cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout 4 VR is Here. Free locomotion is an option

MowTin
Expert Trustee
It’s still uncertain how Bethesda is going to handle Rift support, if the recent release of the company’s latest title Doom VFR tells us anything, Rift support will likely be available despite no mention by the company—something you can chalk up to bad blood over the $4 billion intellectual property dispute involving Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax and Oculus’ parent company Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQC1xNIc8TY

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
65 REPLIES 65

NurgleChaos
Explorer
Just found this to fix the map usage. http://steamcommunity.com/app/611660/discussions/0/1500126447407383507/

so thanks to Reckless

It says

Oculus Rift Map movement FIX

I change "Map Pan Speed" to make the map more usable for the Oculus rift.

Go to Documents "my games\Fallout4VR"
Open: Fallout4VrCustom.ini
Search for: fTouchpadMapPanSpeed=30
Edit to: fTouchpadMapPanSpeed=100

And yes it works bit sensitive but I can access all the map now.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@KillCard - I watched that YouTube video you put up here. Quick question - How do you increase the size of the player in the blue T-shirt in the video? He's appears way to small to compared to his surrounding in the game..

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Graphically, it isn't as blurry as people are saying. It certainly isn't the prettiest VR game, but then again 99% of games on Oculus Home meet that same description.

Stopped reading there. Terrible analysis. 99% of my Oculus Library entails the prettiest VR games available based on the standard set between OH and SteamVR.

As for expectations... read what people said about both Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR before release: They were supposed to be the first true AAA VR experiences. They've both turned out to be alpha/beta experiences at best. Expectations were set, and these games failed to meet them in epic ways even for their target audience (HTC Vive users).

If you judged Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR as harshly as you try to judge the Rift and OH, then you'd be forced to admit that both of those games are utter crap. Instead you choose to lower your standards when discussing those games; exhibiting a rather impressive dedication to double-standards.

KillCard said:

How are you guys saying this is playable? .. you realise this is an RPG right? .. the moment you need to level up or use your inventory you're straight fucked.

In-game controls are fine .. you can point/shoot .. hands are correct orientation etc and you can walk about the wilderness just fine. But the moment you need to use a menu (remember this is Fallout) .. it is literally impossible to navigate correctly. You have to press up on both sticks to get to the top .. then hold up on one stick hold down on another .. then let go of one and half push the other .. and then you MIGHT have a chance of landing on the option you wish to use. 

Much better analysis. It seems Doom VFR was a better VR title at launch, which isn't saying much.

I'm sure a few patches later will help Fallout 4 VR. But in the end, both Doom and Fallout for VR failed to be the "AAA VR" saviors that so many people predicted and hoped for.

I have to totally agree with Zenbane on this one, I too think both games have been a disaster, had to refund Doom VFR straight away because it was completely 100% unplayable on the Rift, mainly because the hands were bent inwards and zero touch controls support. But also loads of issues with tracking, sound, crashes etc.

Some people are saying "oh wow we can have free loco now with community mod" but so what? How does that make any difference at all if the hands are bent inwards and you can't aim? and no touch support? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm avoiding both games until a patch comes out that fixes all these issues. I'd strongly advise everyone to do the same.

These are the worst attempts at VR I've ever witnessed, complete waste of time. It's like they didn't even try.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

btw I read this this morning, legally questionable i guess but it hints
that as suspected, bethesda are hugely double dipping on what is just a
simple mod the likes of which many fans have done better and for free.
Also meant to run the dlc in vr too.

They just sold a mod for $60 bucks. 88MB file size. :: Fallout 4 VR General Discussions

if true, surely this should have been a paid DLC to the core game.

also according to folk on steam, if you drag and drop your non VR game DLC into fallout4 VR it also works just fine.

Warms my heart to see this stuff. I mean... it's unfortunate the way Doom and Fallout turned out in VR. However, I remember reading all those posts between here and Facebook about how these "AAA VR Games" were going to show Facebook/Oculus how a real VR title is released. Even some of our very own (favorite) forum trawlers were like, "these will be the games to beat."

I wonder if going forward in to 2018, folks will finally learn to stop counting their chickens before they hatch? Likely not.

Entertaining nonetheless. I have about 3 VR games to beat, hopefully, before Oculus' Marvel game hits our virtual shelves.

I wouldn't touch Doom or Fallout VR with snowdog's HMD, ShadowMasks' hand-controllers, and vannagirl doing the clicking. Na' mean?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yup, this is definitely not the "killer app" ultimate VR game. The one-man Doom 3 BFG VR mod feels more polished than the current version of Fallout 4 VR. They could have done so much more to make this feel like a real VR game rather than a quick tacked-on VR mode.

That said, I still love the world of Fallout 4, and exploring it in VR is still an exciting prospect, so I'll continue to muck about with the game and hope that we eventually get more usable controls (whether patched in officially or provided by an enterprising modder).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Atmos73 said:

Oh dear Zenbane. Fallout4 VR sold over 38,000 copies at launch making it the best launch title ever for VR.

The resolution was fixed within 12 hours.

Howcome no touch support at launch?

And should we be scared for Skyrim? 2 out of 3 have failed and tbh I was more looking forward to Skyrim then those 2 so now I am worried!

When is Skyrim coming out?

And when do you think they will release full touch support for all three games?

Why do you think they have done this? Wouldn't that 38,000 copies sold me more like 60,000 copies sold if they had simply spent a couple of extra days and a bit more effort to offer touch support at launch? Why would you offer one but not the other, all games in VR should be designed for Rift/Vive, they're the only two HMD's worth talking about right now.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
I must admit that despite the bugs, I'm enjoying Fallout in VR lol. It definitely takes me 10 minutes longer than it should for me to switch weapons...but that won't stop me 0.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Fallout4 VR sold over 38,000 copies at launch making it the best launch title ever for VR.

You are ignoring a large collection of ridicule and bad reviews by Vive owners in order to pretend that Fallout 4 VR is "the best launch title." It may be the best launch title for Vive owners, but it's not the best title ever for VR. Not by a longshot.

Atmos73 said:
Zenbane loves it. 

I do love seeing more of your predictions fall flat. You thought that Doom and Fallout VR would be "the games to beat" and instead they become the flops of the VR gaming indstury lol

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Atmos73 said:

2018 is the Oculus apocalypse.

LOL, now I know your bating Zenbane for a long drawn out argument! haha

I don't think Oculus/Facebook will fail mate, they're doing good. I want both HMD's to do well anyways! 🙂 We need two to compete, like Nvidia vs AMD, and Microsoft vs Apple!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Calmfixup said:

I must admit that despite the bugs, I'm enjoying Fallout in VR lol. It definitely takes me 10 minutes longer than it should for me to switch weapons...but that won't stop me 0.0

Do yourself a favour and switch your Pipboy to either In Front or Projection. It's cool to see your Pipboy on your invisible wrist for a few minutes, but it's not very usable, and it doesn't freeze time when you use it on your wrist, but it does for the other two modes. I don't bother trying to use the abysmal Favorites menu (now that I think of it, I don't ever use it in regular Fallout 4 either). Just pull up your Pipboy and switch weapons there instead. With these janky controls, you'll get yourself killed trying to use any menus in real-time.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo