Fallout 4 VR Guide: Touch Emulator Reaches Final Version With Save Profile! - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Fallout 4 VR Guide: Touch Emulator Reaches Final Version With Save Profile!

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,481 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    You download the executable that has “oculus fix” in the name and run it. It will integrate itself into SteamVR, so that when you pull up the SteamVR dash (left Touch menu button when you’re in SteamVR), you’ll see a button marked Input Emulator near the bottom of the menu. Click that to edit your inputs. 

So so in the main screen, you’ll see a dropdown menu to select your device. Choose Left Controller, then click Input Remapping. Scroll down to the Analog section, click Joystick (Axis 0), and in that menu, check the box to enable Deadzone Fix, and for Touchpad Emulation, choose Positional. Click Save, and exit back out to the main menu. Repeat for the right controller. This will make your joysticks act properly in the menus, and will make it easier to click the stick by eliminating the center deadzone. In the current version of Input Emulator, these setting won’t save to a profile, so you’ll have to apply them each time you launch SteamVR. Once the fix is finalized, we should be able to save it into a profile.  The analog joystick fixes can now be saved to your remapping profile.

If you also want to remap some buttons, you can do that too. I like to map the grip buttons to emulate the touchpad/thumbstick click, so I can pick up items with the grip buttons like you do in most Oculus games. To do that, go to the Input Remapping (Digital) section for each controller, and click Grip, choose OpenVR as the mapping type, and map it to Axis 0. You’ll also want to relocate the old grip functions to another button—the A/X buttons are unused in Fallout 4 VR, so for each controller, go to Button_A, choose OpenVR, and remap it to Grip. The regular input remapping can be saved to a profile, which you apply each time you start SteamVR before launching the game. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • redmantabredmantab Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wow thank you.  I have it working.  Very helpful! 

1 - Do we have to re apply this entire controller thing every time we launch fallout 4 vr since it doesn't save profiles?

2 - what is the current best solution for the blurry issues many are having.  i would think super sampling with the oculus debug tool would work best?  I have a 1080ti....hmmm any thoughts on that? 

It’ll save a remapping profile, but you’ll have to re-apply the analog joystick fixes for now. Response has been very positive to the test version, so hopefully the guy doing it will finalize it and get the profile saving sorted soon. 

For the blurriness, you can certainly play with your SS, either through the debug tool, or with the SS settings in SteamVR. There are also a few Reddit threads with some variable tweaks you can try to fine tune the TAA sampling that the game uses. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,089 Valuable Player
    Can someone please come up with an easy fix. Even the lady in the YouTube video seemed to be having problems understanding the controller and she was on a Vive lol..
  • comedykevcomedykev Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 Many thanks for taking the time to help, most appreciated, 
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Does anyone know how to add weapons to the favourites quick selection 'wheel' menu? 

The only items on my favorites quick select are the 10mm pistol, and the stimpak, and I think those are defaults.  
    edited December 2017
    Does anyone know how to add weapons to the favourites quick selection 'wheel' menu? 

The only items on my favorites quick select are the 10mm pistol, and the stimpak, and I think those are defaults.  
    You do it in the Pipboy. Go to your weapons tab and highlight the weapon you want to add. Click the thumbstick for “Options”. In that pop-up menu, one of your choices is FAV. Click that, then it will show you the wheel. Swing your thumbstick to a vacant slot, and pull the trigger to set it. You can also add chems or aid items. 

You can can also re-add items to move them to different slots on the Fav menu. I moved Stimpaks to the top of the wheel, because when it was at its default side spot, I accidentally used a few when snap-turning. 
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    nalex66 said:

You do it in the Pipboy. Go to your weapons tab and highlight the weapon you want to add. Click the thumbstick for “Options”. In that pop-up menu, one of your choices is FAV. Click that, then it will show you the wheel. Swing your thumbstick to a vacant slot, and pull the trigger to set it. You can also add chems or aid items. 

