cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household/Family accounts?

mambo1888
Rising Star
Im just wondering if its possible to create a Family or Household account so that multiple users could play the games purchased on your account but not disrupt your progress or saved games? Ive seen a few people saying that certain games dont have multiple save slots so when they show off games to friends and family they have to pick up from their save game.

It got me thinking if there was a way to link Gamertags within a household you could create multiple users for the family without having to buy the game multiple times, or create a guest sub account so you could show off games to friends without disrupting your progress and allowing them to see whats going on from the start.

The accounts and games could be linked to the one Oculus headset so that you cant buy the game and share it with friends for free but if the accounts are linked you are able to play as long as its on the linked headset.

Not sure if that makes sense or not but it would good to at least be able to log in and then select guest when showing friends and family, then the progress/saves aren't affected.
16 REPLIES 16

Neubauje
Explorer
I'm trying to be a good sport and share my new Rift/Touch/gaming rig with my boyfriend, but we have very different tastes in games, and we keep our finances separate. As such, I've set him up with his own Oculus profile from which to purchase his own games, and he accesses it by switching which profile is logged in on the computer. It works out great, except when he wants to play some of the games I own, like Robo Recall- which somehow came to me for free, but not to him? Even though we're both using the Touch controllers?

Steam has a way to link accounts for family/household members so you can access each other's library... I can stomach needing to download and install two copies of the same game, as ridiculous as that sounds, because I have plenty of storage space for now. But I do NOT think it's fair to have to BUY two copies of the same game to play on the same machine with the same Rift headset, just so two different people can play it.
neubauje.tumblr.com
http://steamcommunity.com/id/neubauje
Elite CMDR Neubauje

Gichanai
Honored Guest
Family/Houdsehold account is a critical feature which is an absolute necessity.  We have a research/development team composed of a dozen people(and need to retain separate computer login accounts), and we are in this situation where we need to purchase the same titles a dozen times each so that we can have coherent conversations among colleagues.  This is an unnecessary expense, and is DEFINITELY A DEALBREAKER unless fixed.  Any suggestions to get around this limitation will be greatly appreciated...

kojack
MVP
MVP

Neubauje said:

like Robo Recall- which somehow came to me for free, but not to him? Even though we're both using the Touch controllers?

Robo Recall, Medium, Quill and some of the other free things lock themselves to the account that was active when the Touch controllers were first configured. If you were logged in then you get them for free. Any other account (even with the same controllers on the same computer) needs to pay for them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer

Gichanai said:

Family/Houdsehold account is a critical feature which is an absolute necessity.  We have a research/development team composed of a dozen people

Commercial use would surely not be covered by a "family/household" agreement anyway. If it's not commercially viable, you need to build a new business plan. You may find discussions directly with Oculus would be fruitful, too.

Skirlock
Explorer
I just bought my first Rift 2 weeks ago. I plugged it into my computer in my Home office where I expected it to stay. My wife tried it and became very interested, so then I moved it to the Game Room. Now this Week I purchased another Rift for my office again. So I too am very interested in how any family plans might work. I will keep my eyes on the forum for future updates

Bardzly
Honored Guest
I would certainly appreciate not having to rebuy games or change accounts every time a different one of my family logs on. We have 2 rifts set up with different accounts and as the games are expensive I would prefer not rebuying just to play them on my rift.

escapppe
Explorer
Just for your info, the same bypass people use to play rift games on vive allows people to play bought rift games on different clients. redit is full of informations to this topic, just use your searchskills. As long as you are the legit owner of one software licence (at least here in germany) you are allowed to share the game on your own clients in your houshold withour fear of beeing accused of piracy.

another tip for you guys who want to show off the rift to their friends without destroying their own savegames:
Games like "The Climb" (most games that don't offer different saveslots) have an cloud savegame storage. Just disconnect from the internet and you will face a game with 0% progress - beware you wont be able to save progress for your friends!