cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project: GPL to Assetto Corsa now with added Tutorial

I posted in another thread about a project I was doing to convert a Grand Prix Legends track (Rouen Les Essarts) into Assetto Corsa so that the old classic could be given a new lease of life and raced in gorgeous virtual reality.

So for anyone who's interested, I'll post updates here. It's very slow going as I'm not spending much time on it. The track surface has to be done from scratch and most of the scenery placed by hand. Anyway if anyone's interested I'll keep at it and maybe put together a tutorial, some of you guys may like to try your hands at converting another track or take over this one! I'm trying to stick with free or cheap software to do the conversion, which means Blender... so you've been warned!!

mfuacgn14ctn.jpg

Just working on the hairpin Virage du Nouveau Monde.

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
That looks great, please keep us updated as you go. 🙂

AGL1
Protege
DaftnDirect,
So you can use old GPL models (cars and tracks) in VR through Assetto Corsa? Or am I being too simplistic?

Hi AGL1, yes, you can convert the cars and tracks from GPL into the Assetto Corsa format (well, it's part conversion, part recreation). Assetto Corsa already has a couple superb cars from that era which are designed to work much better in VR so I'm not considering converting the cars at this point. The car you see in the example is AC's own Lotus 49. Interestingly, this car feels almost identical to drive as the Lotus 49 in GPL. There may also be a way to recreate the GPL race season in AC but I haven't looked into that at all.

I'm really just interested in converting the tracks to give a feel of what GPL would be like if it had a VR update. Whether I get beyond converting one track is another matter.

I've started putting together a rough tutorial so if you're interested, have a look at the software needed to do a conversion which is:

3DSimEd: http://sim-garage.co.uk/ (£30) for extracting and converting the GPL assets into a format that Blender can use (doesn't convert the racetrack surface for copyright reasons)

Blender: https://www.blender.org/ (free) for assembling the assets tidying them up and creating the racetrack surface and any other missing assets.

(or 3DS MAX... only £1644 /year)

ksEditor (part of the Assetto Corsa installation) for converting the Blender output into AC format and adjusting object and material appearances

and obviously you'll also need a copy of Grand Prix Legends!

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
This looks crazy good @DaftnDirect :open_mouth:
Be good, die great !

Nearly there, all the objects are in place, now applying original asphalt & concrete textures to new track surface.

f8mnlmi4z5dx.jpg

LZoltowski
Champion
Wow, that's amazing! When the hell did you start using Blender?!! I have been away for way too long lol
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Good Lord Mr Zoltowski !!!! how the devil are you? yep you & I both.... I popped back a month or 2 back and enjoying Oculus Core 2.0 & the new Home, plus it's too cold outside to do non-VR stuff.. at least until spring.

I started on Blender when my 3D Max trial period finished and it's a bit like pulling teeth for me... it's great once you get the hang of it but surprising how many tutorial vids you have to watch to get stuff done compared other software. Slowly getting to like it though.

Anyway hope you're well my friend & welcome back!

LZoltowski
Champion

Good Lord Mr Zoltowski !!!! how the devil are you? yep you & I both.... I popped back a month or 2 back and enjoying Oculus Core 2.0 & the new Home, plus it's too cold outside to do non-VR stuff.. at least until spring.

I started on Blender when my 3D Max trial period finished and it's a bit like pulling teeth for me... it's great once you get the hang of it but surprising how many tutorial vids you have to watch to get stuff done compared other software. Slowly getting to like it though.

Anyway hope you're well my friend & welcome back!

Im good im good! Good to be back, really started to enjoy VR again. So much has changed! Yes, definitely it being miserable outside helped too! Hope you are well too! Good to be back 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

vannagirl
Consultant
Go go DnD  ❤️

I feel i should post up a cheerleader but i already did this, this week

Really adore passion projects peoples do though
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.