cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR is Taking the World by Storm: Over 1 Million Headsets Sold in Q3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

As some may recall, back in 2016 the numbers for PCVR were barely approaching 1-million if we combined the estimates of both the Vive and Rift figures. And that's the total from April 2016 all the way through December.

Today, however...

For the first time since being introduced to the market, over one million (yes, that’s 1,000,000+) VR headsets flew off the shelves in a single fiscal quarter.

First thought to be a “fad” or gimmicky piece of tech, professionals within gaming and other industries are now changing their tune, touting functional VR as a technological breakthrough that could impact any number of industries and change our daily lives for the better.

When most of us think about VR we immediately default to gaming, but VR is so much more. Virtual reality is now taking a front row seat in a wide range of industries and applications, from healthcare, to education, to military and defense.

And for those of us with a competitive streak, we can see who is leading the charge:

•    Sony – 490,000 units (or ½ of total sales volume)
    •    Oculus – 210,000 units
    •    HTC – 160,000 units

Congrats to Facebook and Oculus for maintaining their #1 spot in PCVR.

Here's the lengthy article that is worth the read:
https://www.vrbeginnersguide.com/vr-is-taking-the-world-by-storm/
91 REPLIES 91

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Lmfao, I've just had a couple of people on Reddit slating me for saying that 98% of the games on Steam are shite lol.

98% is quite high. You should have went with 73%; that's a much easier pill for the general populace to swallow lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah...98% is probably too low if anything lol 😮 😄

MowTin
Expert Trustee
To be fair the Vive has room scale out the box and I still don't have room scale despite buying third sensor, sensor mounts and USB extension cables. Why I don't have time to set it up. This is a huge pain. So, Vive is a solid choice. 

I would still buy a Rift but I'm not a fanboy about it.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

snowdog said:

I've never tried eggnog, it's not a popular thing over here in the civilised world 😛

D'you know, i don't even know what it is - heard of it, but don't have a clue.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

I've never tried eggnog, it's not a popular thing over here in the civilised world 😛

D'you know, i don't even know what it is - heard of it, but don't have a clue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one lmfao 😄 😄 😄

I know it's got egg and alcohol in it but that's as far as my knowledge goes. You always see it featured on US telly shows but I can't remember anyone during these shows letting us know what's in the bloomin things.

"a rich, chilled, sweeteneddairy-based beverage. It is traditionally made with milkcream, sugar, whipped egg whites, and egg yolks (which gives it a frothy texture, and its name).

Throughout Canada and the United States, eggnog is traditionally consumed over Christmas season every year, from American Thanksgiving until the end of the holiday season"

Sounds awful.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

To be fair the Vive has room scale out the box and I still don't have room scale despite buying third sensor, sensor mounts and USB extension cables. Why I don't have time to set it up. This is a huge pain. So, Vive is a solid choice. 

Took me less then 30 mins to put up 3 sensors with some brackets I purchased from Amazon. That includes using 3 bits of trunking to hide the cables. How is that a huge pain lol?  

w_benjamin
Adventurer
Purchase? I drilled a hole in each of the bases they sent and screwed them to the ceiling.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I get the feeling that a lot of the vive hype is coming from twitch with a few succesfull vrchat streamers thinking that vive is above superior to rift.

I dont get it. I have been playing around with both before making up my mind and getting a rift.
Only thing better about vive is slightly better optics, but having a pc powerful enough to handle supersampling at around 1.5 equals that out.
Still wants both to be succesfull .. We need competition, and we need more vrgames and vrsoftware titles !
Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

We all pick our poison, I suppose. Fanboying room-scale is still fanboying, afterall.

But fanboism aside, what would you play with Room-Scale? Other than Onward.

In a few short months we are about to hit the 2-year mark of PCVR, and Room-Scale launched with the Vive from the beginning. What great room-scale titles (plural - so list more than Onward) have taken the VR World by storm?