cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45 FPS Problem in some games

RedLeader42
Protege
I initially chimed in on another thread regarding FPS problems in Robo Recall but I am realizing it isn't just that game. I'm having this in other games as well such as The Climb and Bending the Light. I'm using Oculus Tray Tool to confirm the FPS and performance headroom. In-game there is visible stuttering while moving around or even just watching moving objects. FPS is reported steady at 45 with negative headroom. Windows reports the process using around 32% GPU usage and 20% CPU. The system is a new MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. I've tried some suggestions like turning off ASW Mode to no effect, updating drivers, etc. I'm running GeForce drivers v390.65. The only thing I've found that helps (tested in Robo Recall) is if the game can be windowed and then minimized on the computer screen, the FPS immediately camps out at 90 FPS with 30-50% headroom.Other games or environments such as the new Oculus Home, Job Simulator, Echo Arena and Star Trek Bridge Crew all run steadily at 90 FPS with no less than 20% headroom. I'm unsure what changed but I can say when I first got the system all the games seemed to run flawlessly.

Is this a known issue, as I've seen other people reporting similar problems? Is there any resolution? Not only for myself, but I want to have some friends over to blow their minds and would like the experience to be excellent like it was previously.
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM
108 REPLIES 108

RedLeader42
Protege
Okay here's the report: Updated to 390.65 drivers and so far as I can tell they're still smoking fast. The Rift as a second monitor did not re-appear and is still AWOL. As long as I run everything on the GTX 1070 outputs the experience is as excellent as one would expect regardless of what apps are running on the desktop or behind the game window. Here are some screen shots:
Legend
  • GPU 0 = Intel HD 630
  • GPU 1 = NVIDIA GTX 1070 (notebook)
  • (Please ignore util %, as I was not in game)
Process running while using laptop display
ygm37c0adhqu.png

GeForce Control panel while running on laptop display
tdmd7zyw2l8l.png

Processes while running on external monitor, laptop display disabled
qixqi94bzqp2.png

GeForce Control Panel while running on external monitor
Note there is no NVIDIA display for the Rift.
aji5hlvguo4p.png

I am going to report back to support on my comments here and see what they think about the fact if I use a monitor that utilizes the on-board Intel that the Oculus Rift performance goes to #*&$^.
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM

LZoltowski
Champion
So it boils down not to drivers .. but the Intel / Nvidia chipset implementation .. something Oculus and Nvidia needs to keep in mind in a future build. Perhaps disabling Intel chipset when the HMD is being put on and only going via Nvidia at this point ...  man what journey!.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

JJcourage
Explorer
Wow! This surely is music to my ears (or VR smoothness for the eyes, ha! 😄 ). Thank you (all) here. It makes a lot of sense. Sorry I can't test today as I don't think I have a mini-DP->HDMI adaptor, but ordering one, if I can't find one in my "serpentine bin of cabling".
1. I also have just that one '3D settings' tab in the Nvidia Control panel (and never seen any other tabs, so never knew they could exist).
2. I have always plugged my Rift's HDMI into the rear HDMI port on the Alienware R3 13 laptop (and, as said, doing this on the laptop's original installation (385.14 drivers) this did work buttery smooth, for the one week early last Dec.).
Next to that port, there is a mini-DP female out which I will now give a try to.
3. FWIW, I've always used DDU between Nvidia driver installs (and I've done so many I've lost count 😕 ).

LZoltowski, your latest post is most likely the best summary. In a quick reply to that - if true, it is even more crazy that when you are in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings (the only tab I have, like Rleader42, as said), and you are forcing all the relevant programs to use _just_ the GTX 1060, that it wouldn't completely cut out the Intel HD 630. Yes, really hope Nvidia can liaise with Oculus and pinpoint the problem.

My experience of 385.14 (Dell A09 version) -> 388.xx+ bringing into play the stutters i.e. is this introducing some funny code (if that's the case), again, it is maddening that post-DDU cleaning, when even reinstalling those 385.14 drivers, hasn't solved the stutters. (Is there some Intel HD 630 <-> GTX 1060 GPU driver code that _isn't_ removed by DDU?).

Indeed, this is a journey - I'll get back to this thread and let you know how I get on (but it may be some days, but I will report). Thanks again - right now there is hope.

