cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a list of incompatible PC components on the forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve searched but can’t turn up anything except for case by case situations. I want to be sure I’m getting the best and most compatible bang for my buck.

My spending limit is $1,800 total. I know I want a GTX 1080 Ti, i7700 processor, 16 gigs of ram but not sure about the best mobo, usb hub brand and model that are the most compatible with oculus rift. I’ve had issues in the past with certain components and want to avoid going through that again. Any help is greatly appreciated! 
23 REPLIES 23

You may have a tricky task there @USBERD, very often incompatibilities come from combinations of hardware, or hardware and particular drivers... drivers & versions of Windows... or any of the above.

But for what it's worth, I've updated my hardware info (and Windows version) in my signature and can confirm I've never had a problem right from day one of receiving the Rift (April 2016)... none whatsoever. Also had an Asus X99 Deluxe mobo before the ASRock, also with no problems. If you get enough similar info, you should get a good idea of what to get.

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, I don't believe there is a list available. Probably the most important thing to consider would be the motherboard (in terms of compatibility), assuming you are already getting a new CPU and GPU that are supported. Originally there were some issues with ASMedia USB controllers (found on Asus, MSI boards and others), but a driver update has mostly resolved this. The best bet would be to search the motherboard model number on Google, i.e. "Asus X99 Deluxe Oculus" and see if other people are using the board successfully.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the input Cyber and Daftndirect! I’m not sure where I can see your signature Daft? I click on your name but I don’t see the specs. 

UBSERD said:

Thanks for the input Cyber and Daftndirect! I’m not sure where I can see your signature Daft? I click on your name but I don’t see the specs. A

It's the greyed text at the bottom of my posts, hopefully it's displayed ok in your browser.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually visit the forums on my phone and never realized that there were signatures at the bottom. I just viewed it on the PC and lo and behold there they are. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

I’m thinking of mimicking your pc and the only differences that I would do would be windows pro would probably be home version 1709 and the Titan X would be replaced with a GTX 1080 TI. That should work right? Also does the bios version matter at all?

The thing is I’m taking these specs to a shop to have them build it because I am not computer savvy enough to build my own PC or the patience to learn how. 

Thank you again for your helpful input .

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Daftndirect Also would this machines spec benefit at all if I upgraded the intel 5820K with the intel 7700, or could that cause compatibility issues with the specs you provided? Thanks!

A few people seem to have reported stutters with the 1080ti and Core 2.0 which I don't understand as it's more powerful than my older Titan, but I don't know what other hardware they have as they seldom post all their specs.

Also there are many other possibly contributors to lower performance such as HDD issues, other tasks running in the background... USB power management settings etc.

Anyway, I've not had to work hard at getting settings right and I always keep my BIOS up to date and graphics drivers so have used many different versions without issue. The only thing I'm strict on is disabling Windows automatic driver update as it sometimes reverts to earlier drivers without your knowledge or it simply means you lose control of what drivers are installed.

But yeah, like Cyber says, google component use with the Rift, or check other people's signatures in the forum, many include their specs.

UBSERD said:

@Daftndirect Also would this machines spec benefit at all if I upgraded the intel 5820K with the intel 7700, or could that cause compatibility issues with the specs you provided? Thanks!

The 7700k is faster than my 5820k for sure. The only issue I'd have is the number of PCI-E lanes it has which affects the performance or number of add-ons. A single graphics card for instance wants 16 of those lanes, full speed SLI will want double, M.2 drive etc. all start eating into those lanes. The 5820 has 28 lanes, the 7700 has 16 (I think???). I'm looking for a 40 lane CPU as my possible future upgrade.

But that doesn't mean that a 7700 with a single 1080ti and SATA drive wouldn't perform flawlessly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks for the help.  I was trying to tell the guy at the PC shop how hard it is to make oculus work right and he couldn’t believe it. He was saying oh I’ll just get VR compatible pc components and I said no it goes a little deeper than that. I told him that I would try to get some input from others on the forums to see if maybe I can figure something out but it seems kind of like a crapshoot. The only PCs and laptops that are guaranteed it seems are the ones they sell at Best Buy through Oculus but they are way under powered, overpriced and will be obsolete way before what I’m trying to build. This thing should be plug and play without all the issues. It’s sad. I guess I’ll have to do research then but I’m afraid I’ll screw up somewhere in selecting the components but what else can I do?