cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Setup: KB2670838 and KB3033929 required, but already installed

paranoidcoder
Explorer
So i'm trying to run the Oculus setup, however, every time I try it will not allow me to continue because i do not have the windows updates KB2670838 and KB3033929, but I do have them installed!

The setup file i grabbed from here:
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/

And I've verified through Windows "Installed updates" that both of those updates are present on my Windows 7 machine.

Against my better judgement, I even went through and uninstalled the windows updates, and installed them again, but this problem still persists!

Help? I've been trying to get this thing to work for the last 6 hours!
82 REPLIES 82

abuzz20
Explorer
Who cares about the reasons. Goddam fix it you incompetent fools

rupsabbott1
Explorer
thre is a way to ignore these: on Win + R run the setup and add /bypassCheckFix - i think thats it: this worked for me 🙂 i had one of the 2 KB's already installed - after installing second and then using this switch no issues experienced at all (note: I'm win7Pro64bit)

DonkyBoY
Protege
Over a year later with many new Oculus updates yet this issue is still not resolved.
SHAME ON YOU Oculus.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Probably should focus your efforts on this as more users have Win7 than anything else your most likely pissing off a lot of people.

Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

SirenCrudmaker
Honored Guest
Used No.11_Darky's version of Cybereality's post. It worked, thanks guys!
C:\OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck (see above)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing worked. 
1. bypassHotfixCheck = FAILED
2. DISM install .cab files = setup = FAILURE! 

Support is basically re writing what you have all tried thus far hoping they can get someone to successfully install thier equipment.
27p8zilduc3r.jpg

PsychoMuffin
Honored Guest
It looks like this thread started in April of 2016, and here it is Nov 2017, and I am having this issue too. I'm not a programmer, but I would think that at some point in the last 19 months, one would have updated the software to check for either this 838 and 929 update ***OR*** this April rollout that includes them. If the April '16 roll out is installed, then 838 and 929 is installed. DONE! I'm going to try these fixes now, but I wish I (and many others) were able to start using this hours ago because an actual programmer couldn't get this fixed anytime in the past 19 months. 

EDIT: Command through command prompt seems to have started the install process, but I shouldn't have had to do it in the first place.

EDIT 2: I got everything working well. The experience was well worth the problems installing it. It is amazing how much depth there is to those environments. However, the payoff is not justification for the problems. I worry about all those not tech-savvy enough to implement the instructions here, let alone if they even find these forum pages. I still hope this can be fixed for all those in the future trying to install, as those still wanting windows 7 will be using the rollout more and more (I am still quite win 8 and 10 adverse). 

Henrik9979
Honored Guest
Steps I'd performed to get it to work:

First use command prompt to check if you have the required updates:
1. Open cmd.exe as administrator.

2. Type: SYSTEMINFO.exe | findstr KB2670838
           example how it should look like if you have the update:

3. I could confirm I already had the KB2670838 update, but could not find the KB3033929 update.

Installation for KB2670838:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Installation for KB3033929:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=46148

4. I tried installing the KB3033929 update but the installation said it already was installed.

5. I oppened cmd.exe again but this time NOT as administrator.

6. My OculusSetup was located on a different drive so I had to type this command:

cd /d I:\Henrik\Downloads\Oculusriftruntime

uq3sl58qco1x.png

7. Then I just typed the hotfix command:

OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck

e8bdaneff0eg.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here we are in January of 2018, with this issue still unresolved. FYI, 'here's a command line work-around' is not 'resolved', which is apparently a memo you idiots need. I can barely believe that a high-tech development company would need such a basic principle explained to them. Where is the actual, real, fix?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well, we know what the issue is. Basically the Oculus setup is working correctly. However in order to check for those hotfixes, we need to use a Microsoft API which *should* exist on all modern Windows operating systems but sometimes does not (for example if your OS install got corrupted, or is really old and not updated, or otherwise not 100% working). Without that API call, we're unable to verify if the hotfixes exist or not and so it fails. We need the check, because if you don't have those hotfixes, the Oculus software won't work and an error message is better than random crashing with no visual indication of what the problem is. So the command-line work around is the solution, for the small number of customers who will encounter this problem. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

anthony_fogg
Honored Guest
@cybereality

Thanks for helping people on here. To offer a suggestion to your issue that you described, why not include a check mark and a double check within the setup GUI saying something to the effect of "I have validated I have theses patches installed and understand if I continue without them installed they will cause me further issues with the Rift software should they not be installed correctly" then let the user proceed?