cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ? Sharing Oculus - how to handle multiple users.

funkiestj
Explorer
Should my wife make her own Oculus Home account to play so that she will have her own Oculus Home ID?  If she does this will she have access to all my games?

I'm using Windows 10 and she has her own user account.

Also, do you have any tips for sharing the actual HMD?  We all have different heads.
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the Oculus avatar program here:  Oculus\Support\oculus-avatar-editor\OVRAvatarEditor.exe but while my wife ran it and created an avatar, it does not show above her account in home.

Gerald, I believe you need to invoke the Avatar Editor from within Oculus Home assuming you have the latest version.

DaddyMcMadBeard
Honored Guest
I second this, Oculus has to realize that a lot of people (like myself) will purchase the hardware to share among family members. Instead of requiring multiple Oculus accounts I would like to see something like user profiles being introduced. An Oculus account could have an arbitrary number of connected user profiles.

Additionally it should be possible to switch user profiles at any time in the Oculus menu, even in-game. If the user profiles included metrics such as the floor position that would be a great improvement. Our 7 year old is obviously not as tall as myself 🙂 

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
While I understand the quality of life that would come with family sharing options I can't help but think that this just opens the floodgates for abuse and fraud. 

When you buy a game you buy a license to play this game, this is generally a single-user license. 
If you let a family member/mate/work colleague play this game on your system there generally is no problem.

If you create a system where many different users can access one license there is a risk of abuse.
You'd have to build in (at the minimum) a check that makes sure that no more than 1 profile at a time is running software out of the library otherwise library sharing will become a way to avoid paying for software.

I am not surprised this isn't the first thing on Oculus' agenda as there are many factors in this. 

I understand the wish to have user profiles though because being able to have pre-sets for different users when it comes to configurations (floor height etc) makes sense. 

I think the OP found the best solution so far in that he can create different windows users to ensure there are separated savegame files (as I do understand this is a nice thing) 

DennyA
Honored Guest
Every modern game console lets family members share purchased software on the same machine but have their own saves under their own user ID. This is basic 2016 functionality. 

FeraRelax
Explorer
Having the same issue here. Purchasing another oculus or re-purchasing applications is out of the question.

Justice309731
Honored Guest
I don't see why if the software is on the same hardware/hard drive as multiple users why it matters at all!! All your going to end up doing is having some group make a workaround with some Linux based software that mirrors the Oculus software to a Tie in 3 to 5 year if they are not working on it already, the best bet is to get in front of it ad a database parent-and-child keys or charge a buck more for each extra user that way you get something over nothing, or wait and see :smile: software engineer are a dime a dozen these days.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So guys ?

Are there any ways to have multiple Windows User without installing on each Windows session, each games for the oculus ?

EnlistedSea
Honored Guest

While I understand the quality of life that would come with family sharing options I can't help but think that this just opens the floodgates for abuse and fraud. 

When you buy a game you buy a license to play this game, this is generally a single-user license. 
If you let a family member/mate/work colleague play this game on your system there generally is no problem.

If you create a system where many different users can access one license there is a risk of abuse.
You'd have to build in (at the minimum) a check that makes sure that no more than 1 profile at a time is running software out of the library otherwise library sharing will become a way to avoid paying for software.

I am not surprised this isn't the first thing on Oculus' agenda as there are many factors in this. 

I understand the wish to have user profiles though because being able to have pre-sets for different users when it comes to configurations (floor height etc) makes sense. 

I think the OP found the best solution so far in that he can create different windows users to ensure there are separated savegame files (as I do understand this is a nice thing) 

Yet it works out just fine on my Playstation, Xbox, Vita, Switch, etc.