cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout 4 VR is Here. Free locomotion is an option

MowTin
Expert Trustee
It’s still uncertain how Bethesda is going to handle Rift support, if the recent release of the company’s latest title Doom VFR tells us anything, Rift support will likely be available despite no mention by the company—something you can chalk up to bad blood over the $4 billion intellectual property dispute involving Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax and Oculus’ parent company Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQC1xNIc8TY

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
65 REPLIES 65

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Given the Vive is an inferior but more expensive VR setup (worse controllers and screens, costs $600 instead of $400), I wouldn't tout the Vive too much. It has a lot of leftover users from the days when the Rift lacked touch controllers but that's about it from what I can see. The real battle now is between the dirt cheap WMR headsets, the mid-priced Rift and the more premium but more expensive and still somewhat buggy Samsung Odyssey. Also, that $200 price is a special at the microsoft store, everyone else is still asking $400 for them. I don't expect that price to last long, though $300 seems likely given they don't stand up well against the Rift or Odyssey.

Back on topic, FO4 VR sold a ton of copies, hence it was a success as far as Zenimax is concerned. For us users, yeah, it really isn't the greatest. You have to really love FO4 to deal with all the flaws of FO4 VR and though us Rift users have a harder time with it, Vive users don't seem overly enthusiastic either. The game is in rough shape but is fixable.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
Buts face it Oculus are going to have to sink millions into a single title to get anywhere near FO4 in terms of open worldness. They just don’t have games at hand to port over.

Fallout 4 VR is a failed Port and essentially a bad VR DLC. It's nothing to compete with.

Atmos73 said:
Buts face it Oculus are going to have to sink millions into a single title to get anywhere near FO4 in terms of open worldness. They just don’t have games at hand to port over.

It would be foolish for anyone to look at the failure of Fallout 4 VR and then try to invest "millions" to compete with it. Facebook didn't force HTC in to submission and a buyout by Google by being easily fooled with failed parlor tricks.

Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR were desperate attempts to compete with the Oculus Exclusives and Facebook's overall dominance in VR with both hardware and software. Unfortunately, just like Room-Scale and Wand controllers failed to make a difference due to their highly premature nature, these titles also failed to meet the "AAA VR title" standard that so many people blindly advocated.

Atmos73 said:
So Zenbane what Oculus title beats FO4 for depth, longevity?

We don't need an Oculus exclusive for that type of example. Pinball FX VR has a longer shelf life than Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR combined lol

Atmos73 said:
I’m sorry Zenband but Steam and Vive are top of the VR tree now and we haven’t even got to Knuckles

Premature victories are what lead to HTC's buyout; and all your misplaced praises of these titles won't change the fact that the rest of the world sees them as major let-downs and failed VR launches. Steam and Vive aren't on any tree, they are stuck in a Swamp. And as you said... still no Knuckles so Vive users are forced to play terrible games with trackpads. It doesn't get any worse for those who failed to invest in a proper quality VR kit.

Atmos73 said:
The house of cards Facebook built is crashing down around you but you just refuse to see it and more money and more exclusive won’t save it.

HTC sold to Google and left to China while Facebook is releasing major updates to Oculus Home, 2 more VR kits are coming in 2018, and more software titles are being released.

You don't seem to understand what "crashing down" means.

Atmos73 said:
The VR war is all but over Valve have capsulated the market. Oculus can but watch as every front is lost. 

2018 is the Oculus apocalypse.

Some impressive delusions going on with that strange statement. If any of that were true then you wouldn't need to trawl so hard. None of what you say has ever been true, which is why instead of being able to point at facts... you simply type hyperbole ad nauseum. Facts speak for themselves, and you ignore them at every turn in order to make these highly fictitious remarks.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

2018 is the Oculus apocalypse.

LOL, now I know your bating Zenbane for a long drawn out argument! haha

hah - indeed. Although I am happy to respectfully and formally rise to the callout.

Dear Mr. @Atmos73: If you truly believe that 2018 is the Oculus apocalypse, as you just claimed publicly, then I formally challenge you to a toxx!
:#

toxx clause
A rule originating on the Something Awful message boards that calls for the banning of a member who does not follow his own proclamation. These proclamations are typically in the form of "If X happens, I will do Y." The person who posts the claim is asked to follow through with his promised act or be banned for lying.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toxx%20clause

The wager:

One of us departs from this forum for the entire year of 2019.

