cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
You are correct I have edited it.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP
As far as getting VR into the hands (onto the heads?) of a billion users, I think GO will be the platform with the biggest install base. It should be adequate for the sort of VR social app that non-gamers might be interested in, at a price-point that won’t scare off non-enthusiasts. 

That doesn’t mean that there won’t be any focus on high-end VR. I expect that CV2 will be the test bed for new tech advances before they’re cost-effective enough to make it into the mid- and low-end offerings. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
My predictions:
1) Microsoft will announce WMR headsets work on Xbox after all.
2) WMR will start grabbing significant market share due to easier setup and superior resolution.
3) The Vive's popularity will continue to diminish.
4) The Rift's price will drop to $300 to maintain dominance and it will work.
5) There will be less paranoia about motion sickness, traditional movement options and games will be more common.
6) We'll see a general improvement in graphical fidelity of VR games.
7) Ubisoft will port something to VR and do a shoddy job.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Kind of makes it immaterial if a CV2 PC high-end has been announced

The computer tech industry proves you wrong as noted by everyone who enters a "billion dollar consumer" industry while also maintaining their primary focus. Google, for example, is primarily a Search Engine (easily considered the best in the world), yet they have entered the realm of Office Tools via Google Docs, and even Hardware (Google Phone).

Microsoft and Apple are all primarily driven by their core business of high-end computing, yet they also have smart phones and tablets... because that is a billion dollar market. Microsoft has consoles too, in case you haven't noticed.

At no point has the new ventures taken by Google, Microsoft, and Apple resulted in any of them abandoning their key objectives. There is no reason to believe that Facebook's desire to enter the low- and mid-range market with GO and SC will cause them to treat the Rift's advancements as "immaterial."

Or perhaps a better example is noting the fact that Nike still makes lots of shoes despite the fact that they also make socks and underwear.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

My predictions:
1) Microsoft will announce WMR headsets work on Xbox after all.
2) WMR will start grabbing significant market share due to easier setup and superior resolution.
3) The Vive's popularity will continue to diminish.
4) The Rift's price will drop to $300 to maintain dominance and it will work.
5) There will be less paranoia about motion sickness, traditional movement options and games will be more common.
6) We'll see a general improvement in graphical fidelity of VR games.

Ah, these are pretty badass predictions, I must admit.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

The have already dev'ed two VR games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjSrBNBJdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKjTj87A8A

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Home PC was implied, not some amusement park attraction. I'm thinking farcry.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I predict that im gonna spend to many money on vr games in 2018 as I just got my rift some 3 weeks ago.
Also gonna predict that I am gonna get several injuries from rushed gameplay moves as im all new to this.

And it will be worth every penny and pain I have to give or take !
Be good, die great !

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Home PC was implied, not some amusement park attraction. I'm thinking farcry.

Eagle Flight and Star Trek VR were both decent efforts from Ubi. Not that that precludes the possibility of a shoddy port cash-in. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, here's my predictions:

1) @vannagirl will continue to try, and fail, to run me over.

2) @Atmos73 and @Zenbane will both get banned a few times this year.

3) Oculus will announce the CV2 during OC5 and it'll be released some time next year.

4) The Pimax will be delayed until March-June and won't flop completely despite being a bit crap.

5) Oculus will continue to release AAA quality games this year, we'll hear about them during Facebook's F8 thingy and Facebook's event around E3.

6) @cybereality will catch up with sending these t-shirts out lol

7) Nakamura's Fall (the best VR game of all time) will be delayed until next year.

😎 The Rift and Touch bundle will have two price cuts - the first before or during the Summer down permanently to $349 And the second before Christmas down permanently to $299.

9) The Knuckles controllers will be released in the Summer and will be $149 for the pair.

And you all heard it here first. B)