cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Temperature Rise - High usage during Home browser use only and not being reported by Windows

There was a recent thread regarding GPU fan speed whilst playing games but this one is different....

After openning the Oculus desktop app (Core 2.0) GPU temp is rising from an ambient 37 deg to 65 wihtin 2 mins with no VR app being run.

Weirder still is that task manager is reporting no GPU use (well less than 1%), closing the desktop app returns temp to normal.

I've been running the latest nVidia 390.65 for 2 weeks and this has only just started happening so I don't think the driver is the culprit. Anyone else having this issue?

*Thread title edited to better describe problem.

55 REPLIES 55

mmm well all info is welcome & thanks for the test LZ, as is usually the case, it may be a combination of things. I want to sound genuine when I say I'm glad you don't have this issue... what is it about us that we gain comfort in shared problems!

LZoltowski
Champion
Im dreading for something to go wrong, out of curiosity, are you on the public test channel? 1.23 fixed a small random stutter issue i was having.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

I am indeed but I haven't checked what version I have, noticed an update today but my issue was already happening.
Yesterday I mean, damn is that the time

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
To change this setting, with your mouse, right-click over the Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel" -> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column -> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "adaptive". apply, reboot

I'm not using the beta and my temperature with oculus open on my desktop is 38 around where it always is.

LZoltowski
Champion

To change this setting, with your mouse, right-click over the Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel" -> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column -> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "adaptive". apply, reboot

I'm not using the beta and my temperature with oculus open on my desktop is 38 around where it always is.

Mine is Max Performance and still no temp increase .. so not sure that's the case.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
When I set mine to max performance I get a temperature in the 50's doing nothing. Must be your fancy water cooler.

Setting power management will have an effect on temps in some circumstances but I don't think this is related to that. It's more of an issue specific to the virtual monitor and whether the Oculus desktop app is using it even when the headset isn't worn.

It seems like my VR Home is being processed even when it isn't displayed.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
This reminds me of the time I muted my speakers using windows, went to a website, and it turned the speakers on and began blaring voice. Maybe a SW turned on your rift to use the mic and or camera to spy on you. Maybe a peeping tom online watching you. Maybe a stalker. From Korea none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJLUDIpRWQ

OK tested a few things:

System Restore to 7 days ago didn't solve the problem so I'm ruling out non-Oculus software installations causing the problem.

Reverting to successivly older nVidia drivers didn't solve the problem. I tried 388.71, 388.59, 388.43 & 388.31 and tbh I think I would have noticed the problem before if it been down to drivers from as far back as November.

So what's left? has there been a recent firmware update to the headset does anyone know? I haven't been tracking those updates so not sure when the last one was but mine is currently 708/34a904e8da.

I can confirm that unplugging the headset's HDMI disables the vitual monitor and returns GPU temps to normal even when the Oculus desktop app is running. So my next question is... did the virtual monitor always become active in Windows when the Oculus desktop app started... or did it used to just become active when the headset was put on?

(when I say always.. of course I mean since Core 2.0 released!)

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think the virtual monitor has been always-active when the app launches from the release of 1.21. I can tell when it opens because everything on the desktop (on my monitor) shifts about 12 pixels down. When the virtual monitor closes, my icons all move back up. I’m pretty sure I’ve been noticing that from the start of Home 2.0. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo