cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would someone check to see if this is a general touch issue, please?

Precache
Explorer
I just got my oculus (with touch) in last week, and I've been having a problem with my thumbsticks locking into position (virtually not physically). I'll be playing a game that uses them and after a minute they will lock into position until I press either of the two top buttons(A&B or X&Y).

After thinking about it for a while, I think the problem is that the oculus touch controller is going into standby during gameplay e.g. a firmware bug. After contacting technical support, they are treating it like a faulty controller, and have asked for an INSANE amount of documentation, I basically had to spend half a day making videos of the issue, and I think I've only been dealing with people reading off a tech support script, (no real connection to oculus, no one who can actually report a bug to the firmware team)

I believe the issue is that the oculus touch doesn't take analog stick movements into account when deciding whether or not to go to sleep. Could you help test this for me?

1) open the device page to see the touches status (on or standby)
2) Once a touch controller is in standby, waggle the analog stick (without moving the controller at all, you may have to prop it up, or rest it in your lap), see if it comes out of standby.
3) press x,y,a, or b to take it out of standby
4) hold the thumbstick up, like you are using it to move forward (don't click a thumbbutton), and wait about 60 seconds to see if it goes into standby.
5) if it does go into standby, waggle the stick (without moving it) and see if it comes out of standby.

I've had this happen ingame in subnautica, lucky's tale, and aircar. So if you happen to have one of those and can test the issue there, I would appreciate it. I'm not sure if moving the analog control will keep it from entering standby, but I think it doesn't.
20 REPLIES 20

Precache
Explorer
bumping because I've changed  the OP significantly.

Roaster
Rising Star
Yes, standby mode is not woke up from jus sticky-waggle. Button mash good though. Same for right and left units.
Just picking up a controller does wake it up, so not sure about other fail mode while holding stick.
Confirmed touch goes to sleep while holding stick fwd.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

cybereality
Grand Champion
Must have missed this thread originally. Yeah, that sounds like a problem and we should look into it. Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for details on how to get that file:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Precache
Explorer

Roaster said:

Yes, standby mode is not woke up from jus sticky-waggle. Button mash good though. Same for right and left units.
Just picking up a controller does wake it up, so not sure about other fail mode while holding stick.
Confirmed touch goes to sleep while holding stick fwd.

Thanks Roaster! The tech support team just got back to me that they can't repro the issue, so I'll push back on that (as politely as possible).

Roaster
Rising Star
Well that's strange. I got the $200 controllers too. I never used joysticks much, but I'd like to extend the wake period to five min at least.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Precache
Explorer

Must have missed this thread originally. Yeah, that sounds like a problem and we should look into it. Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for details on how to get that file:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
Thanks.

I put links to the uploaded files in a post and the forum said it needs to wait for the post to be approved before it is visible. Anyway, my support ticket is 449478 and should have the log files you've requested(or at least links to them), as I've collected them for the support staff. FYI, right now they are treating it like I have two defective controllers.

Precache
Explorer

Thanks.

Okay figured it out. Here is the log file:

Roaster
Rising Star
 Anyone else do the test?

you said, support ticket 449478? That's almost exactly how many copies of the Rift have been sold.

Precache
Explorer
You might be interested in this thread, it looks like the issue has been around since at least July.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/555529