus doesn’t offer a rollback feature so unless you can find a mirror of it somewhere if that’s even possible you can’t roll back to 1.19.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited November 2017
    I have the issue with some games and not with others. Even in some game UIs - i.e. before actually playing anything (that would be DCS World). I get it in Elite - but only occasionally, in P3Dv4 too, but not in Oculus Home games.

That's a good point, actually, now I think of it, it only happens in non-Oculus Home installed games on my PC. The ways to fix it in DCS World is to Alt-Tab to Oculus Home and then back to the sim. It only works temporarily (until the end of that mission) but it works.

Edit: although it doesn't happen in IL-2 BoS. That is not an OH or Steam game, but it does use SteamVR to run. CAP 2 was fine, as well - also SteamVR.

Nexus 6
    I’m getting the stutter in oculus games as well, and also occasionally in oculus home but not as frequently. I can usually tell when the stutter will be present in a game when it’s initially loading .I see a jerkiness in the logo on the oculus grid background. When it doesn’t do that then I know the game will work correctly once I’m in it. There is no fool proof way to replicate it either. It stutters when it wants.
  • detroitslayerdetroitslayer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My stutter was found in my task manager. Service host processes spiking my performance. 2 of them specifically had my CPU holding around 40-50% usage at idle. When I launched Oculus, Id watch the CPU max and the stutter occur. I killed the processes and got the stutter to go away for good. What Im seeing though is alot of this stutter issue is based on system setup, so my fix could be irrelevant. This stutter showed up after Coco download.

2 sensors
    I5-7600k
    1080 FTW hybrid

Side note:
    Prior to finding and killing the processes, I checked my device manager and there was a conflict on the USB 3.0 port the headset was plugged into. Swapped it with a sensor and it resolved. Did notice an improvement in stutter prior to my ultimate resolve.
  • Hodders67Hodders67 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 2017

Im getting a jitter now on my y axis ive never noticed it before. I noticed it initially in PC2 but i am getting it even in the lobby. tracking has always been brilliant so it must be a recent update for me anyway

my GFX card is a 1080 ti so it cant be performance

• blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    Bad stutter like a slideshow in Battlezone VR unless I drop the graphics to Low and pixel density to 0.80
    Using nvidia drivers 388.31 on GTX1080
    Brain Burst
    UBSERD said:
    TheGamesCritic yes I see it now. How strange?? That isn’t the same issue I’m getting but that’s very bizarre.  How many cameras do you have? I’m wondering if it’s a sensor issue.  Did you try to move your cameras to another location just to check? Also do you have a second PC to test on?
     Maybe the  accelerometer in your headset has gone bad and can’t gauge the turning of your head correctly. I’m not sure if I’m right or not but just a thought. If you tested on a second PC and had the same issue that could very well be it but I’m not a technician just thinking that could be the issue.

Interesting. I'll be trying it on a 2nd PC. Oculus Support wants me to get logs from the 2nd PC also....should be fun. :tired_face:

It's quite possible you're right and the headset has went bad. Which is shocking to me. I never moved it - kept it pristine condition on my tables away from sunlight - and for it to happen after 5 months of no use is crazy lol. But I guess it's possibly a defect!
    Brain Burst
    Hodders67 said:

Im getting a jitter now on my y axis ive never noticed it before. I noticed it initially in PC2 but i am getting it even in the lobby. tracking has always been brilliant so it must be a recent update for me anyway

Like mine (jumping)?
    Nexus 6
    TheGamesCritic good luck man. I wish you the best with the results and hopefully it isn’t anything too crazy wrong. I’m not sure if you stated before but did you try and install oculus again? I know it’s a pain but it may help the issues you’re having if you haven’t given that a go. Also have you downloaded the new rift update yet? I’m scared to try it lol.
  • BertychewsterBertychewster Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I had a stuttering issue, micro every now and them in game and on home page. I've read all the forums and seen many options as how to fix. It definitely kicked when I got the creators update Win10 64.
    I disabled usb power management, turned off precision X, updated to Nvidia 388.31, even though most are rolling back ( i had tried this but no joy). Now I thought I would get the new 1.20.01 so downloaded it, turns out it was 1.20 and i was already on 1.20 and ran repair.I only realized my mistake when oculus booted, thing is NO more stuttering!

