New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Reveals the Top Selling VR Titles of 2017

Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
edited January 2018 in General
The top selling VR titles are as follows, organised into tiers by gross revenue but I've added sales figues (not revenue figure) to top middle and bottom titles for comparison.

Job Simulator: The 2050 Archives 170,847
Raw Data
Arizona Sunshine
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
SuperHot VR
AudioShield 142,108
Space Pirate Trainer
Tilt Brush
Gorn
Fallout 4 VR
Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-Ality
Onward 96,375

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_top_vr_titles/

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.

Comments

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    It would be interesting if Oculus released some sales figure too but I wont hold my breath.

Last I heard The Climb was Rifts best selling title by revenue but that was before Lone Echo came out.

I guess popular Oculus titles such as Robo Recall won't have good revenue figures at all due to being given away with Touch.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    Top 3 are pretty much Lone Echo, The Climb and From other suns. Followed by Superhot VR and Arizona Sunshine.

The Gold Christmas pack is also a best seller, but that contains the above mentioned games, not From other suns, and adds Star trek and Tilt Brush.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,524 Valuable Player
    500,000 Vive units were sold in 2016, and we can easily estimate another 500,000 for 2017.

Out of 1 million+ Vive users... the highest selling game is less than 175k? LMAO

I guess we can safely assume that the other 800,000+ Vive owners are using Revive to play those awesome Oculus games.

Someone had to point out the math here. Carry on!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    ... I guess we can safely assume that the other 800,000+ Vive owners are using Revive to play those awesome Oculus games.
    Do you think all the Vive owners are gamerz? I heard a lot of buyers were doing more intellectual stuff.
    170K games is suspiciously low though. What are the Oculus numbers for comparison?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    Roaster said:
    I heard a lot of buyers were doing more intellectual stuff.

What is the intellectual stuff you believe they are using it for? Also, what do you use your HMD for? Oh... and where did you "hear" this from? Cite the source.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,700 Valuable Player
    Roaster said:
    I heard a lot of buyers were doing more intellectual stuff.
    170K games is suspiciously low though. What are the Oculus numbers for comparison?

You are correct a large percentage of the sales of HTC Vive's are for commercial application beyond the use of consumer sales. For just one example, the London VR theme park attraction (Ghost Train) uses some 50 units, and is known to have originally purchased some 250 units back in 2016. This is just one example of numerous international VR arcade and VR park applications using the Vive - along with a number of commercial & military simulation companies, some of which exhibited at ITEC in Orlando last month.

Regarding asking for OVR numbers, I think your question will fall on deaf ears at the moment.  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited January 2018

The Rift was part of a project that won an Academy Award:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58748/a-vr-experience-is-winning-an-academy-award

That seems a rather intellectual use of the Rift beyond mere gaming.

The GearVR is powered by Oculus and its store, and it is the primary headset used at Amusement Parks:
    https://www.sixflags.com/america/attractions/vr/news-release

GearVR outsold the Rift and Vive combined... which is important in this conversation since the topic at hand refers to software sales; which the Oculus Store gains revenue from with each GearVR app purchase.

The Oculus Store powers 2 devices, with 2 more on the way. Steam simply cannot compete. And pretending that the other 800,000 Vive units sold are being used for intellectual things or arcades is rather fictitious.

There's a reason that Palmer Lucky is giving a monthly stipend to Revive... because it lets Vive users play Oculus games.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    The idea that there exists a non gamer is not new.
    https://www.wareable.com/htc/best-apps-experiences-htc-vive-213
    I like sculpting with medium, and Google Earth, and documentary nature videos.  I looked at Autodesk VRED but they want more than I can afford at the moment.  I like cad and I'm making a scratch-built cnc machine, so I want to visualize my projects mo better.
    The anatomy visualization stuff is interesting, and VR should be required for any MD interpreting scans.
    I want to be able to digitize my hot rod to explore custom body work ideas, so I have a kinect to work up and try that.
    Entertainment videos are good too, but not everyone is into that due to the quality and wearability problems.
    I could go on. There are more usage possibilities than games.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    edited January 2018
    Roaster said:
    The idea that there exists a non gamer is not new.
    https://www.wareable.com/htc/best-apps-experiences-htc-vive-213
    I like sculpting with medium, and Google Earth, and documentary nature videos.  I looked at Autodesk VRED but they want more than I can afford at the moment.  I like cad and I'm making a scratch-built cnc machine, so I want to visualize my projects mo better.
    The anatomy visualization stuff is interesting, and VR should be required for any MD interpreting scans.
    I want to be able to digitize my hot rod to explore custom body work ideas, so I have a kinect to work up and try that.
    Entertainment videos are good too, but not everyone is into that due to the quality and wearability problems.
    I could go on. There are more usage possibilities than games.

Those are all Apps and Experiences available between Oculus Store and Steam, and they were naturally part of the numbers being discussed. Clearly there is a market for them but the only one that ranked high enough was Tilt Brush (check the post again):
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/60774/steam-reveals-the-top-selling-vr-titles-of-2017
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    Well, 170k copies is nothing to scoff at and that number includes the Vive, Rift and WMR headsets (maybe pimax too for some). Given the wide variety of tastes in games, it's unreasonable to expect most users to buy any particular game, especially since most are also sold on the Oculus store and thus not all sales are shown.
    edited January 2018
    It was only in July 2017 Jason Rubin’s revealed The Climb had made 1million in revenue which is equal to 20,000 game sales. So Rift best selling title only sold 20,000 sales and people are scoffing at 170,000 six months later? Do people think The Climb sold another 150,000 copies in the last six months to equal 170,000 Steams top selling game?

Rift has a far more limited market as it only sells to the Rift while Steam sells to Vive WMR and Rift.

If Oculus games are selling so well we should expect some figures soon. Only then will we see the reality of Facebooks creation. Then the real scoffing can begin Zenbane.
    I don’t think there’s any suprised here. WMR was selling for $200 at some point and has better res and optics and is mobile with a laptop.

HTC need to do a refresh package with Knuckles, BS2 up the res and new optics to keep in there. Lower the price to £500 too and include the DAS as standard.

I said this a long time ago, I doubt GabeN will care what headset has the biggest market share as long as people are buying their games there while Oculus continue to block out Vive and WMR.

If HMD sales between Vive and Rift are 50/50 I would put game sales between SteamVR and Oculus Home at 75/25 in SteamVR favour.

Its Blu-ray v HD-DVD all over again.
    3Jane
    Blu-ray was considered the underdog just like oculus is this time. Guess who won that Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, i think you know.

Also, it's comparing apples to oranges. SteamVR is not a standalone store, its just a category inside Steam. Nothing else. Steam is an already established game platform so obviously most people will be using that to purchase games because they don't want various clients on there pc. Otherwise people would not be bitching about Origin, Uplay etc.

Oculus are 100% VR Steam are 99.9 2D gaming making Steam the underdog here.

Oculus invested half a billion into games while Valve have yet to release a game.

Oculus have slashed the Rift price to boost its user base Vive kept it prices high.

Oculus can’t be concidered the under dog if Zenbane say Oculus are the leader and Vive copies them lol

Anyway I picked Bluray from the start and the way things are going I’m not about to change my mind on the SteamVR platform.

Waits for wrecking ball to arrive. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    I bought HDDVD
    I bought CD32
    hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky for me buying the rift as opposed to things coming in 3's ;)

my hope is however it wont be a BR / HDDVD or betamax / VHS thing however, I still hold out hope for whoever is at fault for oculus not being able to natively support the vive relenting and at some point having complete to the metal support for multiple hmds.
    imo its not that far out a hope, after all ALL of the major players are part of the Global VR association.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
     If Oculus opened the doors I’d have no problem buying games like Lone Echo as I’m sure a lot of other Vivers would too. But if in the next 12 months SteamVR gets a Lone Echo esq game it won’t matter if Oculus opens the doors or not. 

