cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix second-wide stutter in Oculus Rift?

aram
Protege
Hello,

Recently all the games that I run seem to have a stutter , frame jump almost every second. So if I rotate my head from right to left continuously every second or so I'll see a jump. This wasn't the case before. I have tried a lot of approaches in forums here and nothing has helped so far.

To me it seems that this is an issue that is affecting a lot of people and is not a 'one-off' thing.

Please help me figure out a solution.

All the needed logs are attached and I'm sure it lists my computer's specs but just in case:
Core-i7
GTX 1080 FTW SLI
Windows 10
Nvidia Drivers: 388.31

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

nilz23
Explorer
Don't worry, they're reading this thread right now and waiting for one of us to figure out what's wrong so they know what to try to fix in the next runtime version.

YoLolo69
Trustee

aram said:

Ok. Let me get this right, I knew I was not the only one, but what i didn't know is that Oculus Support is still not responding.

Did you raise a support ticket in parallel of posting here (https://support.oculus.com/)?

Oh and by the way, such regular stutter you described is more probably created by something eating CPU or GPU times on your computer. You can try to monitor activities to find what's going on with your computer. I have a really similar case few month ago and it was due to a pluggin in Google Chrome. CLosing Chrome before running my Rift fixed it.

Our computers and all their various components are heavy machine running tons of services at the same time the Rift and its drivers attempts to keep a smooth experience. This is the nightmare for all PC developers (vs Consoles which have known hardware). Before wearing your Rift, try to catch which process grab CPU/GPU times by monitoring them. You can start by checking the Task Manager on performance time sorted by CPU time to see if you catch a specific applications or services. Also, I had same stuttering when the fall creator update came with the GameBar enabled , also when I had the ASUS suite installed, and also when I had the GeForce Experience installed. Removing all those craps programs fixed stutters for my Rift.

In summary, you have a good chance the problem come from another software/hardware on your machine.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
Try only 2 sensors placed directly in front of you 4 feet apart 4 feet in front of you facing straight forward hip height titled to see both your hips and head. I think 360 view is the problem, something with the cameras.

YoLolo69
Trustee
@monitorhero I was talking to OP as he described his computer, and he's describing precisely a second-wide stutter which is typical of an "heavy" services task grabbing CPU/GPU times (like I had with the Chrome pluggin). I'm not sure at all your issue is the exact same, as you say stutter when turning head and Framedrop letters always appearing (which could be a problem E.g. if you have an old GPU card or GPU drivers problem). So what's your specifications (CPU/RAM/GPU)?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Go to this link at the bottom to bring you to this magical forum post.  Look at the comment from aisepos! His suggestion actually fixed everything. Oculus has never suggested this but now they will. This man is a genius and he actually figured out why I was having my problems... all 6 months of them.  I can’t guarantee it’s a cure all but I hope this helps you too and give him a shout if you see him. He is a God!!!! 

Thanks to everyone in their suggestions if they are reading this. I really appreciate all the help and working together to figure out these things for the community.

See you in the Rift!

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58073/poor-tracking-quality-audio-glitches-lagging-...

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
The stutter came for me when the cameras didn't like me turning around so it lost tracking.
Keep the cameras able to see your head and hands and keep the cameras in bright light and that might help with the stutter, that or don't turn to look behind you and have the cameras in front of you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've fixed it on my system, i had the same issue.  Open device manager, if it's blinking start unplugging hardware until it stops, there's the culprit.  for me it was a combination of usb ports for my sensors that the oculus didn't like.  i unplugged them all except one and then plugged them back in to various other ports until it worked without the stuttering.