I know this isn't very definitive, it could be any of these that helped but it is possible to be on 1.20 with the new drivers and get past the issue that's why i posted. Hope this may help.
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 539
    Trinity
    edited November 2017

I think I am getting more stuttering now than I have before. Basically, I finally upgraded my 970 to a 1080 ti. I installed the creators update, installed latest nvidia drivers 388.31 and come back the next day to see some improvement, not only does nothing look any better but all-around performance has gone down with the stutters and what not. Have not been playing much VR lately it just all feels all kind of ruined right now.

• blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    Does anyone else who has updated to the Win10 Creators Edition know of a solution ?  I downgraded my nvidia driver to 385.69 because it always worked great with Project Cars 2 but no luck.

For me these problems started after updating to Creators Edition and then the Oculus 1.20 update.  I do not know if it is one of those, both of those or something in the Nvidia driver but this is the first time my Rift has ever been unusable due to the strange glitching or image jumping side to side and up and down.  The worst experience of it is in Battlezone VR.

I have absolutely no clue what else to try short of going backwards through every single nvidia driver made this year which is far too time consuming for me to undertake.  If I could downgrade both the Win10 update and Oculus Driver I would definitely try that to determine just what is the cause.  Very Frustrating and appears neither Oculus nor Nvidia and certainly not Microsoft are remotely interested because it does not affect enough users to bother them.

Brain Burst
    edited November 2017
    UBSERD said:
    TheGamesCritic good luck man. I wish you the best with the results and hopefully it isn’t anything too crazy wrong. I’m not sure if you stated before but did you try and install oculus again? I know it’s a pain but it may help the issues you’re having if you haven’t given that a go. Also have you downloaded the new rift update yet? I’m scared to try it lol.

Thanks buddy! Already solved it. Just bought another headset entirely and gave mine to my cousin who can seriously give less of a crap about the 360 tracking. He bought it for $250. Not bad  :D   Guess you were right though - my headset was bad. What's truly upsetting is - it was seriously close to brand new. Used under 50 times. I'm starting to wonder if Oculus Quality Control is good....because that was serious BS

• AymitoAymito Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2017

Thanks buddy! Already solved it. Just bought another headset entirely and gave mine to my cousin who can seriously give less of a crap about the 360 tracking. He bought it for $250. Not bad  :D   Guess you were right though - my headset was bad. What's truly upsetting is - it was seriously close to brand new. Used under 50 times. I'm starting to wonder if Oculus Quality Control is good....because that was serious BS

Glad to know that your problem is solved , so the new one is performing good ?,
    So how do we know if we have a good rift or not , there must be a diagnostic tool or something that could detect this defect and its a not software or driver problem..
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2017
    Aymito said:

Glad to know that your problem is solved , so the new one is performing good ?,
    So how do we know if we have a good rift or not , there must be a diagnostic tool or something that could detect this defect and its a not software or driver problem..

There are logs. Check them to see what errors are coming back, if any.

I'll tell you all this one thing....It's more than likely NOT the software.....it's either your respective PCs or Headset. I'm honestly beginning to think Oculus VR quality control is super poor in terms of parts. I barely used mine and it bit the dust in terms of tracking, pretty much. Imagine if I actually even used it frequently....so don't be upset if it IS your headsets. Doubt anything could have been done to prevent it from imploding in terms of quality parts lol.

I say this because after testing out the new one, I have zero issues as mentioned in this thread and absolutely zero stutters. I would recommend using 2 PCs to verify if you really think it's possibly the software + some driver/hardware combo - but ensure fresh installs of Windows 10 then!

