cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback for Oculus: You're losing the market. Do something about it.. like:

Dantac
Protege
Oculus,

Despite having a superior product the oculus is simply not delivering the VR experience to the market. 

Why? Its games library is insignificant compared to the competition and on top of that, most of the oculus games are what in the old days we'd call 'demos' of a full game... aka VERY short and lack replay value. Basically a vertical slice mission of what would be a full game. 

So please Oculus... expand your game library. Stop the 'demo' sales which do not encourage companies to make complete games given profits come to them for what is essentially a tech demo effort/cost. 

Right now I have no way to know if the product on your oculus store is an actual game or a demo. Because of this I simply stopped purchasing games in the oculus store. I'm tired of buying what seems a complete game and it ends up being no more than a single mission or two type games. 

You should strive to only offer in the store games that at MINIMUM are like Robo Recall ... something you play for 40+ hours and has replay value even though its a VR version of a console shooter game (PCs can do so much better). A COMPLETE game would be Elite Dangerous.. while not designed for VR it literally is the poster boy of what VR can achieve as a gaming platform.. Elite Dangerous is simply not worth playing unless its in VR ..thats how BIG a difference VR makes in a game not made for VR. 

Encourage multiplayer games. Encourage complete games. 

Reach out to companies that have games in the market or being developed which can benefit from being able to use VR... Elite Dangerous is a functioning example of it. Why not reach to them and work with them to implement the TOUCH controllers for their game? 

Why not reach to Cloud Imperium Games and deal with them so the game they're developing, Star Citizen AND Squadron42 are Oculus+Touch ready when they launch?

Why not reach out to companies developing sims (racing,flight,space, sailing, etc), first person RPG and strategy games? 

I get that VR games are 'better' when developed FOR VR from the start but you simply DONT have the market nor the studious/publishers interested in it. Build the market by using what is at hand to start the momentum going. 

As it stands now, SADLY, VIVE is defeating Oculus hands down merely because of their HUGE library of games.. FULL games mind you... even if those games are essentially clones of playstation games from the past. 
22 REPLIES 22

https://apprentice.fremantlemedia.com/
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Syrellaris
Rising Star
I must have missed something, but steams library of VR games is about the same size as the Rifts.. There's a few titles on steam which have VR support like Tombraider but they support all headsets.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I must have missed something, but steams library of VR games is about the same size as the Rifts.. There's a few titles on steam which have VR support like Tombraider but they support all headsets.

Well, the OP has a point. What are my favorite VR Games right now?

From Other Suns.
Project Cars 2
IL-2 (ww2 combat sim)
Fallout 4 VR

As you see, most of those are only available on Steam VR. There are also games like Doom 3 BFG VR mod that you can only get on Steam VR. 

Why are Project Cars 2 and IL-2 not available on Oculus Home? 

Also Dash is fantastic but Steam VR Home lets you join other people's rooms and offers more options. 

Oculus has a better HMD and controls. Vive has better tracking solution and better library. Thank 

@Dantac touch controls wouldn't work well with Ellite Dangerous. You would always be better off buying a joystick. And Frontier is totally free to implement that as an option but most VR players are using HOTAS. But I do agree that Oculus should have spent it's money working on porting AAA games rather than creating these short experiences. 

And if you like Elite dangerous buy a cheap HOTAS, you'll be so happy. And try IL-2
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the OP has been viewing Steam instead of the Oculus Store and has got them a bit confused.

From Other Suns? Lone Echo? The Unspoken? Dead & Buried? Edge Of Nowhere? Chronos? Arktika.1? The Mages Tale? Robinson The Journey? Dreadhalls? SuperHOT VR? The Climb? Eve Valkyrie? Technolust? Lucky's Tale? Damaged Core?

All funded by Oculus all full games.

The reason why Steam has more games available than the Oculus Store is because Oculus has a Submission process that games have to pass before being allowed on the Oculus Store. Steam doesn't. At all. They let any old crap on there which is why 98% of the games available are complete turds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

I can only speak in regards to IL-2. When they implemented VR, they only had the time and resources to support Steam's Open VR, which was a wise choice due to that as it would be open to more users.