Here is how it works:
  • If by December 31st 2018 Oculus has not gone away completely (apocalypse) then you must voluntarily leave the forum from January 1st 2019 through December 31 2019.
  • If, however, Oculus does go away completely in 2018, then I will voluntarily depart from the forum for the exact same time frame (1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019).
  • If either of us fail to do so, then we both give permission to the Forum Moderators to Perma-Ban us for lying.

Do you accept the Toxx? Or are you too afraid to stand by your claims?
>:)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Apocalypse does not mean something disappears entirely.

Define the terms of the "Oculus Apocalypse" in the way that you've decided to best understand it.

Then we can toxx
B)

danknugz
Superstar
waiting for sale, i still never plated arizona sunshine or obduction and i bought those a year ago

on fallout 4 for xbox one i played through it twice (forget the reason why, maybe cause i missed some achivements), bought all the dlc and had to play nuka world twice cause of a god damn game save ending bug that prevented finishing the story, also was up to something like level 530 so pretty fallout4’d out
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

KenSniper
Adventurer
If you can drag and drop the DLC from the main FO4 into FO4VR, would it be funny if you can just drap and drop the FO4VR into the main FO4 and it works there too

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

@SadGamerDad did you make that video before or after Valve fixed the resolution on SteamVR Beta?

Release day on the 11th

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Okay, major breakthrough for control mapping. The guy who made OpenVR InputEmulator released an update with two fixes specifically for using Touch with Fallout4VR; he's eliminated the deadzone for clicking the thumbstick, and he's added a function to ignore thumbstick movement if there is no capacitive contact on the stick, so you can flick it to move down a menu list.

The flicking is still finicky, but the removal of the deadzone is a huge improvement. This change allowed me to map the grip buttons to emulate the trackpad press, which means that I can now pick up physics-enabled items by grabbing with the grip button like a proper VR game!! This also allows you to 'walk' down a menu list by moving the stick, then holding the grip to keep your position when you release the stick (instead of snapping back up to the top). It also makes the Favorites menu much more usable--grab the grip and it appears, and move the stick without having to press it in to equip an item.

I moved the default grip functions (reload/grenade and crouch/Pipboy light) to the unused X/A buttons, which to my mind works just as well.

The Reddit thread discussing it is here. You can download the version of InputEmulator with the Oculus fix here (download the one called OpenVR-InputEmulator_v1.1_oculusfix1.exe).

When you run the EXE, it will integrate the input emulator into SteamVR. It's pretty easy to use, you just create a profile and select the controllers, go to the analog remapping page of the joystick
axis (Axis0) and enable "Ignore Snap To Neutral Position" and/or "Button Press
Deadzone Fix". If you also want to do my grip button remapping, remap Grip to Axis0, and remap Button_A to Grip for each controller.

Edit: There's a bit of a bug in this version where the analog remapping doesn't save to the profile, so currently I'm having to re-check them each time before launching the game. I'm sure that'll get fixed soon.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
This is awesome!  Please ignore my question to you on the other thread.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
Ok Oculus going from 49% market share and dropping below 25% on Steam Survey by the end of 2018 for me would mean an Apocalypse. Ultimately it would mean Oculus had totally lost the PC market where we all started with our DKs and switched focus to Mobile.

What say you?

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but what you have done is switch from "Oculus Apocalypse" to "Oculus PCVR Apocalypse." Plus, you are using Steam itself instead of the entire VR Market.

What if Oculus drops below 25% on Steam VR but gains 90% of the VR Market Globally including Rift sales? That would mean that they dominate PCVR but Steam itself was abandoned (Steam Apocalypse).

So it would have to be two things:
  1. Oculus drops below 25% on Steam
  2. Oculus drops below 25% on the Global VR Market

Here's the Global VR Market stats:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/499714/global-virtual-reality-gaming-sales-revenue/

If you're not comfortable with 25% on the Global VR Market wager, we can go up a little bit.
😉