cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

Iriodus
Explorer
@Atmos73

You know, I had entirely forgotten about that headset, as it didn't seem to be going anywhere, but despite my aforementioned gripe with Razor products I'd like to actually see this prediction come to pass.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Iriodus said:

@Atmos73

You know, I had entirely forgotten about that headset, as it didn't seem to be going anywhere, but despite my aforementioned gripe with Razor products I'd like to actually see this prediction come to pass.

akpsz2r1ohnm.png
No @Iriodus - there are a lot of OSVR's out there - but mainly in our sector.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

deep_b_jani
Honored Guest
amazing

eloquencemotion
Explorer
A prediction....we will continue to discuss future hardware while the current hardware has no real killer apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A prediction....we will continue to discuss future hardware while the current hardware has no real killer apps.

This generation of HMDs have several killer apps:

Elite Dangerous
DCS World
Echo Arena
Lone Echo
Project Cars
DiRT Rally
Onward

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Elite Dangerous
DCS World
Echo Arena
Lone Echo
Project Cars
DiRT Rally
Onward

I would add IL-2 by 1CGS to that list as well. It has great VR support and I have logged no telling how many hours in it already. I fly it almost daily.

vannagirl
Consultant
Yes Il-2 is a killer app if you sim and put the time into this

I own all the dlc now it is such a thrill in VR i always get a larger amount of immersion then most titles. Dogfighting is amazing i always end a sortie feeling i actually did

No killer app though.....mmmmm seems so dec 2015 now
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I like it better when my apps don't kill me.

har har

nrosko
Superstar

snowdog said:

Elite Dangerous
DCS World
Echo Arena
Lone Echo
Project Cars
DiRT Rally
Onward

Many of these games are really for sim enthusiasts & to get the best out of them you should really using the right gear IMO. So yeah sims work really well in VR but they are not the most accessible genre. Lone Echo was decent but as a game it was pretty boring at times requiring you to do menial repetitive tasks. Echo Arena is great but again not so accessible to those  that approach it on a casual basis. I think Onward is similar but has a better community & at least the beginner can practice against Ai. If onward had the polish of Lone Echo then maybe we would have a killer app. Aren't the Lone echo guys working on a FPS? This would potentially be it if so.   
But for now i agree with eloquencemotion23  the made for VR games are still lacking they are maybe 80% killer apps & is just gonna take much more time imo before our minds are blown. 

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Atmos73 said:

Razor have already had a crack at it. But like early Pimax headsets it’s wasnt Lighthouse compatible. 

jyp2q3irewez.jpeg

Considering how bad their mice and headphones have become I wont go anywhere near anything Razor.
WAAAGH!