I would love to see, and have encouraged them to hopefully at some point have native Oculus Home support. I would also love to see the sim offered on the Oculus store, as I am sure it would help growth in sales.
Whether or not they ever will remains to be seen. If not for this sim, I would not even have Steam VR.

You are right though, it is a fantastic combat flight sim and I shudder to think how many hours I have been flying it since they implemented VR support. My most used game, by far.

Dantac
Protege

snowdog said:

I think the OP has been viewing Steam instead of the Oculus Store and has got them a bit confused.

From Other Suns? Lone Echo? The Unspoken? Dead & Buried? Edge Of Nowhere? Chronos? Arktika.1? The Mages Tale? Robinson The Journey? Dreadhalls? SuperHOT VR? The Climb? Eve Valkyrie? Technolust? Lucky's Tale? Damaged Core?

All funded by Oculus all full games.

The reason why Steam has more games available than the Oculus Store is because Oculus has a Submission process that games have to pass before being allowed on the Oculus Store. Steam doesn't. At all. They let any old crap on there which is why 98% of the games available are complete turds.

You have given a very short list compared to what VIVE has and that is my point. They are losing the market not that 'they don't have a single one'. 

Also, this 'submission process' comment .. sorry but I don't see that at all. MOST of the oculus home offered games are short, tech-demos for all purposes, type games. 

Steam has a big library but very few of those support oculus touch (and lets be frank here, supporting VR alone doesn't make it an oculus game.. the Touch support does).

Syrellaris
Rising Star

MowTin said:

Well, the OP has a point. What are my favorite VR Games right now?

From Other Suns.
Project Cars 2
IL-2 (ww2 combat sim)
Fallout 4 VR

As you see, most of those are only available on Steam VR. There are also games like Doom 3 BFG VR mod that you can only get on Steam VR. 

Also Dash is fantastic but Steam VR Home lets you join other people's rooms and offers more options. 

Oculus has a better HMD and controls. Vive has better tracking solution and better library. Thank 

@Dantac touch controls wouldn't work well with Ellite Dangerous. You would always be better off buying a joystick. And Frontier is totally free to implement that as an option but most VR players are using HOTAS. But I do agree that Oculus should have spent it's money working on porting AAA games rather than creating these short experiences. 

And if you like Elite dangerous buy a cheap HOTAS, you'll be so happy. And try IL-2

Fallout 4 VR isn't an actual VR game.. its just a mod for the base version of the game, sold as a re-released game. The reason it isn't on oculus home is simple. Zenimax the parent company behind Bethesda has issues with Facebook / Oculus.

Don't know why PC2 and IL-2 arent on home though, but given that steam is not a dedicated VR platform like Home is, but is an all round game delivery platform, it makes sense they have more games available, even if the most of em arent worth your time.

Also, a lot of games under the VR category in steam only have 1 lvl or a small expansion that is VR enabled and thus aren't actual VR games.

Dantac
Protege
"MowTin said:

And if you like Elite dangerous buy a cheap HOTAS, you'll be so happy"

I do run a full hotas setup in elite D. 

What I meant by oculus touch support is precisely the fact that it doesn't 'work well' with it. It can be made to work well by merely having the touch controller be the mouse pointer that is available in the cockpit as it is in the oculus home screen (hand with laser dot pointer). Flight wise there is no reason the touch controller can't be used as joystick in the same way the brilliant guy that made VTOL VR made the hand controller 'become' the joystick. 

Oculus should be reaching out to established sim-type / 'in the cockpit' type games to have oculus+touch supported. They should be encouraging more complete games (not these silly tech demos sold AS a game) in the oculus home. 

Syrellaris
Rising Star
As I play Elite dangerous myself, I prefer either a Hotas or a xbox controller(i use an xbox controller btw). I feel the Touch controllers or vive wands simply would not be good enough. but that is a personal opinion. Also it is up to the developers on which control methods their games support.