cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What resolution per eye in VR to make it look like a 1080p monitor?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What resolution per eye you would need to make VR look as clear as a 1080p montitor in VR. Thank you!
25 REPLIES 25

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Depends on field of view (FoV). Allegedly the Samsung Odyssey looks more or less like 1080p on a normal sized computer monitor, that headset runs 78% higher resolution than the Rift (1440x1600 vs 1080x1200). Both have roughly equal FoV. If the FoV is bumped higher, more resolution is needed to compensate. Similarly, 1080p looks different depending on how big the screen is. On a giant wall sized TV, 1080p looks low res. You can easily see individual pixels up close. That same resolution on a tiny laptop screen makes the pixels a lot less obvious though, unless looking with a magnifying glass.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Over 9000 of course like the Pimax 😄

Well the hands on reports I've read of the Vive Pro so far say that they're ALMOST there with 1.5K but not quite. 2K should just about do it I reckon.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm starting to wish there was a small bump in Res from Oculus. The wait for a higher resolution headset is taken to long. With other headsets arriving it's making the wait seem even longer

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Just because the monitor* is 1080p means your eyes perceive the same!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Depends on field of view (FoV). Allegedly the Samsung Odyssey looks more or less like 1080p on a normal sized computer monitor, that headset runs 78% higher resolution than the Rift (1440x1600 vs 1080x1200). Both have roughly equal FoV. If the FoV is bumped higher, more resolution is needed to compensate. Similarly, 1080p looks different depending on how big the screen is. On a giant wall sized TV, 1080p looks low res. You can easily see individual pixels up close. That same resolution on a tiny laptop screen makes the pixels a lot less obvious though, unless looking with a magnifying glass.

I have a 135" projector screen and a 1080p projector. I can't see any pixels even I'm inches from the screen. Projectors use a trick to blur the gaps (I think). But you're point is totally true.

What I would love to see is a comparison of Sumsung Odyssey, Vive Pro, PiMax 8k in something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHIsPSzmng
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@MowTin - What resoloutions are vamilla/1k/BestChoice/4k? Well what resolution is 1k & Best Choice?

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

@MowTin - What resoloutions are vamilla/1k/BestChoice/4k? Well what resolution is 1k & Best Choice?

It was a cut paste error. I updated it.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
Resolution depends on magnification power. More magnification power = closer to the thing being looked at = larger pixel size = more identifiable individual pixels.

So by reducing the magnification power you increase the distance the eye sees the pixels at. So theoretically if you have a large display at a large distance from the eye you wouldn't see the individual pixels on the display because the distance reduces the magnification power to the extend you see a clear no screen door picture.

But because the screen size is kept artificially small you need it close to see the size correctly which increases the magnification power and requires complex cpu power and display pixel density. 

if you multiplied the screen size being used now by 1, and also increased the distance the screen is looked at by 2, the magnification would be less on the individual pixels and reduce the screen door effect for the cost of a few ounces in increased weight from the larger screen distance.

Lets do the math. oculus rift screen size = 90 mm × 2, 456 ppi

(90 mm × 2, 456 ppi  Multiplied by 1), viewed at a distance times farther than in the rift = 100 percent less screen door effect = looks more like a 1080p screen.
= 90 mm × (2, 456 ppi * 2) = 90 mm x 4912 ppi

or 

(90 mm × 2, 456 ppi  Multiplied by 1), viewed at a distance 1.5 times farther than in the rift = 50 percent less screen door effect = looks more like a 720p screen.
= 90 mm × (2, 456 ppi * 1.5) = 90 mm x 3684  ppi

Using a different ppi measurement they say the rift has a ppi of 460.
460 * 2 = 920 ppi = 100 percent less sde
460 * 1.5 = 690 ppi = 50 percent sde

So the above was theory, lets look at the picture to see what the vive prop ppi at 615 looks like for sde:
861qn7mj2dgn.png

the pimax 8k ppi is 806, they say you can't see any sde on the pimax 8k.

I think no sde = 720p visual effect.

The vive pro resolution = 50 percent less sde than the rifts if you look at the picture, so my numbers hold true I think, a ppi of 920 would be a bit more than 8k of the pimax 8k but would be 2 times less sde than the vive pro is, 920 ppi = 1080p resolution = 9k maybe.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
(90 mm × 2, 456 ppi  Multiplied by 2), viewed at a distance times farther than in the rift = 100 percent less screen door effect = looks more like a 1080p screen.
= (90 mm  * 2) × 2, 456 ppi = 180 mm x 2456 ppi viewed 2 times distance = reduced pixel magnification = less sde to mimic a 9k screen for the cost of a much larger headset that weighs a bit more.