New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Analogue Sticks or Track Pad?

Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
edited December 2017 in General
It's come up a few times in many different threads - let's give Oculus some clear feedback.

Analogue Sticks or Track Pad? 39 votes

Analogue Sticks
97%
cyberealityLuciferouskojackHiro_Protag0nistvannagirlWildtnalex66korgen63jayhawkLitespeedYoLolo69AnnieCelbofforsnowdogSyrellariselrealchiquikzintziLZoltowskiTadinSiilk 38 votes
Track Pads
2%
Atmos73 1 vote

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    Analogue Sticks
    The control with analogue sticks is far superior in my opinion and is what serious gamers are used to.

Unless we have gloves with finger tracking, please stick to analogue sticks!
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    Analogue Sticks
    Agreed, an analog stick can do everything a track pad can but a track pad can't do everything an analog stick does.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,635 Valuable Player
    Analogue Sticks
    It's actually spelt 'analog' from the American spelling, and they got my vote. All you need to do is look at the Vive sub-Reddit to see how unreliable trackpads are, at least on the Vive wands. I guess some of them have gone wonky after spending so much time in a dodgy warehouse lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Analogue Sticks
    I just checked the first post - it's definitely spelt analogue.

;) 
    Analogue Sticks
    Not in the industry it isn't. American spellings tend to get right on my tits too, but not as bad as a great deal of them saying "Could care less" instead of "Couldn't care less". There's nothing more annoying than that! :o:|
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Analogue Sticks
    snowdog said:
    Not in the industry it isn't. American spellings tend to get right on my tits too, but not as bad as a great deal of them saying "Could care less" instead of "Couldn't care less". There's nothing more annoying than that! :o:|

God damned Americans!  

Hope there's none around here...   :*
    Analogue Sticks
    I'd love to go over there one day because I've always wanted to go...just to try their Diet Coke lol. Diet coke is weird, every now and then you go to a corner shop or cafe and get a Diet Coke in a can and it's foreign. Usually from some European country or other and they all taste different. And none of them taste as good as the UK one. I guess it must be something to do with the different water in each country, perhaps?

edited December 2017
    Analogue Sticks
    snowdog said:
    I'd love to go over there one day because I've always wanted to go...just to try their Diet Coke lol. Diet coke is weird, every now and then you go to a corner shop or cafe and get a Diet Coke in a can and it's foreign. Usually from some European country or other and they all taste different. And none of them taste as good as the UK one. I guess it must be something to do with the different water in each country, perhaps?

That'll be Coke Light and yes, it's pure filth i tell thee!

We're digressing...
  • MrGraveyMrGravey Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Analogue Sticks
    I'm 'murican ;) Diet Coke is poison, don't do it!
    I also vote 'analog' sticks. For me, I've grown up with console gaming using analog sticks and feel very comfortable using them. I see track pads being frustrating at times possibly with the navigation of menus or something. Plus I've heard that the Vive wand's track pads have had MANY issues and I have seen MANY a YouTuber have to get replacement wands because they break easily :p Analogue sticks all the way.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Analogue Sticks
    I used to play timesplitters 2 on the ps2 a lot way back when and got ridiculously accurate with the thumb sticks.
    Cant really aim for shit with em now like.

If memory serves, steam were trying to bridge the gap between mouse and thumb sricks when they brought in touch pads for the steam controllers and the theory was sound. In practice however they are just a bit shit.

Now back on topic, i somewhat prefer pepsi max to diet coke, seems less artificially sweet to my palette bit is most likely still as full of poiseness aspartame as the latter.

Really gone off full fat coke these last few years but i used to always go for it when i had a choice previously.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    edited January 2018
    Analogue Sticks
    snowdog said:
    It's actually spelt 'analog' from the American spelling, and they got my vote. All you need to do is look at the Vive sub-Reddit to see how unreliable trackpads are, at least on the Vive wands. I guess some of them have gone wonky after spending so much time in a dodgy warehouse lol :D
    Traditionally it is spelled analogue, however american writers tend to drop the silent -ue. Much of the English words stem from Greek or Latin origins, which carried strange quirks with them. Overtime, American writers had the need to simplify it. 
    Also, American English uses both Analog and Analogue. Where Analog can be used as Adjective or Noun. Analogue is mostly used in the Noun area. In British English, Analogue is still the favourable word for both adjective and nouns.

Slightly off topic :p

I prefer analogue sticks, I feel I have better control with them then track pads. Though, I do hope to see we do away with controllers in VR altogether and end up using either Gloves that are fully tracked, or sensors that can pick up hand movement well enough to perform all functions in VR.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Analogue Sticks
    Well the first english dictionary was actually written by an american and he decided from the many ways things were spelt around England which ones were "correct".
    As a coder ive kind of gotten used to spelling colour as color although i still think its vastly wrong.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    edited January 2018
    Analogue Sticks
    elboffor said:
    Well the first english dictionary was actually written by an american and he decided from the many ways things were spelt around England which ones were "correct".
    As a coder ive kind of gotten used to spelling colour as color although i still think its vastly wrong.
    The first Latin-English dictionary was written in the early 1500's. Followed by Robert Cawdrey's in the early 1600's. Both writers are from England. However I would not be surprised if there are earlier ones.
    Analogue Sticks
    American's crappy spelling is all down to people of poor education leaving their home countries to emigrate after America was discovered. The vast majority of the so-called Founding Fathers and early settlers were poor and ill-educated and moved over there for new opportunities. That's why the majority of words are speld the way they sound.