You can can also re-add items to move them to different slots on the Fav menu. I moved Stimpaks to the top of the wheel, because when it was at its default side spot, I accidentally used a few when snap-turning. 
    Thanks!  I think clicking the thumbstick might be the only action I didn't try.  Tried all the triggers, face buttons, but just couldn't find the favourite option...
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited December 2017
    ignore

Who is John Galt?
    Art3mis
    edited December 2017
    redmantab said:
    Fellas,  This new Open Vr Emulator fix linked two posts above - I went to the link and it just isn't very understandable.  Would someone who understands "how to do this" kindly explain with a few sentences here?  Do I just download and install and it works?  It seems like I have to customize a few things and I have no clue what this Open Vr is and what to customize.  Some kind soul sharing a bit on how to do this would greatly improve my holiday cheer ;)

I know, it threw me at first, this is what you do:

• 1: To enable the fix, boot Fallout VR then tap the left hand Touch menu (3 lines) button and SteamVR pops up and you will see the 'OpenVR Input Emulator', listed, tap on that with Touch, 

• 2: select a Touch controller from the drop-down menu (ignore the HMD option) select the right hand controller, now tap the Input Remapping page, scroll down and select the analog joystick axis which is at the bottom, and select a touchpad emulation mode which in our case is OPENVR and enable the deadzone fix.

• 3 To configure the button for toggling the mode, open the dashboard overlay, select a controller, go to Input Remapping page, select any digital button you want, select either normal, long or double press, and select "Toggle Touchpad Emulation" as binding type.

4: To set the grip axis to joystick 0 (which makes life a LOT easier!) select the right controller then                'input mapping' and now at the                  very top select 'Open VR' as your preferred mode then                look down, see 'Grip'? tap over where it                  says 'input mapping' again and scroll all the                  way down all the buttin options to 'Joystick Axis 0'

I hope this helps as I am doing it from memory, if you still have problems let me know and I will make notes from within the emulator and we'll try again. 

Who is John Galt?
    I found that the new positional trackpad emulation worked so well that there was no need to toggle it off. I initially tried mapping a button to toggle it, but that kind of messed up the other function of the button.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    the oculus input remapping and fixes are a godsend and totally makes this game much more enjoyable, now im only waiting and hoping that one day we can remap the joystick movement to a button, to remove clicking when snap turning, then it'll be perfect
    Art3mis
    KenSniper said:
    the oculus input remapping and fixes are a godsend and totally makes this game much more enjoyable, now im only waiting and hoping that one day we can remap the joystick movement to a button, to remove clicking when snap turning, then it'll be perfect
    They are, once you figure out which command does what it turns a barely functioning game into something amazing and all we need now is the ability to save!!!
    Who is John Galt?
    DNACowboy said:
    KenSniper said:
    They are, once you figure out which command does what it turns a barely functioning game into something amazing and all we need now is the ability to save!!!
    Yup. If we could save the fixes into a profile, and have that profile autorun when FO4VR launches, we'd be all set.
    I've heard this game causes you to feel sick even with teleportation used as movement. When will devs learn that the game Onward is the way to go if you don't want people feeling sick in VR. But, teleporting and still feeling sick is that a first?
    I believe that the direct movement mode in FO4VR is identical to Onward (forward direction determined by controller aim, and snap-turning). I've been finding the movement perfectly comfortable so far. There are additional comfort options, like slowing the default movement speed and adding a vignette effect to limit the peripheral view while moving, but I haven't seen the need to use them.

I haven't tried teleporting, but if someone is complaining of feeling sick from that, then maybe a large open-world roaming/exploring VR game isn't for them.
    @nalex66 - What are your movement setting in-game? I'm not talking about that config thing you down load. I'd just like to know your settings.
    I use direct movement (smooth locomotion), no vignette, and smooth turning (which is still snap turning, but you see the turn happen over a few frames instead of it being instant). I use the default 45 degree turn increment, and the default movement speed.

I have three sensors, so I do some turning physically, and use the snap turning for larger rotations, or to correct myself back to facing my front sensors. 
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    I've heard this game causes you to feel sick even with teleportation used as movement. When will devs learn that the game Onward is the way to go if you don't want people feeling sick in VR. But, teleporting and still feeling sick is that a first?
    I usually feel fine with any type of locomotion but I too felt a bit dizzy after a long run playing FO4VR, I then remembered somewhere mentioned before that having uneven or low fps or performance in the hmd can also cause dizziness, so i toned down the settings even more and voila, I feel fine no matter how long i play

either that or it was all just a placebo and nothing has really changed in terms of performance
  • GregTampaGregTampa Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    i thought this game wasnt made for the rift.

