cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescription Lenses & Adapters - Has anyone compared the various options?

danimfernandes
Honored Guest
Hello everyone!

Got my Rift a few months ago and soon realised that indeed using my glasses or contact lenses made a massive difference. I am near-sighted but I noticed that also near objects were more easily focused with the glasses/lenses, so I really need to get a pair of lenses and adapters - I don't want to scratch my Rift, and I do not want to use contacts every time I want to use the HMD.

So... Have you guys experimented with the different suppliers? I have seen a few posts about people saying they bought A or B, but no comparison so far.
I have found the following:
- vr-lens-lab.com
- vr-lens.eu
- widmovr.com

From what I have read, only VR Lens Lab had some bad reviews regarding bad fitting of the adapters. Also, since they come from outside the EU, I am more inclined to go for one of the other two suppliers. I am more inclined to the WIDMOVR ones, but they seem to stay really far from the Rift lenses, so I wonder if that will 1) be uncomfortable and touch my eyelashes, for example, and 2) affect FOV and the ability to look sideway with your eyes (as when the left eye sight is obstructed by your nose when you look right).

Have any of you guys tried the different brands, and if so, which one would you suggest?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried the VR Lens Lab ones first for a year and then bought the WidmoVR ones which I'm using now.

The VR Lens Lab ones are a bit hit or miss depending on the size and shape of your Rift. Each Rift is slightly different so people's experiences varied - mine stayed in place most of the time but dropped out every once in a while. The Lens Lab ones have a bit of barrel distortion but you get used to it after a while and forget that it's there.

The WidmoVR ones that I'm currently using are excellent. No barrel distortion and I too was worried about my eyelashes but I haven't had any problems with them which is surprising for me because mine are quite long.

With my experience of using both I'm going for WidmoVR lenses again next year and would advise anyone else to go for them too.

I'm very interested in this too.

I suspect though that people trying any of these option is likely to just choose one rather than compare different makes. If anyone has gone for any of these or even better tried a couple, please give us your thoughts. Clarity of vision is my main concern... if you could include lens prescription to give an indication of strength involved, that would be great too!

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
I've used the WidmoVR for about two months now, and I'm very happy with them. I'm nearsighted, -5 on the left eye and -6 on the right one, so I had to get the high index option to avoid too thick glasses, and they're just perfect 🙂
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Does WidmoVR deliver outside of the US?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does WidmoVR deliver outside of the US?

Yup, they're manufactured and shipped from Poland so if you're in Europe or the UK you'll get them quicker than someone ordering from the US. Mine took a week or two to come to the UK if I remember correctly.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
I'm in France, and mine took about three weeks
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

danimfernandes
Honored Guest
Thanks very much guys.

Snowdog, that is great to hear. Not only that you have compared at least two different sets, but also about the room they take in place. I also wondered about the distortion, so thanks for addressing that straight away.

FastForward352, -5/6 is quite a bit 🙂 I am only -1, but I am very picky with my vision and always want it as clear as possible. I actually kinda noticed that unexpectedly, because I am near-sighted and not far-sighted, I am having more trouble focusing objects between say 0 and 1-virtual-meters than far away stuff. Far stuff appears a bit foggy and blurry, near stuff just messes with my brain and I find it very hard to focus with the two eyes. As an example, the 3D Experiences with Magga Braco with constant movements back-and-forth are a massive pain to focus without the glasses/contacts...

KevinGrace82
Honored Guest
I only tried the vr-lens.eu and I must say I am not completely happy with the choice. I can see much better now, it is more safe (for the lenses) and comfortable to use compared to glasses, but they are difficult to put on, tend to fall off quite easily and will touch your nose getting greasy and foggy almost instantly

Ravenger
Expert Protege
I've got the Widmovr lenses and they're excellent. Easy to fit, stay in place and give very clear vision. I find I may have to adjust them slightly sometimes by moving the bottom lugs of the lenses outwards slightly, but in general they're amazing.

I have short sight, astigmatism, and presbyopia (age related inablility to read things close up) and they've completely transformed my experience of using the Rift, as I can now just pull it on and off without mucking around trying to get my glasses into position and being paranoid about scratching the Rift lenses.

Best thing about the Rift if you have presbyopia is that it's no longer an issue - as the rift focuses at around six feet I can read text, etc. without having to have reading glasses / varifocals.