Poor tracking quality, audio glitches, lagging etc after half hour of use - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Poor tracking quality, audio glitches, lagging etc after half hour of use

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 457
    Nexus 6
    The sensors don't work well in dim light. The the light shine.
  • Urma.GurdUrma.Gurd Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    Not sure what dim light has to do with this issue. We’ve been describing a system that works for short period then starts showing all these tracking, audio. and stuttering issues. It’s a PC environment problem not a real world environment problem.

And to UBSERD, I’m sorry  to hear the problem returned after changing XMP, but that was exactly my experience too, didn’t fix it long term. 

I would be be interested to see if a fresh windows install works for you. 
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 348
    Nexus 6
    @Urma.Gurd  thanks bud. I hope it makes a difference for me too but I don’t think it will. I’ve already gone through this rodeo about 10 times already but maybe my pc tech was doing something he shouldn’t have while installing it. I asked him to reach out to oculus for any possible things he is doing that could mess up my computer for the worst for the oculus software. Soo... we’ll see I guess..

I just don’t understand why it’s so difficult to get oculus running correctly. It shouldn’t be that hard. We’ve had an entire year plus of it being in the wild and it doesn’t make sense that there can’t be some type of diagnostics program to verify all things that will mess oculus up provided by Oculus, Or when installing oculus it telling you some red flags to be aware of. They should’ve told people from the very beginning that you can only use oculus ready PCs provided by oculus. I bet those work perfectly.
    Nexus 6
     It’s OK though I’ve been playing on my PS VR lately and I have to say I’ve been enjoying the hell out of that again. Skyrim and doom vfr on that aren’t that bad at all and they perform consistently with the lower performance. I prefer that over smooth then jerky then smooth then jerky any day of the week. I really hope oculus can do something to alleviate some things in their software because I don’t hear of any other headset having these many issues with constant errors, or performance dips.
  • AymitoAymito Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Oculus new driver 1.20 is not stable at all, some times it work , most of the time stuttering occur, I don't know what make this change ??
    Set "OVR server Priority to Above normal" from Oculus tray do help sometimes, and most of times not ...??

Its really a very strange performance issue with no clear solution until now !!!! :/

Nexus 6
    @Aymito sorry you are going through it too man. It’s very frustrating.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,274 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    @UBSERD - Did you do all I suggested? I've looked through your posts and I'm starting to believe you have a hardware fault, possibly your graphics card. You have mentioned in your previous posts that you have reinstalled windows on a number of occasions and even as far back as Oct 2016, you have mentioned you had stutters in the Rift in this forum. 

A clean Windows reinstall will get rid of any corrupt OS or software related issue. And if you did try the Rift before installing anymore software after a clean Windows reinstall, then this tells me it's not software, malware or virus related. Any software can cause a conflict so you need to test the Rift before installing anything else after a windows re-install. If you did do that you should now look at Hardware as a possible cause to the problems your having. Even your Rift could be faulty, so I would ask the bloke where you take your computer to be fixed to test the Rift on one of his computers. This might even be the memory that's playing up if you said disabling the XMP worked for a short time. Have you tried re-seating the memory or trying individual sticks taken one stick out leaving the other one in etc?

If Oculus are denying this is anything to do with their update and it's not the new Windows update, then what I'm suggesting might be the real cause. Oculus must know by now if it's an update problem and if they are keeping quite it's not good. Not only does it waste people's time here, it also shows them to be not quite on the ball, if they don't know their own update or a windows update is causing a problem. 
  • Robbo_CopRobbo_Cop Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your comments here everyone, I have exactly the same type of problems as the OP. I don't know how I didn't find this thread in my searching before.

Funnily enough I am running a ROG Maximus Hero VIII mobo and all the bloatware that Asus include with it. I have most of it closed or disabled, but I will go ahead and uninstall it now and see what happens
  • Robbo_CopRobbo_Cop Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I just want to thank everyone again, this worked perfectly and I can now start games with no fear of the whole thing dying in the a*$ half-way through a session.

Looks like the bloatware was causing the whole issue, I have since uninstalled it all and everything is working as advertised. Now the only problem I am having is getting hot standing next to my computer for long sessions, its a good problem to have ;)
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    Robbo_Cop said:
    Looks like the bloatware was causing the whole issue, I have since uninstalled it all and everything is working as advertised. 
    Yeah I strongly suspect this was my issue too, and uninstalling the awful ASUS motherboard software failed and left drivers on the machine. And unfortunately only a clean Windows install would solve it

I think the Oculus team need to reach out to ASUS and work with them to resolve this issue. 
    edited December 2017
    I never install all the crap software that comes with my motherboard. I just install the drivers that come on the Motherboard disc for usb's etc. I also don't install Nvidia experience. On my gaming computer I don't even install any printer software, because some of that rubbish makes my computer run slow. Just install the drivers for things and you'll have less hassle.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    So moral of the story is don't blame Oculus first - blame everything else first then blame drivers:)
    edited December 2017
    Mradr said:
    So moral of the story is don't blame Oculus first - blame everything else first then blame drivers:)