Nexus 6
    Hey TheGamesCritic, I believe your issues you were having are not the same as what we are mentioning. I can totally confirm my issue is either a software conflict, or driver issue of some sort because I own two rifts and have tried every sensor one by one to see if there was a difference on both and they both react 100% the same with the stuttering and judder.  The one has hardly been used except for testing these types of situations. The issues you showed in your posts above seemed like a bad gyro. The issue me and blanes are having is more like an abrupt section of frames that slow the game down and is very jarring but also inconsistent and reprojection like a blur on objects that normally don't exist when running properly. Plus this has happened to me before many times since I've owned the Rift. There was a good stretch for three months about 5 months ago where it ran flawlessly in every game, then an update would come out and make the games stutter, then another update would come out to fix it slightly.  I'm getting a gaming laptop soon so I'll test on that and see if it's any different as far as performance and report back. 
    Nexus 6
    The software needs work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hodders67 said:

Like mine (jumping)?
    Aye mainly in the vertical axis you move your head up and it jumps as if its trying to catch itself up. 
    Brain Burst
    UBSERD said:
    Hey TheGamesCritic, I believe your issues you were having are not the same as what we are mentioning. I can totally confirm my issue is either a software conflict, or driver issue of some sort because I own two rifts and have tried every sensor one by one to see if there was a difference on both and they both react 100% the same with the stuttering and judder.  The one has hardly been used except for testing these types of situations. The issues you showed in your posts above seemed like a bad gyro. The issue me and blanes are having is more like an abrupt section of frames that slow the game down and is very jarring but also inconsistent and reprojection like a blur on objects that normally don't exist when running properly. Plus this has happened to me before many times since I've owned the Rift. There was a good stretch for three months about 5 months ago where it ran flawlessly in every game, then an update would come out and make the games stutter, then another update would come out to fix it slightly.  I'm getting a gaming laptop soon so I'll test on that and see if it's any different as far as performance and report back. 

You have to try another PC setup entirely. That's a real possibility too then if you already tried different sensors and headsets.
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    Yeah man I will definitely around Christmas when I get it in addition to my Lenovo Explorer WMRH.  Microsoft had a deal that I couldn’t pass up for $1180 total with tax to get a gaming laptop and a HMD even if it’s not as good in some ways to the Rift. Can’t really beat it for the cost. Also for all I know this one will actually work all the time which is a big plus for me.

The thing I don’t get is that I have taken my PC back to the my local pc shop about 10 times to format and start fresh and only 2 of those times ever made a difference. The strange thing is that both of those times there was an update to Oculus during him troubleshooting that miraculously fixed it to run like butter in every game I owned. 

Playing detective instead of playing games sucks. I feel like troubleshooting this damn thing is a full-time job. It shouldn’t be this hard, or there should be a better knowledge base with actual techs trying to help us instead of call center people telling us it’s something in the PC causing it and giving us busy work like they do. They give slow steps and retread constantly in the steps they give people with these issues all the time. I know from about seven months of experience. They read from a list of did you try this, or try that? When they know they’ve asked those questions several times to me. They need to dig deeper for answers. If it’s only broken for some oh well for you I guess is what I get from them. It should not be this elusive and detrimental to the customer base. A phone number would really be nice. Just saying.

If it is our fault then help us figure out why or what we are messing up instead of going silent on us Oculus and giving us the same solutions that hardly ever work for anyone. You would think right?? 
    Hiro Protagonist
    rolling back Nvidia drivers and using tray tool to make sure power management is off has mostly fixed the judder for me.
    Nexus 6
     Trust me man. I’ve tried all of that stuff all of it.  I think others have tried all of that stuff too. I don’t think this is as cut and dry as some people say it is. I have not successfully played a rift game in a very long time because I am constantly troubleshooting and looking up things on the forums. I’ve  reformatted many time and rolled back drivers, dropped super sampling on both the oculus tray tool, and in Steam VR. Same results.