Art3mis
    GregTampa said:
    i thought this game wasnt made for the rift.

it's not officially supported, but like anything on steamvr, it can run but usually with stuff like janky controls etc, for us rift users its easily fixed with an input emulator 
    Art3mis
    edited December 2017
    For anyone who still doesn't know how to get the OpenVR emulation working on Fallout 4 VR check out this page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7k714t/input_emulator_optimal_settings_for_fallout_4_vr/

Also, for anyone interested in actual in-game human locomotion for Fallout 4 VR:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/611660/discussions/0/1618346571418594626/  

Who is John Galt?
    I'm more interested in knowing if the dev team behind this is going to do anything about touch controller support. If not then they should put a message up in Steam that it isn't compatible with Oculus Touch. In-fact I might to question that with Steam instead of Rift owners wasting their time with this being incompatible.
    Art3mis
    edited December 2017
    Great news, the final version of the Fallout 4 VR emulator is out and guess what? Yup it saves your profile!
    Get it here: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator/releases/download/v1.2/OpenVR-InputEmulator_v1.2.exe

Install and mapping guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7k714t/input_emulator_optimal_settings_for_fallout_4_vr/

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

• Warning: Does NOT work with the current SteamVR Beta.

This is the final version of the Oculus Rift controller fixes for Fallout 4 VR. It allows to emulate trackpad behaviour with the Rift's joysticks. Therefore, on the input remapping pages of each analog axis a touchpad emulation mode can be configured.

Currently there are two modes available:

• Position Based: This modes assumes that the joystick can only move further away from the center position. All newer positions smaller can the last known position are ignored. The saved highest position is reset when the center position has been reached. The idea is to ignore input events caused by the joystick snapping back to center position. As soon as the center position is reached it is immediately send to the application in a position update. This helps with movement controls as otherwise any movement in an application is not reset when the joystick is let go by the user, and FO4 menus ignore this position update. However, the pipboy map does not ignore this position update.

• Position Based (Deferred Zero Update): This modes works exactly the same as the mode above with one small difference. The position update when the center position is reached is not immediately send but only when the joystick starts moving again. This helps with the pipboy-map but messes up movement controls. To still be able to move you can configure a toggle button to turn on/off touchpad emulation mode (see below).

To enable/disable the touchpad emulation mode at will you can configure a toggle binding on any digital button. Therefore, select a digital button, select either normal, double or long press, and then select "Toggle Touchpad Emulation" as binding type. Now with audio cue.

FO4 also tends to ignore joystick clicks when the joystick is exactly at center position. To help with this you can also activate the deadzone fix for button presses on the analog input remapping page).

Touchpad emulation mode settings can now be saved into profiles.

Changelog

• Added Oculus Rift controller fixes for Fallout 4 VR.
      • Added audio cue for touchpad emulation toggle and redirect mode toggle bindings.
      • Other bugfixes and improvements.

Requirements

Requires the newest non-beta version. It does NOT work with the current SteamVR Beta.

Usage

Installer

Download the installer and then execute it. Don't forget to exit SteamVR before installing/de-installing. After that you can access the configuration overlay in the SteamVR dashboard

Who is John Galt?
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,435
    Project 2501
    nalex66 said:
    You download the executable that has “oculus fix” in the name and run it. It will integrate itself into SteamVR, so that when you pull up the SteamVR dash (left Touch menu button when you’re in SteamVR), you’ll see a button marked Input Emulator near the bottom of the menu. Click that to edit your inputs. 

So so in the main screen, you’ll see a dropdown menu to select your device. Choose Left Controller, then click Input Remapping. Scroll down to the Analog section, click Joystick (Axis 0), and in that menu, check the box to enable Deadzone Fix, and for Touchpad Emulation, choose Positional. Click Save, and exit back out to the main menu. Repeat for the right controller. This will make your joysticks act properly in the menus, and will make it easier to click the stick by eliminating the center deadzone. In the current version of Input Emulator, these setting won’t save to a profile, so you’ll have to apply them each time you launch SteamVR. Once the fix is finalized, we should be able to save it into a profile. 

