cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift - Slight left tilt

jbaert
Explorer
Hey there,

I ordered the rift+touch bundle last week, the hardware arrived today. Installed and used the Rift fine yesterday, but today I notice that my horizon (the part of the world that is supposed to be level) is slightly tilted down to the left. It's not very noticeable in games with lots of movement, but in the Oculus VR Home screen (where you see the white whiteframe) it's visible. Tilting your head to the right obviously doesn't work, because the sensor thinks that whatever it's showing is level 🙂

I read up on this, and it seems to be related to temperature issues with the IMU. The effect is definitely not as outspoken every time I use the Rift, but it annoys me enough to care....

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?
31 REPLIES 31

WATBIT
Honored Guest
Back with yet another update.  I decided to go with a fresh install of Windows and it didn't help at all.  I wiped everything and started over but as soon as First Contact started I could see the dreaded slant.  

conconcraft
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue with my oculus rift just got it yesterday IDK what to do

WATBIT
Honored Guest
I'm still working with the Oculus team to fix my 2nd unit. It's sadly worse than the first one. I feel like I'm in a crappy situation with this thing. I'm way beyond the the return period and can't sell a broken unit. Though I'd prefer to get this fixed.

RickyReject
Explorer

WATBIT said:

I'm still working with the Oculus team to fix my 2nd unit. It's sadly worse than the first one. I feel like I'm in a crappy situation with this thing. I'm way beyond the the return period and can't sell a broken unit. Though I'd prefer to get this fixed.

Hello Mr Watbit. May I be as rude as asking for an update on this? I had a post in this thread myself, but was suggested to get a replacement unit, but from what Ive read (and you state yourself), the issue might persist even with a "fresh" unit.

How has things gone in your end?

WATBIT
Honored Guest
My 2nd unit had a slight tilt and the calibration tool only made it worse, even worse than my original. It made it very uncomfortable to be in even for short periods of time. 

I RMA's that one and received a 3rd. Unlike my first replacement, this one took a long time to receive. During this waiting period, I had time to think about other options. I received the unit which was brand new so I decided to cut my losses and sell it rather than even mess with it again. I was beyond frustration at this point. I spent so much time troubleshooting and shipping the unit off that it felt like I never owned it to begin with.

deftware
Expert Protege
This problem has been going on since 2016 and there's still no solution? I just got my Rift yesterday. It was fine all day yesterday, fine this morning, and now it's slanted to the left. If they need pictures all you have to do is put your HMD on a level surface - take a picture of it with a level on/next to/infront of and then a screenshot of the game on your computer screen. Done. It's slanted. How are they not experiencing this in their own offices with the production units while the rest of the world is? It's obviously a software issue if the Vive has it when running Oculus games through Revive (hearsay). If it was a hardware issue you'd think the direction of slant would vary from headset to headset, but it's consistently a bit to the left.

jhugard
Honored Guest
My rift is also tilted to the left 1-2 degrees.  For those of us who compulsively straighten pictures on the wall (and no longer need a level), this really is an issue.  Perhaps the Rift devs are desensitized to it at this point, or just aren't as sensitive as some of us are.

Please take the request seriously and provide a fix.  It really is distracting, and does impact my ability to enjoy most experiences.  I'm a software engineer by trade.  Seriously, how hard could it be to add a setup option to adjust the horizon?

Mad066
Honored Guest
I got my Rift last week and noticed the first time I put it on that there was a slight tilt to the left. I thought maybe it was because my sensors were not at the same height. Last weekend I made a permanent space for it with sensors at the same height and I'm still having this issue. Now that the Vive is only $100 more, I'm considering taking back the Rift since it seems that this has been a problem for years and has not bee officially addressed.

FinessSzabi
Honored Guest
I have the same issue with my Rift right since I have unboxed it 1 week ago. Slight tilt to the left. After raising ticket to support it turned out there is no seperate calibration program any more, so no chance to fix it officially at home any more. As I live in Hungary which is not supported by Oculus I would need to return it to the seller, but I have doubts that a replacement will help based on what I read here.
I am really frustrated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine has a slight left tilt by 1 degree and I see this in some games too like BoxVR. It was obvious whilst in Setup as soon as you see the horizon and we see it in Home also. I take it that it still might happen with just 1 Sensor as we used before Touch came out? 

Incidentally my Rift Mic lost access to the drop menu to change quality from 48 to 44.1Hz
Is this the same for all of you too?