EDIT:
a) In my Settings -> Gaming. I had Record clips/Game Bar set to ON. This I have now turned off. I'll try the effects of this first. I'd never even been into this setting, ever. I have also switched OFF everything that was in any way set to on, in all the tabs available in the Settings -> Gaming section. This was various audio options, and so on.
b) Sorry... I am a little confused at this stage, as I don't want to lose the use of the Laptop's panel and portability, i.e.  start to carry around an external display monitor - this would totally remove the point for me and using the Rift for demonstration purposes (to others) while keeping it all portable (in one large backpack).
Mmm. Just for testing purposes, how can I even disable the onboard OLED panel? And then enable it again, without possible serious confusion arising (if I didn't have any external monitor to spare). The R3 13's F7 I/D GFX button is disabled by Dell (the message pops up "Not supported with OLED LCD panel" when you attempt to use F7 - heck, even that message is total rubbish; OLED LCD panel is nonsense of course).
As I thought initially, can the Rift headset now get plugged into the mini-DP port, instead of the HDMI? And would that change anything at all. Can the OLED panel be driven by the GTX 1060 alone? etc. It still sounds like I'm heading towards a world of pain at the mo.
Alienware R3 13 OLED notebook | GTX 1060 6 GB (Intel 630 HD igfx) | Core i7-7700HQ | 512 | 16 GB RAM
Rift worked perfectly (no stutters) until early Dec 2017, then stuttered until May 2018 (gave up using it). Since May '18, what worked = use DDU to force remove all Nvidia GPU drivers, reinstall all Dell official ones, followed by (to present) 411.70. On Oculus Home 1.33. All works fine.

RedLeader42
Protege
I just learned something else. While swapping out external monitors the Rift popped back in as a second monitor in Windows. I didn't do any testing with that because then the external monitor couldn't be detected. :disappointed:
It's probably a hardware limitation that the HDMI and mini displayport can't be detected at the same time - only one can used by Windows. I had to:
  1. Disconnect both the Rift HDMI and mini displayport
  2. Connect the external monitor via mini displayport so it was detected in Windows and turned on
  3. Reconnect the Rift HDMI
  4. Restart Oculus Services from the Oculus Client Beta menu
Everything came back up and ran excellently again, but Oculus is not a third monitor detected by Windows. I'm completely fine with that so long as I get this kind of performance.

RedLeader42
Protege

JJcourage said:
b) Sorry... I am a little confused at this stage, as I don't want to lose the use of the Laptop's panel and portability, i.e.  start to carry around an external display monitor - this would totally remove the point for me and using the Rift for demonstration purposes (to others) while keeping it all portable (in one large backpack).
Mmm. Just for testing purposes, how can I even disable the onboard OLED panel? And then enable it again, without possible serious confusion arising (if I didn't have any external monitor to spare). The R3 13's F7 I/D GFX button is disabled by Dell (the message pops up "Not supported with OLED LCD panel" when you attempt to use F7 - heck, even that message is total rubbish; OLED LCD panel is nonsense of course).
As I thought initially, can the Rift headset now get plugged into the mini-DP port, instead of the HDMI? And would that change anything at all. Can the OLED panel be driven by the GTX 1060 alone? etc. It still sounds like I'm heading towards a world of pain at the mo.

JJcourage, I only needed to disable the laptop screen in Windows 10. You can do this by searching for Change Display Settings, then under Multiple Displays choose Show only on 2 (assuming 2 is your external monitor and you laptop is 1; you can use Identify at the top of this dialog to identify them.)
roowkfg8wg16.png

As soon as you disconnect the external monitor your laptop screen will pop back on, so you could then take it and play it anywhere - but I can't speak to the game performance you'll get. My laptop is so far dedicated to the Rift, so it would be interesting to hear how your mobile gaming performs.

In regard to plugging the Rift into the mini displayport - probobly not, but it would be an interesting experiment. My guess is the HDMI is still best suited to VR. The problem I've apparently discovered has more to do with Intel / NVIDIA not playing together nicely. Complete speculation on my part, but it could be because a recent Intel driver now supports the Windows Mixed Reality headset.