Analogue Sticks
    Did you seriously not see what I did there..? :o

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player
    Analogue Sticks
    snowdog said:
    American's crappy spelling is all down to people of poor education leaving their home countries to emigrate after America was discovered. The vast majority of the so-called Founding Fathers and early settlers were poor and ill-educated and moved over there for new opportunities. That's why the majority of words are speld the way they sound.
    This speaks volumes for the English jail (gaol) system, because the convicts who settled Australia (after it was discovered) spell the same way as the English do.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,815 Volunteer Moderator
    I'd like to try thumb trackpads before deciding. I mean laptops used to have a little finger stick thing before trackpads came along and I never did get used to that stick thing. So I'm guessing it depends on the game or app. Maybe an FPS works well with a pad, with zero momentum thumb movement being good for looking around... and a stick works good for controlling movement cos you want a little bit more physical feedback of where your thumb is. Well, like I say, would like to compare the two.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,474 Volunteer Moderator
    Analogue Sticks

I'd like to try thumb trackpads before deciding. I mean laptops used to have a little finger stick thing before trackpads came along and I never did get used to that stick thing. So I'm guessing it depends on the game or app.
    Track pads are good at controlling a mouse cursor. Although on my laptop I disabled the track pad and use a real mouse with it (Logitech MX Master) and on my Surface Pro I use the pen.
    In VR we usually don't move a mouse cursor around with our thumbs.

edited January 2018
    kojack said:
    Track pads are good at controlling a mouse cursor. Although on my laptop I disabled the track pad and use a real mouse with it (Logitech MX Master) and on my Surface Pro I use the pen.
    In VR we usually don't move a mouse cursor around with our thumbs.

I used to commute long distance and the only seats you could sometimes get were the single seats with tiny table... not ideal for mouse use, so I eventually got good with the pad.

I guess I only ever need mouse-look in a desktop FPS, whereas in VR we only use our heads to look. I'm just wondering if there would be any games where a thumbpad, emulating a mouse would be a good idea. Maybe an RTS... where you're looking around and at the same time controlling stuff with yer thumb? group selecting etc. Probably a niche scenario. I just haven't tried track pads for thumbs in VR so I wouldn't want to dismiss it for other stuff.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 810
    3Jane
    edited January 2018
    Analogue Sticks
    Trackpads are a reasonable mouse substitute just like trackballs. So the obvious question is when is a mouse better than a stick? The answer is simple, whenever you have to click on something. That can be playing an RTS, navigating windows, using a word processor or coding in Visual Studio. The thing is, we point with our touch controllers for that part, we aren't using the thumbsticks. The thumbsticks are used exclusively to alter the user's camera perspective. For movement, an analog stick has always been better and when that isn't possible, the standard method is using the w, a, s, and d keys. The wasd keys are what the trackpads and analog sticks replace in VR.
    A pad also opens up the possibility of thumb gestures which are trickier with a stick, possibly another niche thing but could be fun to experiment with... gesturing with Touch themselves might not be good if you're aiming something at the same time. Different gestures activating different elements of a weapon for example... reload, scope, change of ammunition etc. 

Sticks always return to centre when released, whereas with a pad, a dev can decide whether it returns to centre on release or remain at the last position, that may also be a useful thing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that I don't think we've fully explored the possibilities. I'd like an undecided option in the vote!!
    Analogue Sticks
    I'm slightly worried that one person hasn't voted...

No pressure!

No pressure!
    I just now viewed the vote results! oh no, is this a Rift vs Vive thing!!! where's that back door
    Analogue Sticks

No pressure!
    I just now viewed the vote results! oh no, is this a Rift vs Vive thing!!! where's that back door

No no.  

I'm waiting for cyber to vote.

Cyber has unearthly multi-digit appendages and can often just will things to move without even touching them. Not sure he needs sticks or pads.

Analogue Sticks
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Analogue Sticks
    Analogue sticks or no sale
    Analogue Sticks
    Analogue sticks or no sale

Probably the same here.  Would be horrible if the headset is fantastic.  Can controllers be so important that we have to say no to the headset?

We'll see.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Analogue Sticks
    The touch controllers now are something truly special, they are just balanced in the right way and feel so natural. I don't want them to change for the sake of change.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Analogue Sticks
    The touch controllers now are something truly special, they are just balanced in the right way and feel so natural. I don't want them to change for the sake of change.
    A how the heck will those Santa Cruz ones be backward compatible with no buttons?! Will the current catalogue of games even be supported? Argh, so many questions lol ..
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)