cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is your Rift's view tilted / slanted? Here's how you fix it

Articate
Explorer
I am writing this thread in response to my experience with Oculus support. Oculus support has an extremely quick first line support, however they did not have the tools to deal with this issue, and the second tier seem to go through this dance of "please provide pictures of the issue", which seems like a waste of time. I am writing this thread both to let Oculus know their routines on this issue should be improved, and to help those who anxiously await the support they want.

Fear not! Most of the time, the Rift isn't faulty!

There is a calibration tool for the IMU (Inertia Measuring Unit - it's the part that measures how the Rift is rotated, tilted etc) that I used with great success. I want to link to the guide I used, and point out some important parts about this:

1) YOU'RE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
This is important. It seems like Oculus do want some sort of control of who uses the tool since it's not that easy to get. It would be pretty easy for the Oculus team to pack this into a nice GUI with steps of how to perform a recalibration, so since they haven't done that, it could indicate that in some cases, this might not be the right thing to do. Without the support team saying "yes, you can run this tool", you should not assume that this will fix your problem, nor be certain that this won't make things worse. At worst, it can be harmful to use this tool, so be cautious when using it, and do this at your own risk

2) This is specifically for issues where the horizon line is slanted or tilted. I think the best way to notice this is just to put on the HMD, pull up a grid view (like the universal menu). If you notice it here, it most likely is there. This rules out the surface you put it down on being slanted in itself, etc. This is never due to a slanted sensor, as the sensor knows what is up and down.

It is very important that the calibration is run when the Rift has been completely disconnected for hours and hours. Leave it alone overnight. This is because the tool calibrates the IMU at all temperatures, since temperature affects the IMU. It runs for ten minutes so it can go from cold to hot and calibrate all the steps along the way. It is also important that it is placed on the most stable surface you can find.

Follow all the steps and use this guide, you can download the tool there:
http://www.vrheads.com/how-fix-oculus-rift-calibrations-problems

This fixed my problem. I hope this can help others. Remember that this might be the right cause of action. Contact Oculus support if you are experiencing this issue, perhaps even say that you do intend to use the calibration tool, and ask if it's the right thing to do. I hope this post can make Oculus' response to this issue be more efficient, as it is such a well-known issue that there should be a standardized response.
32 REPLIES 32

simo1000rr
Protege
to the post above , im going on my third year of the Oculus Rift and i still my rift is tilted to the left side about 5 or so degree. it has been reported by too many oculus owners and they all reported that its tilted to the left " all of them " , The oculus guys either knows what happened and they dont want to say it or the have no clue what is going on either way that goes to tell you and everyone else not to even get close to their products anymore . its the way how they treat their costumer is so F***** arrogant that i had enough . 
my next VR device for sure wont be an oculus . im crossing my finger with the Samsung odyssey release next month.

Cuda_UK
Honored Guest
Got my Rift CV1 yesterday and i believe it was on the tilt to the left from the very start...i also can't believe this is a well known issue (that never cropped up in tons of reviews i saw) and has been for a long while it seems!? WHEN is this going to be fixed Oculus?? 

Guiguito
Honored Guest
I also have this issue on a brand new Oculus. That would be great to get a solution on this. Oculus what are you doing about it ? it is really disturbing and clearly helps motion sickness.

deftware
Expert Protege
I just got a Rift and the horizon was level yesterday all day. It was level the first-half of today, now it's not. A little to the left like everybody else. Clearly this is a software issue if someone pointed out that playing Robo Recall via Revive on a non-Rift also had a slight leftward tilt.

Lupuz78
Honored Guest
Just got rift. And mine is also tilted to the left from the start (maybe about 5 degrees, more or less). If I had known about this before and known how long this has persisted as a common issue without a fix, I would have not bought Rift (and would have bought a WMR set instead). This needs to be fixed fast! I'm getting a bit dizzy when using Oculus because of this (and I'm not a newbie with VR - I develop VR software at my work). There absolutely needs to be some tool/ini-file whatever that allows you to make minor adjustments to the level manually.

Edit: I will give Oculus one more chance and will get replacement unit from the store.

Ferretsnarf
Honored Guest
I also just got my rift (two days ago).  As with everyone else, it suddenly has a tilt to the left.  It's enough to be unusable without quite a bit of discomfort.

Lupuz78
Honored Guest
Some update: I tested this a lot and tried to make a new camera setup with different positions for cameras. But the same problem persists. Interesting was that as I turned around 180 degrees the scene remained tilted to the same direction (right this time), but then slowly it started tilting to the left, so that when I looked in one direction, it always started to tilt left from that position. In effect, looking fast in different directions, the whole world seemed to wobble like the deck of a boat, slowly making me motion sick.

elboffor
Consultant
Ive recently got this a lot more prominent than before.
Gonna have to reach out to support again i think
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

YoLolo69
Trustee
@Luputz78 This is based on temperatures, that's probably why you see it changed slowly. Rift have an array which compensate gyroscope errors due current temperatures of the headset. When I used the calibration tools months ago, I needed to start the program when the headset was cool and on flat surface, and the test last until temperatures raise a certain amount after a certain time. The tool fill an array of those compensation value to try to stay flat whatever temp it reach. Saying that, after this calibration I still have a few degree tilt to the left but learned to live with (it's pretty light).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

simo1000rr
Protege
Guys rest assure that they will not even bother with you , its been like that since the oculus release and they didnt bother . lets see if they will even comment here , they comment on every other topic in the Forum but they look at this topic and they turn their head the other way and continue walking :wink: