cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got home today very excited to see Oculus released an update. I was telling myself ok finally they may have looked into the issues and released a fix for the stuttering described in many posts blowing up on the forums lately. Well I wish you had the ability to rollback the updates, because my performance now is incredibly bad. This was the only thing that updated on my PC today and now the Rift stutters when things load more than yesterday by a large margin. For the people that have these issues, and never had Rivatuner, Msi Afterburner etcetera, did this update improve, or make your performance worse?
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is he doesn’t even know what makes Oculus run correctly, he does a bunch of different troubleshooting things he does for gaming rigs until something sticks. He has a Rift as well after trying mine and loving it but he tells me he has these issues as well. Maybe it’s something he’s doing wrong?? He has said he’d been back and fourth with support for weeks and they can’t lead him to what causes it??? So strange.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Without actually looking at a computer it's hard to tell what your doing wrong. You said it was working before on that computer, so this leads me to think it's a hardware fault a program or even a corrupt Windows install. I really would start from the beginning if I was you since simple trouble shooting steps don't seem to work. I would unplug all your devices apart from keyboard mouse and monitor and do a fresh reinstall of Windows including it's motherboard drivers.

I would then reinstall the Oculus Rift before anything else and see if it works alright. I would then take a image of my SSD with the software I told you to get and then add software or games one at a time testing to see if the Rift still works fine after each install. I would also do this using just a cheap mouse because I have known mouse and keyboard software to cause conflicts. If you have done all I have already told you to do, then this is the only way your going to know what is causing it. Did you test the temps like I said though or even borrow a Graphics card?

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I’m still at work. When I get home I’ll see. To monitor the temps can I do that in task manager?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
I always install CPUID HWMonitor you want to make sure your cpu and gpu are not going above 70C when a game is running. idle none of my cores really get above 40cg0d8s82mg5lt.png

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
For the graphics I use GPU z and look at the sensor tab for temp when downloaded.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

For CPU I use core temp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

You could use what zork2001 suggested for the Cpu, but I use the ones I've linked to monitor temps. Test the temps both when playing games and when idle. But do check other things I've suggested, like looking in task manger to see if anything else is using your processor and running Malwarebytes..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info and the help lovethis and zork2001!! I really appreciate it. I'm downloading the temp monitoring software now. I'll report back to let you know what turns up.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a shot of what Lucky's Tale is giving me using what you recommended after playing it for about 5 minutes. I'm not sure what I'm looking at so does this look like it's within normal parameters lovethis? Again I really appreciate you sticking with me helping all you can with my delema!!9fyht0g81u3v.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
While playing Lucky's animation was jittery a bit but I remember when I got the game originally he moved around really smooth. It's like he was missing frames of animation.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Yes those temps are fine. Have you tried running Malwarebytes yet? Also, disabling some programs in task manager/startup tab, that are not needed to run the Rift? just to test if it's a background program causing it? This has got to be something simple and I'm just trying to rap my head around it. Are you also using a hdmi extension cable for the rift and is this a two sensor setup? Did you have another Hdmi port you could plug the Rift into? Please answer all questions.

The easiest thing would be to set the Rift up on another computer and if it worked you would know for certain it was something on your PC.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Three sensors, two plugged into one usb 3.0 fresco logic powered hub, one in usb 2.0, no extension on the hdmi for the Rift.  I Used Malwarebytes as soon as I got home today and it didn’t find anything.  What programs should I look for to disable in task manager? 

Also the new oculus update that just came out about 10 minutes ago made my performance much worse at least in Robo Recall. “1.20.02” I even turned the computer completely off and then back on again to make sure it wouldn’t mess anything up.  Now the touch controllers don’t vibrate and it’s chugging a lot worse than before in that game. I’m getting constant performance problems now as opposed to yesterday when it only occasionally jittered. 😞

Are you around your rift at the moment where you can test that and let me know how it’s running for you? I guess it also depends on if the new update has come through for you yet I’m not sure where you’re located.  I’m on the East Coast in the US.