cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Sensors not Tracking Anything

BladeOfDismay
Sightseer
I just bought a new Oculus Rift the other day from this site, and it came in today. After plugging everything in and following the instructions, everything turns on and seems to work. However, during setup, when I try to initiate tracking on the controllers, it says the controllers are visible and shows the green dot. I can hold down the trigger until the circle fills all the way up, then I just get met with "Request Timed Out" every single time. The controllers are working and on, as it says they're visible, but won't track them. If I skip that step and go on the the headset setup, it can't track that either. The center is in a different location each time, but never actually tracks the headset, and I can't move on. The controllers visible during this step show the correct rotation axis, which tells me that the sensors are sort of working, but just don't want to track the controllers or the headset. I've tried everything I found online and a few other things that weren't online, none of which have worked. I've been trying to fix this for over 3 hours now and a solution would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Just to be sure, are the sensors oriented correctly? (The glossy end pointing towards you)
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, definitely check that the glossy side is facing you. And you can try a different USB port (USB 2.0 tends to work more reliably). See here for some other guidelines. https://support.oculus.com/1814957818761397/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

BladeOfDismay
Sightseer

Yeah, definitely check that the glossy side is facing you. And you can try a different USB port (USB 2.0 tends to work more reliably). See here for some other guidelines. https://support.oculus.com/1814957818761397/

KNP54 said:

Just to be sure, are the sensors oriented correctly? (The glossy end pointing towards you)

The glossy side has been facing me the whole time, that was one of the first things I checked. Another one of the first things I've tried was moving one to a USB 2.0 port, which also didn't work.

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

> which tells me that the sensors are sort of working, but just don't want to track the controllers or the headset

Hi,

During sensor-test the sensors are shown up as being ok? Maybe the root cause is somewhere else?

(Both?) sensors being broken is very unlikely. Maybe the headset might be the issue here?

Information about button presses and stuff is relied from the controllers through the headset to the PC.

Whatever side effects a badly initialized headset can cause? Try reconnecting the headset to different USB ports. If possible try another PC.

I am suggesting to focus not only on the sensors, but to think in other directions as well.

Other than that I am afraid you'll need a support ticket. Hope you find a solution.

greets

Most PC peripheral problems that I've found difficult to resolve usually ends with me trying the kit on another PC (as @Hornet_F4C suggests), or if I'm lucky, finding someone I know with the same kit and try that on my PC.

Is there anyone else you know with a Rift that you can invite round? If you're in the Peterborough area of the UK (I know it's a long shot) I'd pop round with my sensors no problem.

BladeOfDismay
Sightseer

> which tells me that the sensors are sort of working, but just don't want to track the controllers or the headset

Hi,

During sensor-test the sensors are shown up as being ok? Maybe the root cause is somewhere else?

(Both?) sensors being broken is very unlikely. Maybe the headset might be the issue here?

Information about button presses and stuff is relied from the controllers through the headset to the PC.

Whatever side effects a badly initialized headset can cause? Try reconnecting the headset to different USB ports. If possible try another PC.

I am suggesting to focus not only on the sensors, but to think in other directions as well.

Other than that I am afraid you'll need a support ticket. Hope you find a solution.

greets

The sensors are given an OK in the setup. The headset's output and such seem perfectly fine, but I've tried reconnecting them and trying different ports with the headset, neither of which changed anything.DaftnDirect said:

Most PC peripheral problems that I've found difficult to resolve usually ends with me trying the kit on another PC (as @Hornet_F4C suggests), or if I'm lucky, finding someone I know with the same kit and try that on my PC.

Is there anyone else you know with a Rift that you can invite round? If you're in the Peterborough area of the UK (I know it's a long shot) I'd pop round with my sensors no problem.

Unfortunately I don't have any other PC I could try them on, so I'll have to stick with mine until I can either find a fix or just return the Rift.

seperatez
Explorer
my sensors are showing up in devices it says they are ready to begin tracking but when i go to initiate tracking both sensors are not shown if anyone has any suggestions or remedies im all ears please i just want to get back to no lifing my rift lmao
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?