cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Threads on the Same Subject

I have respectful request for my fellow forum users.

Before creating a thread, can you please do a quick search to see if a thread on that subject already exists before you create a new one?

The jitters problem is a prime example. I understand if you want to emphasise your problem and you think a new thread is a way to highlight the issue.... but it's really not helpful in finding a solution. Many people have tried solutions, found they work, posted about the solution... and it just gets lost because there are so many threads to look though.

And even if that solution doesn't work, it's much easier to discount it and establish the correct solution when it's contained in the same thread. At the very least, it's so much easier to track down a common cause... or more likely the combination of causes when you can follow a single thread which everyone can contribute to.

Edit. here's an example of how a post can be edited to show useful information provided by additional contributors 🙂

24 REPLIES 24

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Hey DnD, did you post this thread in two different subforums to make a point? Because looking at the Home page, I see two identical threads on the same subject. Keep it in one place!  😉

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

lol I did indeed... but in 2 different section, I figured some people with the jitters will default to the support section without necessarily looking at all the discussions... but at the same time my post relates to all subjects so the general section also seemed a good idea!

but yes, it looks like I'm a hypocrite now!!

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Most threads here will be created by people new to the forum; from experience on several forums it's pretty obvious that most first posters don't spend time reading forums before posting to them. Your post would get lost for that reason alone, the other that it would drop off the front page at some point, and then there's the problem that many people just don't care, they just want their question answered and want it answered now.

Your plea won't solve anything, except you did manage to create an additional two threads on this forum that people have to wade through, potentially having to filter it out in a search result ... so yeah ... :smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...  all the perfect Rift owners don’t want the forums cluttered up with issues of others. They’d rather actually enjoy their Rifts and pretend all is sunshine and rainbows and I understand that.  The thing is the more people see these things the better.  Some of us have been dealing with this for very very long time. 

Thanks for your input shiari, can't work out whether you're agreeing with me or not.

But at least it's bumped the post to the top so won't get lost just yet. Happy wading.

@UBSERD, if you'd read my post, it explains why having a single thread on any given problem helps to solve that problem because it's the best way to find what the common issues are or what has been tried and doesn't work, it's not about who has a perfect Rift or not.

Just trying to be helpful, sorry if that isn't clear.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm a huge fan of Megathreads. It not only helps reduce clutter, but also serves as a great repository for information (e.g. one thread for Rift Extension cables).

+1

UBSERD said:

Well...  all the perfect Rift owners don’t want the forums cluttered up with issues of others. They’d rather actually enjoy their Rifts and pretend all is sunshine and rainbows and I understand that.  The thing is the more people see these things the better.  Some of us have been dealing with this for very very long time. 

That's silly. People can complain in a 20 Page thread and that doesn't look like "sunshine and rainbows," it just looks intelligent. 

shiari said:
Your plea won't solve anything, except you did manage to create an additional two threads on this forum that people have to wade through, potentially having to filter it out in a search result ... so yeah ... :smile:

The Something Awful forums have been enforcing Duplicate Thread Rules for years successfully. It's not that hard.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
The responses the people find most helpful should bubble to the top. And the responses to those responses should be threaded. No one has time to read through pages and pages of a thread to find useful information. 

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

No one has time to read through pages and pages of a thread to find useful information. 

As opposed to reading through pages spread across 20 different threads? 

In a Megathread, the OP is the one who updates the Main Post with the most useful information. The idea is that people just have to read the first post, but can then read and participate in the thread for the sake of contribution, debate, or fun.