JJcourage
Explorer
“FIXED”! Or, rather, a workaround! I can confirm the above works for me too. GREAT! First time in 2 months all OK no stutters, and first time Tomb Raider is perfect. All looks good in first 10 min of tests.
 🙂 
RedLeader42, Thanks a lot for the above 2 posts, made life easy. I followed all, and they are a match for me.
I found a mini-Display Port to full-size Display Port dongle in my ‘collection’ of adapters and connected to an external monitor, “disabling the OLED laptop panel/Intel igfx” was the fix.
I’m calling it a workaround as clearly I don’t want to carry around a monitor to get flawless Rift performance. Hopefully Nvidia will spot this with Oculus - I will report this to them.
Thanks to all here! Time for a beer...
Alienware R3 13 OLED notebook | GTX 1060 6 GB (Intel 630 HD igfx) | Core i7-7700HQ | 512 | 16 GB RAM
Rift worked perfectly (no stutters) until early Dec 2017, then stuttered until May 2018 (gave up using it). Since May '18, what worked = use DDU to force remove all Nvidia GPU drivers, reinstall all Dell official ones, followed by (to present) 411.70. On Oculus Home 1.33. All works fine.

RedLeader42
Protege
JJcourage, woohoo! Glad to hear it worked! If this is a problem for many people, hopefully they find this and start reporting it as well. Hopefully we'll see this fixed in the near future.

JJcourage
Explorer
RedLeader42, B)

Confirming: Tomb Raider, maxed out graphics settings, also Robo Recall, max settings, GTX 1060, it’s all smooth as a peach! There are just 1 or 2 momentary stutters on entering the gameplay, but these I feel are ‘standard’ as the Rift is handshaking with the GTX hardware [somehow the onboard Intel HD 630 must keep interrupting this handshake when some form of Advanced Graphics (e.g. reflections(?)) is being requested. Who knows.]

I have seen on other internet searches that there are reports of people “fixing stutters” using a DP dongle, who have the older GTX 970 cards, but given what I had assumed, like you, that we have a relative “lack of ports” on a laptop, I hadn’t made the connection that the miniDP port we have would be a GTX-only output “fix” - why would we?

Yes, hope Nvidia <-> Oculus can get together and figure out what is causing this onboard (CPU) igfx <-> GTX mismatch. I can’t do any more tests for a day or so, but I’ll drop another comment here if some other bizarre glitches appear.

Now I am going to buy a miniDP to DP cable which is thin at the plugging-in point, and probably a miniDP to HDMI cable as well (the wedge-like miniDP->DP dongle I have found is putting too much off centre vertical pressure on its port as it is too thick for the R3’s chassis, typical, so I am propping up the back of the laptop with a small book at the moment, oops) so at least I can use the Rift until a driver update, and not forced to have an external monitor hooked up to get smooth performance.

RedLeader42
Protege
That made me think to mention that I am this mini displayport to DVI dongle, but I would think any converter should work as they are all passive converters.

LZoltowski
Champion

JJcourage said:

RedLeader42, B)

Confirming: Tomb Raider, maxed out graphics settings, also Robo Recall, max settings, GTX 1060, it’s all smooth as a peach! There are just 1 or 2 momentary stutters on entering the gameplay, but these I feel are ‘standard’ as the Rift is handshaking with the GTX hardware [somehow the onboard Intel HD 630 must keep interrupting this handshake when some form of Advanced Graphics (e.g. reflections(?)) is being requested. Who knows.]

I have seen on other internet searches that there are reports of people “fixing stutters” using a DP dongle, who have the older GTX 970 cards, but given what I had assumed, like you, that we have a relative “lack of ports” on a laptop, I hadn’t made the connection that the miniDP port we have would be a GTX-only output “fix” - why would we?

Yes, hope Nvidia <-> Oculus can get together and figure out what is causing this onboard (CPU) igfx <-> GTX mismatch. I can’t do any more tests for a day or so, but I’ll drop another comment here if some other bizarre glitches appear.

Now I am going to buy a miniDP to DP cable which is thin at the plugging-in point, and probably a miniDP to HDMI cable as well (the wedge-like miniDP->DP dongle I have found is putting too much off centre vertical pressure on its port as it is too thick for the R3’s chassis, typical, so I am propping up the back of the laptop with a small book at the moment, oops) so at least I can use the Rift until a driver update, and not forced to have an external monitor hooked up to get smooth performance.

A small stutter/glitch at the start of the game happens all the time, that's because the game is loading assets into memory and taxing the system, it's completely natural.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?