cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Stuttering

bsselp
Protege
So went in to play some Rift yesterday for the first time in a while and suddenly noticed that in the Home screen, when I turn my head right or left, there's a pretty noticeable stuttering effect of the image. It also happens when moving my head up or down, but not as much. I repositioned and reset all of the 3 cameras and went through the entire setup process multiple times and the same thing is happening. I read elsewhere that MSI Afterburner could be causing the issues so I uninstalled that and no change. I tried playing a few games and the same thing. Noticeable stutter when moving my head. I have an Nvidia gtx1080. Could this be an issue with their latest driver release? It really makes the Rift almost unplayable.
62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please all still having these issues, make your voice heard in this post I just put on the forums after you receive the 1.20.01 update. For those having stuttering, and hitching issues, has your performance gotten worse since 1.20.01?
Thanks!

christopher_dru
Honored Guest
@vds32 I believe Windows 10 also has the XBox app which has the option to do its own overlay, similar to the Nvidia overlay. Also, doesn't Steam have its own option as well? I think there might even be other apps/services that try do it. I wonder if there is benefit to checking all similar services and disabling every last one of them? I'm going to do your Nvidia trick tonight!

Eclipse8301
Honored Guest
This has been driving me crazy for months, my Rift setup worked flawless until like a month or so ago. I have tried moving my sensors about 10 different Nvidia drivers and about a hundred other failed suggestions i found on the net. I don't have afterburner but I do have precision X which I disabled power % on and had completely off while on the Oculus. About the only thing I have not tried is I read in one place that teamviewer server running in the background will affect performance. I  can't kill the process as it will just reappear again.

Anyone that has stuttering have teamviewer by chance?

My setup
3 sensor setup.
1070 GTX
I7 7700K
Win 10 with fall update installed

Things I have tried off the top of my head
-Removed mirrors
-Moved sensors all around
-7-10 different driver set (clean install)
-Turned game mode off in windows settings
-Precision X changes as noted above
-on screen recording (Geforce experience)
-Max performance is of course on in Nvidia options and my PC.
-a ton of other things I can't think of at the moment

detroitslayer
Honored Guest
My stutter was found in my task manager. Service host processes spiking my performance. 2 of them specifically had my CPU holding around 40-50% usage at idle. When I launched Oculus, Id watch the CPU max and the stutter occur. I killed the processes and got the stutter to go away for good. What Im seeing though is alot of this stutter issue is based on system setup, so my fix could be irrelevant. This stutter showed up after Coco download.

2 sensors
I5-7600k
1080 FTW hybrid

Side note:
Prior to finding and killing the processes, I checked my device manager and there was a conflict on the USB 3.0 port the headset was plugged into. Swapped it with a sensor and it resolved. Did notice an improvement in stutter prior to my ultimate resolve.

blanes
Rising Star
I have the Oculus 1.20 update and latest nvidia drivers and the stutter is bad plus my performance has dropped hugely.  Picked up battlezone on the Steam sale and can only run at Low settings with pixel density / supersampling at 0.80 otherwise is stutters and lags and makes me sick really quick.  Has anyone found solution ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Go to this link at the bottom to bring you to this magical forum post.  Look at the comment from aisepos! His suggestion actually fixed everything. Oculus has never suggested this but now they will. This man is a genius and he actually figured out why I was having my problems... all 6 months of them.  I can’t guarantee it’s a cure all but I hope this helps you too and give him a shout if you see him. He is a God!!!! 

Thanks to everyone in their suggestions if they are reading this. I really appreciate all the help and working together to figure out these things for the community.

See you in the Rift!

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58073/poor-tracking-quality-audio-glitches-lagging-...

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
@UBSERD - You really shouldn't jump on every thread dealing with the weird NVidia caused stuttering and claim that it's solved, when you come back the next day saying that it did in fact NOT help you. This makes people think there actually is a solution to this problem, if you write it everywhere.

Also... it's sad, that the discussion about the NVidia driver f*ck up is spread over dozens of different threads, instead of just dealing with one thread (hint at the mods to merge them).

A temporary solution to the problem is to roll back to the July/August release of the Nvidia drivers (as described in this thread: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/59281/nvidia-drivers-and-oculus-rift-head-tracking-stutter-judder), but unfortunately, the new Oculus Home screen doesn't work with these old drivers (only in "classic" mode). It's all a huge mess, largely ignored by NVidia.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Sharkster-NVR I can see your point.

If support was actually able to help with these issues or have actual helpful feedback I wouldn’t of had to post things like I do.

Instead they tell me it’s my hardware or drivers which were and are fully up to date but in actuality it’s that their software wasn’t designed for every combo of even some of the most elite hardware. Doesn’t make sense man.

What am I to do then just deal? By the by I also tried what you linked above and also no dice.

Anything to try as a solution should be welcomed not shunned. I was just trying to help people man.  Any piece of information that could possibly solve one person’s problem makes it worthwhile for me. 

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
You rolled back to 384.94 and it didn't help? Did you check if Windows auto-updated back to the current NVidia drivers after the install? You need to make sure to really fully delete/uninstall the current drivers and also make sure, Windows doesn't just auto-update after you rolled back. DDU uninstaller helps with that task (display driver uninstaller). To me, it got rid of ALL stutters. And I was experimenting a lot with BIOS etc. too, before I came to that solution.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually use DDU to uninstall clean, then installing directly from Nvidias site. I will try it again and report back. I haven’t tried since Rift 2.0 to be honest but I heard going too far back with the drivers after the Rift core 2  breaks a bunch of games. I’m guessing this is not the case for you Sharkster-NVR?