Actually is Lone Echo a timed exclusive?
    I just want to congratulate Onward for breaking through 100,000 Steam sales today.
    At no point can OVR be considered the underdog. 
    But if the company can only be claimed to be leading the market by attaching the Samsung business to them, (via their association in supporting the GVR), then the argument may be on shaky ground.

That grounds "durability", is defined by the fact that Samsung, rather than focusing on this association has decided, both to abandon their Daydream and GVR investments and focus wholly (for the time being) on the WinMR platform. (Word on the status of the Note8 GVR II platform muted - though it is expected to be available soon).

There is obviously some confusion from anonymous pundits towards the scope of investment in VR for amusement and attraction - claims like "primary headset used at Amusement Parks" for the GVR, misses the main issue that only one major manufacturer has installed VR on theme park attractions in numbers (VR Coaster) - and that company has decided to evaluate their position using GVR: http://sensics.com/vr-coaster-sensics-partner-create-one-vr-headset-optimized-theme-parks/

[Note - important to understand that VR Coaster has worked alongside Samsung  wholly, with no involvement of OVR in the development of their VR roller coaster and attraction platform, to date].

That said the GVR has done sterling work in popularising VR on attractions - a business that some pundits claimed would never be of any importance and would not work. Now we are seeing Digital Out-of-Home Entertainment (DOE) investment in VR increasing against a changeable consumer VR approach. The new Marvel VR project the latest to see a pivot to DOE, as seen with Star Trek and John Wicks to name a few.

OVR can not be considered the underdog. Not after a $3b investment - however, the level of return on investment from the PC endeavour will have to start looking a lot better than some of the numbers being thrown around! 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    I really can't see the WMR lasting long.  Microsoft were far too late to the party and had to bring something very nice along.  They brought cheap lager - most of us were already drinking Stella!
    I have to agree @Hiro - and by the looks of it the core MS exec team do not see this as a sure thing, partly in the reason they have approached this in such a slipshod manner (including keeping their flagship console out of the WinMR game).

Obviously, in obtaining such a high number of ex-OVR staffers to make up the ranks of the WinMR project a lot of the previous PC first mindset came over - but after some serious attrition things are pointing more towards a Standalone future.

I was not impressed by the build quality of the majority of the WinMR headsets and controllers (except for the Samsung and LG prototype) - and the tracking did show some major issue, (initially blamed on early build, and now blamed on a raft of excuses).

Acer has just sunk a vast sum into their WinMR investment, with a across the board project plan.

I expect to see Samsung also double down on their WinMR investment - but if the popularity is not there, then they are heading towards a difficult position.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    there is a lot to like about WMR (tho why they didnt put a sensor on the back of the hmd as well - like oculus are doing with theirs - 2 on the front , 2 on the rear iirc) is anyones guess...  but my issue with WMR is.............. MS.

look at the hardware MS have launched recently.... zune, kinect1, kinect 2, windows phone (various iterations) and i am sure there are others i am forgetting........ all of the above are, essentially, dropped.  ok sure, steamVR is a nice insurance, but surely people want direct support for their hardware in the 1st instance, and only use a wrapper as last resort.  (I am making a guess here that steamvr support on windows devices is not full support and is a wrapper like on the rift, but i accept i could be wrong)

as for it not mattering if oculus open their store officially to other hmds..... to each their own but for me, oculus front end for VR stuff is so much nicer i would buy all software that i could on there IF i knew i would not be out in the cold. sure reVIVE is nice and all but i too prefer official support if possible.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited January 2018

“But if the company can only be claimed to be leading the market by attaching the Samsung business to them”

That statement involves intentional misdirection. The topic became a storefront sales comparison. Facebook is leading the VR market due to much more than supporting Samsung VR, and for much more than software alone. Comments regarding GearVR support by Oculus involve the context of StoreFront comparisons, not overall market leadership.

