cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

XxGingerSharkxX
Explorer
I have cybereality, twice. But am now 100% sure that it is a hardware issue. I took the facecam of my iPhone to see the infrared LEDs. The ones on the front and sides of the headset are working just fine. But the ones on the head straps are turning off. When the slide rails on the head set are pulled all the way back, everything is working just fine. But once they move forward even the slightest, all power to the headphones and the back infrared LEDs cuts off. I have even gone as far as taking a voltmeter to check the power, and no Power at all once it moves forward. What is keeping me from fixing it myself is that I thing I'm still under warranty. But I guess I can't even send it in for a replacement because I lost the receipt from a year and a half ago.

KirilZdravkov
Explorer
Just to add to this old threat,,, on my rift the right headphone also cutting in and out, most of the time out... goodluck to us all

Meat_Man
Expert Protege
Mine is doing the same thing right out of the box.  :I

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer
Contact support immediately if you ever have this issue. See 4 posts up.
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

Claytonious
Explorer
Brand new Rift and it came out of the box with no audio in the right headphone. This thread is over a year old.

billyisms
Honored Guest
Has anyone posted the method of wrapping a copper wire around the back of the headset and connecting it to the left and right contact of the connector for the headphones? There are pictures:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6lvtun/psa_fixing_the_loss_of_right_audio_issue/

cybereality
Grand Champion
Please note, if you attempt any sort of repair work yourself, this will void the warranty. Best to speak with us first to see if you are covered under warranty and eligible for a replacement. Thanks. 
https://support.oculus.com
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DarkTenka
Trustee

Please note, if you attempt any sort of repair work yourself, this will void the warranty. Best to speak with us first to see if you are covered under warranty and eligible for a replacement. Thanks. 

Actually if you check the technique that was posted in the thread, no actual opening or modifying of the Rift device itself needs to be done. All they seem to be doing is wrapping a copper wire around the connectors of the speaker and stringing it along the back of the rift to the other speaker and wrapping around that connector then connecting the speaker up and screwing it in normally to hold it in place. They then hold the wire in place externally with a bit of electrical tape. I cant be 100% certain .. since I haven't had to try it myself, but from what they are describing I don't think it will void warranty .. maybe?

Though if you are still under warranty you should definitely 100% seek advice from support first.. obviously.

BBZ149
Protege

KillCard said:

Actually if you check the technique that was posted in the thread, no actual opening or modifying of the Rift device itself needs to be done. All they seem to be doing is wrapping a copper wire around the connectors of the speaker and stringing it along the back of the rift to the other speaker and wrapping around that connector then connecting the speaker up and screwing it in normally to hold it in place. They then hold the wire in place externally with a bit of electrical tape. I cant be 100% certain .. since I haven't had to try it myself, but from what they are describing I don't think it will void warranty .. maybe?

Though if you are still under warranty you should definitely 100% seek advice from support first.. obviously.

If you do that then the Audio would be in Mono and not Stereo!! 

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

billyisms said:

Has anyone posted the method of wrapping a copper wire around the back of the headset and connecting it to the left and right contact of the connector for the headphones? 

That fix would only work if the ribbon cable broke in a certain manner as it looks like they are just extending the ground line across from left to right externally. It would likely be a very temporary fix as once the ribbon cable starts to tear it will likely progressively fail completely after repeated flexing on the cable by putting on and taking off the headset.

I know we will never get an official response from Oculus on what it causing the problem or how to avoid it. I'm fine if they want to be silent on the problem for fear of legal issues however if they want to take that stance they really should give users outside of warranty an option for repair or paid replacement as opposed to the support droid response of "Buy a new headset + all accessories". I really hope this is not a design flaw that will end up affecting more and more Rifts as time goes on. 
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port