cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65

Zellfreid
Explorer
I used my Oculus Rift a few days ago without issues, but I recently downloaded the new Nvidia Driver. Now the screen won't turn on, and the indicator light that should turn white when functioning stays orange. I tried restarting my computer, and the headset screen still won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not reverted drivers yet, but I will return and respond after I do. In the meantime, please let me know if anyone else has the same problem.

UPDATE Jan 14: Confirmed: Rift works fine with Nvidia Driver 388.59. Others say a clean reinstall of current drivers works, too, but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that.

UPDATE Feb 11: If experiencing intermittent black screen between working sessions try in the Oculus App: Settings > Beta > Restart Oculus
84 REPLIES 84

cybereality
Grand Champion
You may also want to reinstall the latest Nvidia driver. Either with a clean install or using DDU to remove the current drivers first. It's possible that the Nvidia driver itself is fine and that something with the upgrade has caused an issue. If you've already downgraded drivers, it would help us to know if you run the clean install of the latest Nvidia driver if that solves the problem. Please let me know. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've been reading a few of comments on Reddit about the latest driver causing issues with multiple monitors (second monitor going black, needing a reboot to fix), and that could possibly translate to Rift issues. I think I'm going to clean install the older version again, and do
a little testing with it to see if the problem manifests itself. If I don't see issues on the older driver after a bit of testing, I'll try a clean install of the newest one again and see what happens.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Well, I was hoping that it could be pinned down to the driver, but on first reboot after clean-installing 388.71, I fired up the Oculus app, put on my headset, and got black screens. Restarting the Oculus app didn't fix it, nor did putting on the headset without launching the app first. Restarting the Oculus service through the app worked. I'll test a little more to get an idea how robust it is, but it seems like there's something else at play.

cybereality
Grand Champion
We are still actively investigating this issue, so if anyone is encountering problems on Nvidia, please contact us and provide log files and details so we can work to resolve the problem. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

YoLolo69
Trustee
Mmmm, the reason it still work fine for me with last Nvidia drivers is possibly because I always reboot my computer right before using the Rift (to clean memory, because USB device could have been to sleep and after reboot I use OTT to prevent this, etc.). Mmmm, I'll check.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I didn’t get any further black screen issues with 388.71 over the course of several reboots and cold starts. At the end of the night I clean-installed 390.65 and also ran a repair on my Oculus app. Will test again this evening and see if it’s more stable.

*Edit: same issues with 390.65, first boot after installing, black screens. Rift worked fine after each of several subsequent reboots, so it's still intermittent.  At this point I'm less convinced that it's a video driver issue. I think it may be something related to Oculus 1.22, or Home 2.0 in particular. More testing underway...

CyborgNinjaJesu
Honored Guest
Ok, after reinstalling the latest drivers it seemed to be alright, but today it has failed again, here are the logs after the fail. Unsurprisingly there's a graphics driver crash registered so something, going to forward these files to nVidia as well since it seems an issue hard to repro.

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's a copy of the repro steps I send to NVIDIA

Here are the steps I followed to get the crash:

1 Start the PC
 2 Start Steam
 3 Start Contagion VR Demo 
 4 Play the game, no issues
 5 Finish the game and close it
 6 Play non VR game
 7 Close non VR game
 8 Leave PC idling (2-3h)
 9 Attempt to start Project CARS2 in VR
 10 Rift's screen lights up and works as intended for 20-40 seconds
 11 Window's "device disconnected" sound plays trhough the Rift's headset and the screen stops  working
 12 The audio keeps working but the screen won't turn on.

After crashing I started the Log recorder and fired up Project CARS 2 a second time, the result was the same as described in steps 9 to 12, so that's what the logs will be showing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I see some permissions errors in the logs. Did you maybe install the Oculus setup with Run as Admin? You MUST NOT install Oculus with Run as Admin. If so, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall Oculus normally.

pidge916
Explorer
Hello my name is Manuel Guzman from NVIDIA.  I recieved a copy of logs from users and forwarded it to our VR team.  Can users share what monitor(s) you have connected to your graphics card and how they are connected (DP, HDMI, etc.)?  Also are you connecting your Rift through a normal HDMI cable or are you going from DisplayPort to HDMI?  Thank you.  

profanicus
Honored Guest

pidge916 said:

Hello my name is Manuel Guzman from NVIDIA.  I recieved a copy of logs from users and forwarded it to our VR team.  Can users share what monitor(s) you have connected to your graphics card and how they are connected (DP, HDMI, etc.)?  Also are you connecting your Rift through a normal HDMI cable or are you going from DisplayPort to HDMI?  Thank you.  

I've sent an email with logs and info as instructed.
I am having the same issue with 390.65 as described by others here. The issue seems to manifest after the system has been idling for some time.
Rolling back to 388.71 fixed it for me. A 'clean install' of 390.77 breaks it again. 🙂