cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would someone check to see if this is a general touch issue, please?

Precache
Explorer
I just got my oculus (with touch) in last week, and I've been having a problem with my thumbsticks locking into position (virtually not physically). I'll be playing a game that uses them and after a minute they will lock into position until I press either of the two top buttons(A&B or X&Y).

After thinking about it for a while, I think the problem is that the oculus touch controller is going into standby during gameplay e.g. a firmware bug. After contacting technical support, they are treating it like a faulty controller, and have asked for an INSANE amount of documentation, I basically had to spend half a day making videos of the issue, and I think I've only been dealing with people reading off a tech support script, (no real connection to oculus, no one who can actually report a bug to the firmware team)

I believe the issue is that the oculus touch doesn't take analog stick movements into account when deciding whether or not to go to sleep. Could you help test this for me?

1) open the device page to see the touches status (on or standby)
2) Once a touch controller is in standby, waggle the analog stick (without moving the controller at all, you may have to prop it up, or rest it in your lap), see if it comes out of standby.
3) press x,y,a, or b to take it out of standby
4) hold the thumbstick up, like you are using it to move forward (don't click a thumbbutton), and wait about 60 seconds to see if it goes into standby.
5) if it does go into standby, waggle the stick (without moving it) and see if it comes out of standby.

I've had this happen ingame in subnautica, lucky's tale, and aircar. So if you happen to have one of those and can test the issue there, I would appreciate it. I'm not sure if moving the analog control will keep it from entering standby, but I think it doesn't.
20 REPLIES 20

Precache
Explorer

Must have missed this thread originally. Yeah, that sounds like a problem and we should look into it. Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file here? See this thread for details on how to get that file:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
Thanks.

Sure, my tech support ticket is https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/requests/449478

And you can grab my oculus log files off my onedrive here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aunq9bY9QBTohCiRSshiN-fDOZDL

A video of the problem here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aunq9bY9QBTohCkLc4sQdH9QCPpF

And it's effect in Aircar here:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aunq9bY9QBTohCrdYX57_SVnqFRL

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for posting. I will share with the team.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Diesel128
Explorer
Same issue here. I've recreated the problem literally over 100 times while testing a game i'm working on, which relies heavily on joystick inputs. It took me a while to figure out why my character would suddenly stop responding to stick inputs at seemingly random intervals while using the touch controllers. It turns out that each controller was entering standby mode after exactly 1 minute without any inputs to the buttons, even while the joysticks were actively in use. Motion to the controllers will also prevent them from entering standby mode, however, the threshold is quite high for motion to wake them while playing. The controllers were basically held perfectly still, with nothing but slight (but not stationary) joystick inputs for exactly 1 minute to reproduce the issue every time. I was able to open the oculus app while playing and watch under the devices tab where each controller would go into "standby mode". It would appear that there needs to be some test for joystick inputs outside of some small threshold value to prevent the controllers from entering sleep mode, rather than just checking for the joystick's extremity.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just happened upon this thread (the signal to noise ratio of the forum is not very high, especially these days). I can confirm the exact same issue with my Touch controllers, which I bought around May 2017.

It's really annoying particularly when I play seated, because I will tend to have my hands holding the controllers on my lap, and each time either of the controllers falls asleep, which is all the time, I must lift my hand just about as high as my head to wake it back up.

Also, at least in my case, the trigger and grip buttons do not count as wake-up events.

Diesel128
Explorer

LukeRoss said:

I just happened upon this thread (the signal to noise ratio of the forum is not very high, especially these days). I can confirm the exact same issue with my Touch controllers, which I bought around May 2017.

It's really annoying particularly when I play seated, because I will tend to have my hands holding the controllers on my lap, and each time either of the controllers falls asleep, which is all the time, I must lift my hand just about as high as my head to wake it back up.

Also, at least in my case, the trigger and grip buttons do not count as wake-up events.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. And your right about the grips/triggers not waking/keeping it from entering standby either. Since my thumbs are already on the joysticks I usually click them in to wake it up, but by the time I realize it happened its too late and 99% of the time it messes up whatever I was doing and have to restart. Hard to believe this has been an ongoing issue for 8 months now with no fix yet. Hopefully its just a simple firmware update. 

STFSTF
Explorer
Hi,

are there any news on this issue? I love flying in space sims (X Rebirth, Elite Dangerous) and always have the problem, that the controllers go to sleep when flying some time straight with only slight movement and only the trigger held for space ship throttle.

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please Oculus Team fix this issue. The Games make no fun if the controller gets always in standby. I have this Problem to. If you not fix it, please tell us how we can fix it.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Mmmmm OK, good that thread wake up as I was starting to think I was alone to get this problem and even started my own thread recently (https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61624/touch-idle-time-need-to-also-take-in-account-buttons-and-analog-sticks).

So it's a general problem, stick and button not take in account to raise timeout before Touch goes to sleep after 60 seconds. That's really annoying, and should be easy to fix (IMHO). The idea is not to raise the 60 seconds before going to sleep, but to check if button press or stick have also not been used during this period. I stopped X-Rebirth VR just for this as crashing your ship due to this is frustrating. Same with Aircar where my hands doesn't move and I only use Stick and button until they go to sleep and I rage quit (Hint : I'm not the kind of guy who rage quit often 😉 )

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes YoLolo69 its very anoying. I think the best way is to put the Standby Timer from 60 sec to 5 Minutes. I hope Oculus help us.

Constellation
Expert Protege

Melorien said:

I hope Oculus help us.

From this other thread it seems like they are now looking into it.