cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Temperature Rise - High usage during Home browser use only and not being reported by Windows

There was a recent thread regarding GPU fan speed whilst playing games but this one is different....

After openning the Oculus desktop app (Core 2.0) GPU temp is rising from an ambient 37 deg to 65 wihtin 2 mins with no VR app being run.

Weirder still is that task manager is reporting no GPU use (well less than 1%), closing the desktop app returns temp to normal.

I've been running the latest nVidia 390.65 for 2 weeks and this has only just started happening so I don't think the driver is the culprit. Anyone else having this issue?

*Thread title edited to better describe problem.

55 REPLIES 55

LZoltowski
Champion

nalex66 said:

I think the virtual monitor has been always-active when the app launches from the release of 1.21. I can tell when it opens because everything on the desktop (on my monitor) shifts about 12 pixels down. When the virtual monitor closes, my icons all move back up. I’m pretty sure I’ve been noticing that from the start of Home 2.0. 

You are correct, for me the screen goes blank for a split second and all the icons shift.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

nalex66 said:

I think the virtual monitor has been always-active when the app launches from the release of 1.21. I can tell when it opens because everything on the desktop (on my monitor) shifts about 12 pixels down. When the virtual monitor closes, my icons all move back up. I’m pretty sure I’ve been noticing that from the start of Home 2.0. 

Yep, I tend to start questioning everthing when there's a problem but I think you're right.

I can download the pre 2.0 stuff (1.20 and older) but can't find 1.21 to download & test, is it available?

Syrellaris
Rising Star
It might be related to the latest update in the beta software. I noticed for example that whenever i open the oculus app now, that my system hangs for a second, screen goes black and then comes back with  the app being open. It only does this on the oculus app for me and only since the latest update.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

Yep, I tend to start questioning everthing when there's a problem but I think you're right.

I can download the pre 2.0 stuff (1.20 and older) but can't find 1.21 to download & test, is it available?

1.21 was only beta, so it may not be possible to get it now. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

mmm I may be stuck with it for the time being then. Don't really want to go back to the old Home environment... not after getting a superb suit of armour put on display.

Will just have to remember to close the app when not using the headset @LZoltowski, when you have a minute, can you check your headset firmware version? cheers

LZoltowski
Champion
@DaftnDirect

6fquxnpqxz9j.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

YoLolo69
Trustee
I can see this behavior from the start I beta tested Dash and Core 2.0. I always see my GPU frequency raising thanks to monitoring when Oculus Home Desktop open (and after the infamous flash and slight shift of my icons and centering of my mouse when the extra virtual monitor is created). It stay like that until I close it. I'm now on recommended Cybereality 388,71 NVidia drivers coming from latest one (changed yesterday). I imagine you're right and it's linked to this virtual monitor (and possibly Dash running anyway in background when we don't were headset yet).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

nalex66
MVP
MVP

mmm I may be stuck with it for the time being then. Don't really want to go back to the old Home environment... not after getting a superb suit of armour put on display.

Yeah, my new issues (occasional black screens and infrequent hard reboots) seem to go away with Classic Home, but I can't go back after having Home 2.0 and Dash.

I'm hopeful that the bright minds at Oculus and Nvidia will resolve these teething pains and find a way to make Home work more smoothly. Meanwhile, restarting the Oculus service fixes the screens when they don't light up, and not running the app when I'm not using VR takes care of the rest.

@nalex66, I'll add a bug report to the uservoice site... hope they don't priorities based just on votes received there as most seem to be about the gaurdian system for some reason! well not the end of the world.

@Yololo69, yep I'm convinced that's what's happening and it bothers me in this case because Windows reports no GPU use for the virtual monitor (unless the headset is active), so some people may have the problem without knowing about it.

Thanks for the confirmation @LZoltowski, same firmware so I'm out of ideas. This is going to have to be one of those wait & see problems. Don't like those.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

@nalex66, I'll add a bug report to the uservoice site... hope they don't priorities based just on votes received there as most seem to be about the gaurdian system for some reason! well not the end of the world.

When 1.21 came out, there was a messed up setting for Guardian causing it to trigger at a much greater distance than before. That led to a rash of complaints and feedback on UserVoice, but it was fixed in 1.22.