“That said the GVR has done sterling work in popularising VR on attractions - a business that some pundits claimed would never be of any importance and would not work. Now we are seeing Digital Out-of-Home Entertainment (DOE) investment in VR increasing against a changeable consumer VR approach”

Investments are what happens when something is still trying to get off the ground. Those who believed back in 2014 that the OOH industry was not a wise business choice have only been proven right going in to 2018; as there is still no track record of success (only speculation) after 4 years.
    3Jane
    edited January 2018
    I really can't see the WMR lasting long.  Microsoft were far too late to the party and had to bring something very nice along.  They brought cheap lager - most of us were already drinking Stella!
    Stella is cheap pilsner... 

As for WMR.. I haven't really been keeping up with them. I don't like how the headset looks thus not really interested in it xD
    there is a lot to like about WMR (tho why they didnt put a sensor on the back of the hmd as well - like oculus are doing with theirs - 2 on the front , 2 on the rear iirc) is anyones guess...  but my issue with WMR is.............. MS.

look at the hardware MS have launched recently.... zune, kinect1, kinect 2, windows phone (various iterations) and i am sure there are others i am forgetting........ all of the above are, essentially, dropped.

I have exactly the same reservations - after the last set of miss management decisions coming out of MS; I was wondering if it is safe to ever treat them as reliable for development of a market - the same way that I can trust EA to shutter interesting developers!

WinMR is slightly different as its a strategy moving forward that the key manufacturers have to support it with their investment, and MS is using it to try and sell a ecosystem. Looking at the SDK they hand-out to developers its clear they have worked out the best way to manage this "environment".

WinMR was once explained to me as being similar to how OVR worked with Samsung - but in this case rather than just one manufacturer there were many all given the same level of support - and on a agreed platform standard. I just cant feel comfortable this is the case. The Indie passion I saw with the DK1 and DK2 has been stifled by MS - but you could say that is big business for you!

With both Hololens and WinMR(VR) - I see a great opportunity, but in the hands of a corporation that I just cant trust - the same feeling that others get when considering FB.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited January 2018
    Investments are what happens when something is still trying to get off the ground. Those who believed back in 2014 that the OOH industry was not a wise business choice have only been proven right going in to 2018; as there is still no track record of success (only speculation) after 4 years.

Totally agree - as a consultant I have to explain the risks of business to many new entrants now pivoting towards VR arcade business. This is not proven, and I think we will see some major shakeups before this becomes as stable as the other aspects of the DOE industry.

Personally (and not our companies view), I feel that we are looking at a eight year cycle - with the initial hype of VR helping the "want to try it" market represented by the majority of VR Arcades - then we will see a more mainstay business model ala LBE - and then finally we will find a stronger business foundation as the major studios and parks invest in major operations to develop the tech. At that point we will see a levelling of the playing field, and inevitable acquisition and closure.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **

It was around July of this year when I noticed the rise in interests surrounding the full breath of OOH. From movie theaters, to arcade rooms, to amusement parks, and even more niche art experiences (like the Academy Award project with the Rift). I've seen multiple phrases come forth, including Warehouse Scale and Arena Scale.

It's definitely a line of business that is on the rise, and once it does arrive it is likely here to stay for as long as VR itself.

I got close to trying this event here in Texas earlier this year:
    http://www.kens5.com/news/local/six-flags-fiesta-texas-launches-north-americas-first-drop-tower-virtual-reality-ride/432692669

Unfortunately I missed it.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,276
    3Jane
    Atmos73 said:
    It would be interesting if Oculus released some sales figure too but I wont hold my breath.
    You can check the top 10 Oculus Store Winter 2017 flash sales (alphabetical order) : https://www.oculus.com/blog/deals-so-nice-we-made-em-twice-introducing-the-oculus-winter-encore-flash-sale/

• mgstauffmgstauff Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Atmos73 said:
    The top selling VR titles are as follows, organised into tiers by gross revenue but I've added sales figues (not revenue figure) to top middle and bottom titles for comparison.

I'm wondering where you got the sales numbers? Steam Spy, at least now, doesn't give estimates with that much precision that I've seen.