Yes - Oculus is just a connected device, it's your computer that's running it for the most part.
    Brain Burst
    Mradr said:
    Moral of the story is a lot of Oculus users are hitting this issue over and over on gaming rigs. Oculus team need to help identify problems with those vendors and suggest changes/fixes
    edited December 2017
    Urma.Gurd said:
    Mradr said:
    Moral of the story is a lot of Oculus users are hitting this issue over and over on gaming rigs. Oculus team need to help identify problems with those vendors and suggest changes/fixes

With all due respect how is Oculus to know that the Asus software is to blame? Oculus logs only show what's happening with the Oculus Rift and certain other things. It is Asus that needs to look at their software and make it work with VR, not the other way around. If Oculus had to work around every bit of software that caused a conflict with VR, then then they might as well give up. They can't fix Asus software for them, it's Asus that need to do that and check it's compatible with one of the biggest things (VR) that has arrived since gaming began on a computer.

Anyways someone from Oculus did workout it was Asus software.. His name is cybereality. Wether or not Asus wants to do anything about that is upto them, it's not for Oculus to inform ever company they have a problem with their software working with VR.
    Brain Burst
    I don’t understand. You answered your own question. Oculus know ASUs software causes issues as above. Now is time to work with ASUs to help find a solution

OR they could just carry on knowing a large number of oculus customers will continue to have problems with oculus which has the appearance of harming the brand whether that is justified or not but that is the perception. 

edited December 2017
    Urma.Gurd said:
    I don’t understand. You answered your own question. Oculus know ASUs software causes issues as above. Now is time to work with ASUs to help find a solution

OR they could just carry on knowing a large number of oculus customers will continue to have problems with oculus which has the appearance of harming the brand whether that is justified or not but that is the perception. 

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but Oculus don't really need to work with Asus. If Asus has a problem they should look into it and fix it. The people who own Asus boards should contact Asus and tell them that their software is causing a problem with the Oculus VR Headset. Then hopefully Asus will fix their software.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Urma.Gurd said:

Asus is the one that needs to be fix it - they are supplying the software that is not needed for their motherboard. They also had problems with the software in the past even with windows. Are you saying windows/MS should be fixing their mistakes as well? Na- it's Asus that needs to fix it. They leave registry entries when they shouldn't when removing the software and cause other software to freak out with misreadings. In the past, USB are also mess up because of the software - so it's totally something Asus really needs to work on.
    Brain Burst
    I’m saying they should work together. Do you think Microsoft doesn’t get approached by various driver manufacturers to work on compatibility issues, or that game developers don’t reach out to driver manufacturers to make changes? 

As as it stands, ASUs won’t change a thing because no one with the appropriate level of detailed information is approaching them to explain the problem. 

We we can all hope ASUs come here and read this board or will listen to the handful of people who bother to raise a ticket, but in reality that won’t happen. 

Ok, let’s leave things as they are and see if ASUs magically fix this (hint they won’t) 
    edited December 2017
    @Urma.Gurd - This isn't a driver issue that breaks Windows, it's the Asus software causing problems with a VR Headset. Why does Oculus have to work with Asus when it's an Asus software problem? Oculus work for themselves making their own software compatible with Windows. Why should they have to worry about other companies software like Asus? If people are reporting to Asus that their software is causing problems with the Oculus headset and you think Asus won't listen to them, then what makes you think they'll listen to Oculus?

Asus needs to contact Oculus about this if they require assistance, instead of packing bloatware with their motherboards that cause all sorts of problems and expecting Oculus to remedy it. The thing to do is not install all this bloatware in the first place. I never install any of it because I know stuff like this causes problems..
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    Ok, I’ll wait for ASUS to find out about this issue and take action

hint they won’t. 

But do game developers wait for nvidia and AMD to discover bugs in their drivers or bloatware when their games don’t work in hard to diagnose circumstances, even when the problem is clearly AMD or nvidia’s fault?

hint no they don’t, the devs reach out to nvidia and AMD to explain the issues in a technical way that end users typically can’t because they have access to a large amount of customer reported data. 

We we can argue round and round but ultimately it doesn’t help Oculus to ignore this known issue when ASUS are completely at fault and also none the wiser. 

Nexus 6
    What do you do when your pc/laptop locks you out of deleting your motherboard bloatware when it’s preinstalled then? I’ve tried and it won’t let me get rid of my nerve center on my Lenovo Y720. I’m not sure if that’s my issue on my lappy but I’m getting jitter when moving touch around and occasionally when turning my head. The thing is changing my oculus firmware effects the performance. So if it’s not oculus then why does it change?

