cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue Sticks or Track Pad?

It's come up a few times in many different threads - let's give Oculus some clear feedback.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
35 REPLIES 35

elboffor
Consultant
I used to play timesplitters 2 on the ps2 a lot way back when and got ridiculously accurate with the thumb sticks.
Cant really aim for shit with em now like.

If memory serves, steam were trying to bridge the gap between mouse and thumb sricks when they brought in touch pads for the steam controllers and the theory was sound. In practice however they are just a bit shit.

Now back on topic, i somewhat prefer pepsi max to diet coke, seems less artificially sweet to my palette bit is most likely still as full of poiseness aspartame as the latter.

Really gone off full fat coke these last few years but i used to always go for it when i had a choice previously.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

snowdog said:

It's actually spelt 'analog' from the American spelling, and they got my vote. All you need to do is look at the Vive sub-Reddit to see how unreliable trackpads are, at least on the Vive wands. I guess some of them have gone wonky after spending so much time in a dodgy warehouse lol 😄

Traditionally it is spelled analogue, however american writers tend to drop the silent -ue. Much of the English words stem from Greek or Latin origins, which carried strange quirks with them. Overtime, American writers had the need to simplify it. 
Also, American English uses both Analog and Analogue. Where Analog can be used as Adjective or Noun. Analogue is mostly used in the Noun area. In British English, Analogue is still the favourable word for both adjective and nouns.

Slightly off topic 😛

I prefer analogue sticks, I feel I have better control with them then track pads. Though, I do hope to see we do away with controllers in VR altogether and end up using either Gloves that are fully tracked, or sensors that can pick up hand movement well enough to perform all functions in VR.

elboffor
Consultant
Well the first english dictionary was actually written by an american and he decided from the many ways things were spelt around England which ones were "correct".
As a coder ive kind of gotten used to spelling colour as color although i still think its vastly wrong.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

elboffor said:

Well the first english dictionary was actually written by an american and he decided from the many ways things were spelt around England which ones were "correct".
As a coder ive kind of gotten used to spelling colour as color although i still think its vastly wrong.

The first Latin-English dictionary was written in the early 1500's. Followed by Robert Cawdrey's in the early 1600's. Both writers are from England. However I would not be surprised if there are earlier ones.

Anonymous
Not applicable
American's crappy spelling is all down to people of poor education leaving their home countries to emigrate after America was discovered. The vast majority of the so-called Founding Fathers and early settlers were poor and ill-educated and moved over there for new opportunities. That's why the majority of words are speld the way they sound.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you seriously not see what I did there..? 😮

Richooal
Consultant

snowdog said:

American's crappy spelling is all down to people of poor education leaving their home countries to emigrate after America was discovered. The vast majority of the so-called Founding Fathers and early settlers were poor and ill-educated and moved over there for new opportunities. That's why the majority of words are speld the way they sound.

This speaks volumes for the English jail (gaol) system, because the convicts who settled Australia (after it was discovered) spell the same way as the English do.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

I'd like to try thumb trackpads before deciding. I mean laptops used to have a little finger stick thing before trackpads came along and I never did get used to that stick thing. So I'm guessing it depends on the game or app. Maybe an FPS works well with a pad, with zero momentum thumb movement being good for looking around... and a stick works good for controlling movement cos you want a little bit more physical feedback of where your thumb is. Well, like I say, would like to compare the two.

kojack
MVP
MVP

I'd like to try thumb trackpads before deciding. I mean laptops used to have a little finger stick thing before trackpads came along and I never did get used to that stick thing. So I'm guessing it depends on the game or app.

Track pads are good at controlling a mouse cursor. Although on my laptop I disabled the track pad and use a real mouse with it (Logitech MX Master) and on my Surface Pro I use the pen.
In VR we usually don't move a mouse cursor around with our thumbs.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack said:

Track pads are good at controlling a mouse cursor. Although on my laptop I disabled the track pad and use a real mouse with it (Logitech MX Master) and on my Surface Pro I use the pen.
In VR we usually don't move a mouse cursor around with our thumbs.

I used to commute long distance and the only seats you could sometimes get were the single seats with tiny table... not ideal for mouse use, so I eventually got good with the pad.

I guess I only ever need mouse-look in a desktop FPS, whereas in VR we only use our heads to look. I'm just wondering if there would be any games where a thumbpad, emulating a mouse would be a good idea. Maybe an RTS... where you're looking around and at the same time controlling stuff with yer thumb? group selecting etc. Probably a niche scenario. I just haven't tried track pads for thumbs in VR so I wouldn't want to dismiss it for other stuff.