If you also want to remap some buttons, you can do that too. I like to map the grip buttons to emulate the touchpad/thumbstick click, so I can pick up items with the grip buttons like you do in most Oculus games. To do that, go to the Input Remapping (Digital) section for each controller, and click Grip, choose OpenVR as the mapping type, and map it to Axis 0. You’ll also want to relocate the old grip functions to another button—the A/X buttons are unused in Fallout 4 VR, so for each controller, go to Button_A, choose OpenVR, and remap it to Grip. The regular input remapping can be saved to a profile, which you apply each time you start SteamVR before launching the game. 
    This is great but is there any way to map smooth turning. 

I'd like to be able to turn without holding the grip button. Ideally, I'd like to be able to turn smoothly and play seated like I do in From Other Suns. 
    MowTin said:
    nalex66 said:

So so in the main screen, you’ll see a dropdown menu to select your device. Choose Left Controller, then click Input Remapping. Scroll down to the Analog section, click Joystick (Axis 0), and in that menu, check the box to enable Deadzone Fix, and for Touchpad Emulation, choose Positional. Click Save, and exit back out to the main menu. Repeat for the right controller. This will make your joysticks act properly in the menus, and will make it easier to click the stick by eliminating the center deadzone. In the current version of Input Emulator, these setting won’t save to a profile, so you’ll have to apply them each time you launch SteamVR. Once the fix is finalized, we should be able to save it into a profile. 

This is great but is there any way to map smooth turning. 

I'd like to be able to turn without holding the grip button. Ideally, I'd like to be able to turn smoothly and play seated like I do in From Other Suns. 
    The turning without clicking issue is difficult to fix with input mapping, because it would screw up your ability to use the sticks in other contexts like menus, where you need to move the stick without clicking it.

Changing how turning works really needs to be done within the game code—it might be possible if we had something like F4SE for the VR version of the game, but the Script Extender team have said that they don’t intend to develop a FO4VR edition. 
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,999 Valuable Player
    Has anyone had turning issues with the trigger and stick?

I followed this

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7ltym1/fully_functional_touch_profile_for_fallout_4_vr/

But whatever i do the turn does not work properly. I can hold trigger and push left or right and maybe 1 in 10 times it will turn, i think it is also when i click in. I have not managed to get out of the start house so far :'(

If anyone know anything i can try or has had this issue i would very much appreicate any help
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    That’s a pretty convoluted remapping—I’m not crazy about moving extra functions to the triggers. I keep it simpler and stick to mostly standard mapping with a few changes:
    • Use InputEmulator to apply the Deadzone Fix and Postion-based Touchpad Emulation (no toggle)
    • Remap the grip buttons to emulate touchpad clicks
    • Remap the A/X buttons to emulate the grip buttons
    This setup allows you to use the grip button for most interactions (picking things up) and for snap-turning, Fav menu, and sprinting. You’ll still need to click the stick for the quick-loot menu and to open the Pip-boy. The A and X buttons will be your reload/grenade and crouch/Pip-boy light buttons, and everything else matches the on-screen button prompts. This has been working well for me. I tried a few double-press or long-press mappings, and I found that they didn’t work reliably, so I stopped using them. 

• iextreme16iextreme16 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Hello there, now the profile can be saved, someone can share us there own saved profile, please.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,435
    Project 2501
    vannagirl said:
    Has anyone had turning issues with the trigger and stick?

I followed this

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7ltym1/fully_functional_touch_profile_for_fallout_4_vr/

But whatever i do the turn does not work properly. I can hold trigger and push left or right and maybe 1 in 10 times it will turn, i think it is also when i click in. I have not managed to get out of the start house so far :'(

If anyone know anything i can try or has had this issue i would very much appreicate any help
    I used that guide too but I followed @nalex66 and kept it simple. I didn't use autohotkey or any of those scripts. I just used the input emulator like @nalex66 suggested and I saved the profile like the reddit article suggests. 

Be sure your mappings are really set. Switch to the right controller and verify that your mapping's are still there. One frustration I have is the way the profiles save. I have no idea how to save a profile and it's hard to tell when it's loaded.