With rift core 2.0 it’s totally unstable for me. If I’m in the store it runs pretty well but if I go to home the stutter starts. Also if I click the desktop icon it freezes my laptop and must hard reset because it locks everything up including control alt delete. Also using rift core 2.0 I’m getting constant usb disconnects that don’t happen on the current rifts update. Because of this I rolled back to the good July nvidia update released, and also the current firmware for oculus which performs better, but still get micro stuttering every 3 seconds.
    edited December 2017
    Urma.Gurd said:

But do game developers wait for nvidia and AMD to discover bugs in their drivers or bloatware when their games don’t work in hard to diagnose circumstances, even when the problem is clearly AMD or nvidia’s fault?

hint no they don’t, the devs reach out to nvidia and AMD to explain the issues in a technical way that end users typically can’t because they have access to a large amount of customer reported data. 

We we can argue round and round but ultimately it doesn’t help Oculus to ignore this known issue when ASUS are completely at fault and also none the wiser. 

That's why I said Asus should reach out to Oculus and not the other way around. If Asus don't want to do that, it's not Oculus fault. If Asus want to ignore their customers complaints, again that's not Oculus's fault. I hope Asus do fix it for people, but I still wouldn't install their bloatware. 
    Brain Burst
    As above, do game developers (think oculus) ignore issues with nvidia or AMD (think ASUS) hardware drivers or bloatware? No they don’t, the game developers take proactive action and reach to the hardware giants on behalf of the customers.

Amd and nvidia are at fault but but the game developers don’t wait for AMD and nvidia to get enough meaningful problem reports from customers.   
    Brain Burst
    UBSERD said:
    What do you do when your pc/laptop locks you out of deleting your motherboard bloatware when it’s preinstalled then? I’ve tried and it won’t let me get rid of my nerve center on my Lenovo Y720. I’m not sure if that’s my issue on my lappy but I’m getting jitter when moving touch around and occasionally when turning my head. The thing is changing my oculus firmware effects the performance. So if it’s not oculus then why does it change?

With rift core 2.0 it’s totally unstable for me. If I’m in the store it runs pretty well but if I go to home the stutter starts. Also if I click the desktop icon it freezes my laptop and must hard reset because it locks everything up including control alt delete. Also using rift core 2.0 I’m getting constant usb disconnects that don’t happen on the current rifts update. Because of this I rolled back to the good July nvidia update released, and also the current firmware for oculus which performs better, but still get micro stuttering every 3 seconds.
    I think this is worthy of a new thread. This thread is about the older Oculus software. 
    edited December 2017
    Well maybe Oculus might reach out to Asus who knows. But if Asus don't listen to their customers problems what makes you think they will listen to Oculus? I'm not sure what the disagreement is here. All I'm saying is that Asus should reach out to Oculus if they have had complaints that their sofware is preventing the Oculus headset working as it should, just like game devs do to Nvidia if their games don't work.
    Brain Burst
    And I’m being realistic. I would bet money ASUs don’t know about this issue, because it’s very hard to prove. I have no data to give them, it’s just subjective anecdotal evidence from this forum. I tried to raise the issue myself but the ticket process is so arduous and expects it to be a hardware issue. 

So being realistic I know ASUS won’t do anything about this because they dont know about this

And just like game developers don’t wait for their customers to go through the arduous effort of raising issues with AMD or nvidia, the game developers monitor their support forums and when they see a common factor they then reach out to AMD and NVIDIA (as they have special dev support contracts) and speed up the fault diagnosis and reporting. 

We we are in total agreement. This is almost certainly an ASUS bloatware issue. But to hope that ASUS will do anything about it off their own backs when they most likely don’t know about it is naive. 
    edited December 2017
    I would suspect that they will know about it because VR is future tech and I'm sure some of the Asus staff will have Oculus VR headsets. They obviously want to sell their motherboards, so to ignore anyone's complaint without checking it out, would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Nobody who owned a Oculus VR Headset would want to purchase another Asus motherboard if they didn't look into people's complaints, so it should be in their interest to look into it. I just hope they sort it out for there own sake and other people's who purchased these motherboards.

I think Oculus support will now tell people to uninstall the Asus software and to contact Asus about this issue, so I think they will end up getting the message. Maybe Oculus might inform Asus though, I just don't know.
    @UBSERD - I think someone already mentioned the Laptop isn't an Oculus ready Laptop. 
    Brain Burst
    Agreed. I hope Oculus know can advise ASUS customers of best course of action, however uninstalling bloatware didn’t help me. Only reinstall Windows 10 worked. ASUs sell an awful lot of motherboards (let alone their over devices or licensed hardware) and Oculus for the best will in the world.... don’t. 

In in the end, customers will lose out unless someone does something.

Oculus you have the ball, reach out to ASUS on our behalf please.