cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got home today very excited to see Oculus released an update. I was telling myself ok finally they may have looked into the issues and released a fix for the stuttering described in many posts blowing up on the forums lately. Well I wish you had the ability to rollback the updates, because my performance now is incredibly bad. This was the only thing that updated on my PC today and now the Rift stutters when things load more than yesterday by a large margin. For the people that have these issues, and never had Rivatuner, Msi Afterburner etcetera, did this update improve, or make your performance worse?
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Trust me man. I’ve tried all of that stuff all of it.  I think others have tried all of that stuff too. I don’t think this is as cut and dry as some people say it is. I have not successfully played a rift game in a very long time because I am constantly troubleshooting and looking up things on the forums. I’ve  reformatted many time and rolled back drivers, dropped super sampling on both the oculus tray tool, and in Steam VR. Same results.

M4cgyv3rBrady
Honored Guest
same issue here, started a few days ago. I've had the rift now for less than a month and i've formatted my PC twice already to resolve issues...

Mine actually started freezing the whole screen and then after a while would go black, rolling back the nvidia driver seems to have helped but now pcars 2 is unplayable.. FML  

I've logged a ticket.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can I suggest something. When your Rift is running great you should download a free SSD HDD back up program called AOMEI. You can then backup you SSD or HDD by taken an image of it when all is good and if you have any problems after that, then you just use the program to roll back the SSD or HDD to exactly how it was before the problems started. I make two backup, always leaving one when I know my computer was running great. Here's the link to the program..

https://www.aomeitech.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable
@lovethis Thank you for providing that back up software I appreciate it. Once I get this thing running properly I’m going to definitely take advantage of that.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@UBSERD - What are your specs and I presume your using Windows 10? If you have reinstalled Windows and you haven't accidentally enabled to much SuperSampling, then it has to point to hardware or some program that has been installed after the Windows install. Look on your taskbar and see what you have running. Also, disconnect anything you have on your computer apart from the Rift/ Monitor. Might be conflict with another device like a mouse or it's software etc. I also answered you in the other thread about about the Nvidia driver and usb ports for the sensors. Did you pick that up and try what I suggested there?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows 10, i7 6700 k, Gtx 1080 FE, 16 gigs intel ram. 1T SSD, MSI motherboard but not sure which but it’s only about a year or two old.

Nothing has changed since October as far as software other than games and before then performance was much better. I used to only have occasional jitters in select games, now even when loading games on the Rift, the oculus grid showing the game logos I see the logo jump around. When it does that it’s a tell tale sign the game will have stutter/jitters but not constantly. It’ll be smooth for a minute, then jitter then smooth the jitter. Some games are better performing than others.

i do have a Corsair keyboard and mouse combo but I’ve always had that since ive had the Rift and has been smooth with that so I’m not sure that’s it. 

I’ve tried every combo of USBs I have. I haven’t changed hardware at all and it used to run good on what I have. 

Thanks for for putting in your input!! 
This is crazy how much must be done to get this to work right.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Have you tested your GPU temp & CPU temp when using the Rift? Re-seated the GPU by taken it out of the slot and putting it back in.. Also checked the GPU's performance? Also gone into task manager and looked under processors to make sure nothing else is using the Cpu that shouldn't be? Ran Malwarebytes which is free, just to make sure you haven't picked up malware or virus that slows up your computer?

Edit: By the way you describe it, it's like some hardware fault or something has installed itself into Windows. I say this because of it gradually getting worse over time. Are you able to borrow a different Graphics Card to rule that out? It's a pain in the ass when computers go wrong and is a process of elimination unfortunately. A few Hardware faults can cause what you are describing, but so can a corrupt Windows install or program.

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I will give Malwarebytes a shot. I do have windows defender but I guess that won’t pick up all malware?  As far as the GPU I’m a little scared because I don’t build PCs at all. I’m always afraid that I’m going to send an electrical shock and destroy my whole rig. I may have to just take it back to my local computer shop to have him re-seat the GPU and maybe do some diagnostics on it. He does a lot of testing on my rig too but he never finds anything wrong.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So when they guy at the shop has it running smooth, I saw you mention this in another thread. He doesn't say what caused it? He should say what the problem was and then you know next time what to look for. Try running Malwarebytes because if you have a lot of malware or a virus it will slow down the PC. You can also look at your Cpu temps and Gpu temps if you know how to do that with a couple of programs.

SAOKirito
Honored Guest
Hello. I am having issues with my client. Somehow I got a corrupted Microsoft Visual Stuidos Redistrubitable file. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it which fixed the issues I was having with my computer. However, since then, my client has not been acting properly. Whenever I put on the headset, my Oculus "Home room" will not load anything. It will not show my my friends list, my apps, nothing. However, I can go to the store. If I go find a game I already have downloaded, it says that it isn't downloaded.  (However, I can start my games via the computer client. just NOT in the headset). Once I start a game via the computer. Whenever I push my Oculus Home button, it will take me back to my Oculus "Home room" and not give me any of my options.  

I tried uninstalling my client and reinstalling it, however that has not helped at all. So I am not sure how to go about fixing this issue..