cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vuze 3D 360 vr camera

Maaco
Explorer
The Vuze vr camera got my attention and I even considered buying one but... then I downloaded some (4K) demo movies from their site and watched them with my Rift  using Virtual Desktop( Steam) and was really very disappointed by the poor  image quality! I was surprised by this after reading so many positive reviews about this camera on the internet. So my questions are if there are otters that also think the image quality is bad, or maybe if my expectations might have been too high or if the combination with the Rift isn’t the best? 

Thanks,
Maaco
23 REPLIES 23

Maaco
Explorer
Ok...obviously this isn’t the right place to discuss 360 3D cameras 😉 It’s probably way to early for vr video anyway as you need to pay around 900 Euros for a cam with crappy image quality.

zboson
Superstar
I wish there were more discussion about 360 VR cameras.

I think the problem is that 360 is a misnomer because it only describes an angle measured in a plane. What really should be described is solid angles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steradian

In terms of steradiants it would be 4pi over the full sphere. Imagine your screen covered 120 degrees horizontal and 120 degrees vertical. That's 1/3 of the sphere in each direction or just 1/6 of steradian of the total sphere.  But if you spread the full 4K on the sphere then in the region that you view the resolution is about 1/6 of that or about 700x700.

I am no expert I'm just making a guess here. But I think you need far more resolution to get hi resolution over the full sphere. Maybe something like 24k. That might be a reason that Google uses 17 cameras in their Yi Halo

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-halo-vr-camera
https://vr.google.com/jump/

nosys70
Expert Protege
since there is no player or hardware to play high quality 360 videos, this is not really a problem.
with the new Pimax 8k we will eventually get a tool that give credit to highres video, but it is still a green banana.
if you want quality, the best choice is the Insta360 pro 8k, that gives you the best for the less money.
if you want to go cheap and easy, the ricoh theta V is a great product.

nosys70 said:

since there is no player or hardware to play high quality 360 videos, this is not really a problem.
with the new Pimax 8k we will eventually get a tool that give credit to highres video, but it is still a green banana.
if you want quality, the best choice is the Insta360 pro 8k, that gives you the best for the less money.
if you want to go cheap and easy, the ricoh theta V is a great product.

I second that.  Looks amazing and a "reasonable" price.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

If the Pimax 8K arrives, you may be a little disappointed in its detail rendering if you're expecting a big leap. It's upscaling 4K and spreading that over 120 deg so pixels per degree, although higher, won't be stellar.

I'm really interested in getting a 360 camera but am holding out for at least an 8K stereoscopic camera that's well under £1000. The current contender is the Insta360 Pro which is £3,000.

Considering the Ozo was $45,000, we seem to be getting there, maybe a couple more years.

Roaster
Rising Star
Possible contender at $1500 ...
clohzvmmjhwe.jpg
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

That look interesting @Roaster, I hadn't heard of that one. 3 of those would give a 12K 360 video. Only problem is the separate cameras, so there'd be a little extra hassle getting files together & stitched. The price is good for the specs though.

nosys70
Expert Protege

everything that cannot spit a 360 image is a PITA to say the less.

stitching is part of the past, even for multiple camera devices.

Ricoh was one to offer a simple device giving quality 360 pictures and video.

if you have been through stitching multiple camera videos and then used a one shot camera, you would understand what i mean.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Maaco said:

The Vuze vr camera got my attention and I even considered buying one but... then I downloaded some (4K) demo movies from their site and watched them with my Rift  using Virtual Desktop( Steam) and was really very disappointed by the poor  image quality! I was surprised by this after reading so many positive reviews about this camera on the internet. So my questions are if there are otters that also think the image quality is bad, or maybe if my expectations might have been too high or if the combination with the Rift isn’t the best? 

Have you tried watching it in GearVR? The Mobile VR technology showcases 360 video better than the Rift and Vive currently. I own the 360Fly 4K, and it looks much better on my Cardboard VR than in my Rift. It's just the nature of these screens currently.