cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Hubs

Tristt
Honored Guest
So, this is probably in the wrong category, maybe Support? Oh well. 

Long story short, I have my custom dekstop with more than enough USB 3.0 ports to cover everything. Now, with my ASUS-ROG laptop (1070 GTX/16 GB RAM), I have only three 3.0 USB ports, and one HDMI slot. I commute back and forth between my own, and a family member's place, and definitely want to drag around my newly Black Friday sale-bought Oculus setup so they can experience it. What I am curious and hoping for, is some sort of USB/USB-C Hub that can successfully carry sensors into the system, in theory? I hear about some working, and this would make things MUCH easier Instead of having so a plethora of cables sprouting from all angles of the laptop.

In Theory:
All 3.0 USB Hub Here

Or, even better, one that could handle the HDMI output? (This one is farfetched, and I know the risk of possibly frying anything that is connected to something like this. Would be insane and extremely useful, for basically the whole setup if it did. )
Two 3.0 USB, One 2.0 USB, HDMI Output to USB-C

I've also ordered extension cables in the event that I'd ever need them. I love the VR experience so far, and cutting out the nuances would be extremely nice.  🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Meat_Man
Expert Protege
Some people like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006TTA75Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Assuming that you only have two sensors as of now, your investment might be better spent on extension cables rather than a hub.  Right now, I just have all the cables coming from all parts of my PC, but they are zip tied together.  It doesn't look as nice as a USB hub, but I think it is just as effective, unless you want a third sensor.   

elboffor
Consultant
I hope some cracks this and and recomends a decent usb 3.1 to 3.0 hub.
I want to minimize the wires going from my sim pit/gaming station to my sensors.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm yet to find any external hub that works with my Rift. Only the internal usb card works for me. I have my Rift on extension cables because I prefer room scale. If that's anything to do with it I'm not sure.

ashlylallen
Honored Guest

Laptops these days don't have enough ports, although the power source for the hub is a great feature. When hooking up multiple devices to a computer that may not have enough power output, it is necessary to have a supplemental power source.