cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift 2.0 update - Omg it is beautiful!

Snot_Shot
Expert Protege
I know there are a lot of "Rift 2.0 update" threads but this is my very first thread ever, so no lynching mmkay! :wink: 
Just wanted to say thank you to Oculus team.
Everything works perfect and no issues whatsoever. Well done guys!

Specs:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model    Z97-HD3
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
RAM 16gb

65 REPLIES 65

Kevin_Brook
Protege
It's pretty good, I hated it at first as I don't like change and wanted to live forever in my garden in the sky with my fish pond. I thought this would finally allow me to explore my house that I've been looking longily at for four months. But no, they fucking evicted me!!!

Once I'd had a cry and threw the virtual objects in my new house into the sea below in a petty rage I quite enjoyed the customisation options. The console and cartridges serve no practical purpose whatsoever but it's cool to do so I spent 30 minutes setting up a little area by the fireplace where I could sit on my virtual sofa and load games off my coffee table. Of course I did it so it matched my real sofa and coffee table positions perfectly, and it did make me smile.

I'd like some cups and plates to leave lying around for some realistic clutter, maybe a messy bed and dirty underpants on the floor and I'll feel right at home.

Any Oculus staff who read this, do you think more environments will be added, because I want my old hangout back, god damnit! And to be able to live in that house, and feed my fish. And maybe purchase a cat to eat those fish, or a bigger fish. And I'd like my pool to have a water slide down to the houses in the river. And an escalator to get back up again. And an Ex Machine babe to spend time with. No rush, I'm happy to wait for a Christmas day update for all this. Thanks :smile:

Kevin_Brook
Protege
Another positive, location change gripe aside, it all ran flawlessly for me. No bugs or glitches that I noticed at all in the 90 minutes or so I played around with it.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
So... One computer update went through BUT Nvidia driver updates are not installing, uninstalling, nothing... Other computer I didn't have the public beta on BUT it said I had an Oculus Software Update 20 hours ago but it didn't install... My excitement has went away. Many problems to solve. 

Image result for ill be back

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I hope it's not long before we can invite people over to our homes. You can already do that now in Steam Home VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Okay now I have been able to spend some good amount of time in the new Oculus Home environment. And wow! This thing is a work of art; and it's just the beginning (beta) !

Those scenes in Minority Report are finally a reality:

kojack
MVP
MVP
That minority report interface makes me think of using a PC with an extremely low DPI mouse. So much arm movement.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

That minority report interface makes me think of using a PC with an extremely low DPI mouse. So much arm movement.

All that arm movement simulates how I looked in Oculus Medium trying to make something other than a Donut
:'(

flexy123
Superstar
I remember how blown away I was one year ago when I discovered the old Steam Home.

THIS (Oculus Core 2.0)...is just mind-blowingly good. I didn't plan to check on it yet, but did out of curiosity. Still some performance issues...but it's just...wow. You did an amazing job Oculus. You (the team who did this which I think is the same that did First Contact) and also the Valve guys who did The Lab...some of the best VR experiences out there. And this of course even blows the new Steam Home out of the water, and I mean x9000.

falken76
Expert Consultant

flexy123 said:

I remember how blown away I was one year ago when I discovered the old Steam Home.

THIS (Oculus Core 2.0)...is just mind-blowingly good. I didn't plan to check on it yet, but did out of curiosity. Still some performance issues...but it's just...wow. You did an amazing job Oculus. You (the team who did this which I think is the same that did First Contact) and also the Valve guys who did The Lab...some of the best VR experiences out there. And this of course even blows the new Steam Home out of the water, and I mean x9000.

What does this do that's different?  I honestly don't know.  When I first saw core 2.0 my first thought was "Ok, now this looks exactly like the SteamVR thing"  I don't understand what everyone loves about these.  Is it because you have a virtual place you can decorate and invite people to?  I haven't seen any of the desktop stuff yet because I had to uninstall this software since it broke my monitor setup.  Is the virtual home that you can decorate a separate program from Dash?  Is that what steam doesn't have is whatever dash does?  I would like to know why this is 9000x better than steam when they seem to be so similar.  I honestly don't know and want to know why this one is better.  I tried them both and don't really see myself spending much time at all decorating my space or inviting people to come to my make believe home. And on the surface, that's all I see in both SteamVR and Oculus home now.  Oh and it's a good place to launch my games as I always have.

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

All so beautiful and still no managing of install locations across different drives?

I have no interest in "customzing" a software launcher nor using my desktop in the rift or using desktop apps within VR apps. I hope some important stuff gets addressed as well and performance doesnt suffer too much.