cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Oculus Go going to work?

Roaster
Rising Star
I assume the Go will connect with Wifi. Will I be able to load Android apps on it? 
I want to connect to a wifi camera, because I think the Go would make a swell viewfinder for the telescope and spotting scope.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
21 REPLIES 21

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
It's a glorified Gear VR with better Graphics.

Roaster
Rising Star
That's the attraction for me. Less glare, less sde, maybe wider fov? For some uses that would be nice.
But no controllers and no position tracking, limited memory (how much does it come with? any options?), limited library, limited ways of connecting to media, etc.  I want to know.  Does it use a cloud server for memory?
Certainly it's not too soon to talk about it? Why maintain the secrecy? 
   If they want to sell any of these things it's time to start playing it up.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

falken76
Expert Consultant

Richooal said:

In the case of the Gear, all the software is handled by the mobile phone. Downloading, storage etc. All apps/games designed for Gear will run on the Go.
I would doubt very much that the Go would be able to connect to 3rd party devices with either Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth or IR.

The only options left would be an SD card type interface or the device would need some sort of mobile data which would mean there's a service fee if it doesn't work off of WiFi. 

My guess is it uses Wifi since it's available through most cities and using an SD card would assume you have a computer when so many people don't and use Tablets instead (What's a computer?  GTFO w/ that bs lol)  Do they still make IR stuff?  Blue Tooth would need to connect to an existing mobile in order to transfer so that might actually be another option.

If this thing is like the Gear VR that my friends have obtained, the way it will work is it will be placed in a box and stuffed into a closet and forgotten about.  Then again, those GearVR were given away to get the signature on the contract for the most expensive phones they have in the store,  so it's not like my friends were waiting in line to get the GearVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

I sometimes fantasize that there would be an Oculus presence on the Oculus forum.

They probably would if we could weed out the trolls and non-Rift owners. Have you ever watched what happens when Cyber tries to help someone out on this forum? 9 times outta 10 he gets instantly insulted if the person doesn't get the answer they want.

You are also asking Cyber to publicly provide inside information about Oculus Go. Clearly, if the answer to your question was made public then you wouldn't need to ask it. Since it's not publicly provided... your plan is to ask an Oculus Staff Member to publicly reveal private company information. And then you wonder why there's a lack of Oculus participation? lol

Here's all current knowledge on Oculus Go:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/everything-we-know-about-oculus-go/

The marketing campaign is that it requires zero chords. Have you ever used Alexa? She comes with an app that you put on your Smart Device, and everything is downloaded in to her firmware that way. I think it's safe to assume that Oculus Go can work very similar. We're about to hit the year 2018 after all, getting data on computers isn't a mystery anymore.

Roaster
Rising Star
Private inside information? You are insane. It's been announced already.  It's being released in a couple months. Why would anything be kept secret? Shame? Embarrassment? Irrepairable harm to the company if the word got out?
zero cords, btw
Don't use alexa
I'm asking if the device will wifi connect to a camera ffs.  Will it load third party apps. That's not trade secret stuff.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

Private inside information? You are insane. It's been announced already. 

The spec's have not been announced publicly. Asking an employee to give you details about unannounced spec's is asking for inside information, which is typically private. It isn't that hard a concept to understand, especially if you have ever worked for a company that has proprietary data.

Roaster said:
I'm asking if the device will wifi connect to a camera ffs.  Will it load third party apps. That's not trade secret stuff.

Trade Secrets are confidential and never made public. Private information can typically be made public after a time. You seem confused.

Roaster
Rising Star
Well it seemed like an innocuous question.
Acceptable answers might be ... I can't tell you that ... we don't know ... we're still working on it ... none of your business ... it's possible, wait and see! ... can't you wait a few days? ... hope that helps.
I would have thought Oculus would be blowing the horns and whipping up a frenzy by now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

Well it seemed like an innocuous question.
I would have thought Oculus would be blowing the horns and whipping up a frenzy by now.

Considering how many folks are just dying to take Oculus' public statements out of context in order to engage in epic trawls, it would make more sense to wait until a firm release date is established. Oculus couldn't even announce Oculus Go and Santa Cruz without folks (you included) jumping the shark and proclaiming that the Rift is dead lol

Roaster
Rising Star
It's my opinion, like it or not. I would be overjoyed to be proven wrong, because all I want is a good hmd.
I know what you're saying about early release announcements, but the facts are the facts, and saying what the Go will do doesn't seem out of line.  It IS in production already, isn't it?  Looking forward to another roll-out fiasco.
Oculus has a history of secrecy for some reason, so I guess someone upstairs believes in the principle, for better or worse.
   I'm looking to use the Go as a telescope viewfinder ... something that will increase the functionality of the headset, and sell a shit-load more units. Oculus isn't interested? Maybe HTC is.
   I'm starting to have a problem supporting the new AOL.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Roaster said:

I sometimes fantasize that there would be an Oculus presence on the Oculus forum.

Such as this announcement from last week?
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/59333/announcing-oculus-amas-on-the-developer-forum...
Now we're inviting some of the top Oculus engineers, tech leads, and
more to join us for Oculus AMAs! This is your opportunity to talk about
Oculus technologies directly with the people that help make it awesome.
Keep an eye on the Developer Forums over the next couple of weeks!

As for info release, Oculus has been burned in the past by announcing things too early, then needing to change (hence the "ballpark" meme). As part of a larger corporate structure, there's going to be many layers about the public interacting staff that control when details are approved for release. With HTC and Samsung both announcing stand alone VR headsets to compete with Go, Oculus don't want to tip their hand too early.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2