cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

McReady
Honored Guest
Seems to be that time of the year. Same problem here with my oculus. Adjusting the right side head strap will cut out audio on the right side head phone. There is just a small sweet spot with the strap where the audio is working.

ShiZZ_DiGG
Protege
@phoenixdigital Problems with the audio cutting out or completely disappearing on one side....in association with the movement with the head strap only means one thing. Broken ribbon cable/bad design flaw. Dealing with them now, on a headset from that I started using in July. Don't really know how else to spell it out for them or how "logs" will help. So I'm stuck playing the waiting game at this moment. I guess time will tell how I deal with the situation.

ShiZZ_DiGG
Protege
@KillCard The 2 pins that are being referred to is the GND. So....stilll stereo.  😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Wildt
Consultant
A www.. 14 days after my 2 year warranty ran out, and now I'm sure the infamous loose connection in the strap happened to me too
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I've had this problem now with 3 different rifts.
 Support were very helpful and replaced the units quickly.
The first two lasted about 5/6 months before the audio broke, but my last one barely lasted 2 months. I haven't even bothered to contact support this time as I've had enough of the whole design fault.
I'm now just using my own headphones with the rift. I love my rift and I had recommended buying one to several of my friends in the past. I really can't support them or recommend this product now I know this breakage is so common. Which frankly saddens me after supprting Oculus from the beginning.

Wildt
Consultant

Bloodlet said:

I've had this problem now with 3 different rifts.
 Support were very helpful and replaced the units quickly.
The first two lasted about 5/6 months before the audio broke, but my last one barely lasted 2 months. I haven't even bothered to contact support this time as I've had enough of the whole design fault.
I'm now just using my own headphones with the rift. I love my rift and I had recommended buying one to several of my friends in the past. I really can't support them or recommend this product now I know this breakage is so common. Which frankly saddens me after supprting Oculus from the beginning.

What headphones are you using? I don't wanna wear a heavy wired gaming headset, but most lightweight bluetooth headsets aren't designed to have low latency :cry:

flibberflops
Expert Protege

Wildt said:

A www.. 14 days after my 2 year warranty ran out, and now I'm sure the infamous loose connection in the strap happened to me too

How is that even possible? The CV1 hasn't been available for two years. It was first released in spring 2016!

Wildt
Consultant

Wildt said:

How is that even possible? The CV1 hasn't been available for two years. It was first released in spring 2016!

Oooooh! I just saw the date on the oculus order page, and that's of course the pre-order date - Stupid me! :smiley:
I'm off to contact support then!

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer
As we are nearing the end of warranty for many Oculus customers I think it is about time they offered a paid headset replacement service for users experiencing this obvious design/manufacturing flaw outside of warranty. Charge whatever it costs to have the additional SKU, shipping, support costs.

This simple cost neutral gesture will go a long way to instil goodwill and loyalty from your early adopters.

If you are worried about a bunch of dead headsets being left out in the wild make it a requirement that the user returns their broken headset where you can bin it.

For the record I don't think this is a widespread issue but it is definitely large enough to be a problem for Oculus' reputation if a number of people outside of warranty start getting told "Buy a new headset + accessories"
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

MaximusInfideli
Honored Guest
I purchased my Oculus at Best Buy on 03/04/17, the right-side headphone stopped working last night. At first I could move the strap a bit, but not for long, it has stopped working permanently. I changed the left and right over with no difference, it's definitely a design flaw in the strap.

My advice free of charge to Oculus:
Instead of trying to make a clean looking unit with all kinds of internal prone to wear components, why not just make an external wire with a little slack so that the headset can be adjusted? Does not look slick, but how slick is a broken sleek looking headset? Also it should be easy to repair, never use glue on components like this, when I'm building the machines that I make I always take into account easy access and maintenance. I would never seal components like this with glue. 

I really don't want to bother sending this thing in, because it appears I will get the same thing back. Remember that definition of insanity? I will do it once (fool me once shame on you...lol), then if this happens again, unfortunately I will be forced to buy another competitors unit.