cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magic Leap Lightwear unveiled

kojack
MVP
MVP
https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-finally-unveils-first-ar-product-magic-leap-one-shipping-starts-...

The Lightwear from Magic Leap has been shown. Well, shown as renders composited on photos of a person, but I guess it's better than we've had so far. 🙂
It uses a belt mounted computer and has a 6dof controller.

pc1ps3demwwq.jpg

15ucdzg31ryb.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
45 REPLIES 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Meh! AR is for wimps. VR is what real men (and women!) use. B)

Might be fine for various forms of training in the not-too-distant future but it's going to be useless for gaming compared to VR.

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Might be fine for various forms of training in the not-too-distant future but it's going to be useless for gaming compared to VR.

I'm waiting for AR that's in a form factor no bigger than my oakley flak 2 xl's.

I'm still sad CastAR went down, it was an interesting idea.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
overlay a variable sized image that consists of a 2d image held inside a 3d fisheye frame, like the virtual desktop looks like when it shows 2d videos in fisheye mode.

then resize the fisheye size to give different depth cues and there you have the ar technology. each as moving a fisheye overlay that shows a 2d image, resize the fisheye circle for depth cues and there you go, no really fancy and can work with that small computer on the waist.

snowdog said:

Yep, I think AR will be for enhancing real-life... VR for escaping real-life.

Although eventually the hardware will be capable of both.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Of course if you just turn off the lights, AR turns into VR. Well, crappy tiny FOV VR, but still VR. 🙂

Luciferous
Consultant
I was actually going to buy this. Couldn't be more disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2M8Dm14qM

Wildt
Consultant
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

kojack
MVP
MVP
Sticking a Zed Mini on the front of a rift/vive is giving better results:

Luciferous
Consultant
You can tell the Magic Leap guys are really uncomfortable with what they are peddling. Reminds me of 'No Mans Sky'. 

Basically you cannot get anywhere near the holograms. The engineer tries desperately to make this into a feature and says its rude to get too close, nervous laugh. More like nobody is talking about the elephant in the room or the one that is supposed to be in the hand.

I mean 2 billion pounds for this? Somebody should be getting a boot up the arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2NlS8jHYQ

kojack
MVP
MVP

You can tell the Magic Leap guys are really uncomfortable with what they are peddling. Reminds me of 'No Mans Sky'.

4rv24aqmd0aw.png