cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer_x64.exe Network Usage

oVexlz
Honored Guest
Recently in the middle of playing a competitive Overwatch match, my ping skyrocketed. It turns out that despite the oculus hardware not even being connected at the time, OVRServer_x64.exe had begun running in the background and using up large amounts of network capacity. This made playing an online game unbearable. I normally keep around 50 ping, it was at 500. So, once I had understood the cause I killed OVRServer_x64.exe (I was in a competitive match and couldn't leave in order to wait it out) and kept playing. OVRServer_x64.exe restarted itself and resumed the download. I had to continually kill it until the match was over. It might be my fault for having automatic app updates turned on, but regardless, the oculus software wasn't even running. I had not started it. If I kill the program it should not automatically restart and resume. If anyone has opinions to offer on this please do.
10 REPLIES 10

oVexlz
Honored Guest
After looking at it a bit more, it was updating VR Sports Challenge.

tjitah
Explorer
I would also like to know the answer to this, as I too switched on my computer today and had my whole bandwidth hogged by this OVRServer_x64 download for almost half an hour, despite not having any Oculus programs running and not even having any Oculus hardware connected. This is the kind of cyber-bullying from Facebook which will make me abandon Oculus and look at alternatives when upgrading in the future!

rferko
Honored Guest
I have had this problem over a dozen times. When I'm playing league of legends, I'll be fine but 2/3 through a random game without warning the ping jumps to 500+ms. I have to ctrl+shift+esc to bring up task manager and kill it. unfortunately, sometimes it wont stay dead and I have to wait for oculus home to load and then kill whatever is updating while hoping my team doesn't throw the game during this process. 

Richooal
Consultant
Steam and Origin also download in the background.
In Oculus home you can disable automatic downloads and / or limit bandwidth usage.

Personally I prefer to use Netlimiter to monitor and limit downloads and uploads for any program. Each PC in my house runs a copy, so downloading can be limited when someone else (maybe me) is playing online.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

kitsunebutton
Honored Guest
If you use windows OS, you start task manager and open service tab, then stop or disable 'OVRService'.

Richooal
Consultant

If you use windows OS, you start task manager and open service tab, then stop or disable 'OVRService'.

In the 2 years and 7 months since the last post, I'm sure they figured it out. But thanks anyway. 😉
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

vincelord
Honored Guest

it's still a problem. for me especially noticable, since I am only having about 10Mbps and ovrserver is eating up all of it. I used netlimiter to limit it to 5kb though. I think netlimiter should be an integrated part of windows 10, because of all these background updates these days... without it I could not survive!!

It just restarts itself whenever you close it in TM. Not a solution,

Steam and Origin font force themselves back on to download things, not the same thing. If you close Steam or Origin, they stay closed.