cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue Sticks or Track Pad?

It's come up a few times in many different threads - let's give Oculus some clear feedback.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
35 REPLIES 35

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Trackpads are a reasonable mouse substitute just like trackballs. So the obvious question is when is a mouse better than a stick? The answer is simple, whenever you have to click on something. That can be playing an RTS, navigating windows, using a word processor or coding in Visual Studio. The thing is, we point with our touch controllers for that part, we aren't using the thumbsticks. The thumbsticks are used exclusively to alter the user's camera perspective. For movement, an analog stick has always been better and when that isn't possible, the standard method is using the w, a, s, and d keys. The wasd keys are what the trackpads and analog sticks replace in VR.

A pad also opens up the possibility of thumb gestures which are trickier with a stick, possibly another niche thing but could be fun to experiment with... gesturing with Touch themselves might not be good if you're aiming something at the same time. Different gestures activating different elements of a weapon for example... reload, scope, change of ammunition etc. 

Sticks always return to centre when released, whereas with a pad, a dev can decide whether it returns to centre on release or remain at the last position, that may also be a useful thing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that I don't think we've fully explored the possibilities. I'd like an undecided option in the vote!!

I'm slightly worried that one person hasn't voted...

No pressure!

No pressure!

I just now viewed the vote results! oh no, is this a Rift vs Vive thing!!! where's that back door

No pressure!

I just now viewed the vote results! oh no, is this a Rift vs Vive thing!!! where's that back door

No no.  

I'm waiting for cyber to vote.

Cyber has unearthly multi-digit appendages and can often just will things to move without even touching them. Not sure he needs sticks or pads.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Analogue sticks or no sale

Analogue sticks or no sale

Probably the same here.  Would be horrible if the headset is fantastic.  Can controllers be so important that we have to say no to the headset?

We'll see.

LZoltowski
Champion
The touch controllers now are something truly special, they are just balanced in the right way and feel so natural. I don't want them to change for the sake of change.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