New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Oculous Rift is lagging

2»

Comments

  • escapppeescapppe Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    i have a fresh install of windows 10 on an older PC - i5 2500K (4,6) - GTX 1060 3GB - just two USB 3ports - 12GB Ram.
    After some ugly driver problems with my motherboard (ASRock) i've got everything running very smoothly.
    The Climb and Robo Recall run decently on lower settings and are very entertaining.

    Just some reminder for everyone running into problems:
    - even when Oculus Home says its okay to use a sensor or the HMD on USB 2, it's not. Everything gets shaky and stuttering - you thing you have low fps but its the poor movement transmition that lets your screen stutter!
    - watch for warnings on the devicetab on your screen as long as someone else is playing - Warnings always tell you something is not working right on your system.
    - keep your drivers up to date - not only GPU, even USB, chipset and sound driver are very important
    - don't use Oculus Home 2.0 on a lowend PC - don't even try the Beta - It eats up around 25% of your CPU during games even when there is nothing used. Don't even try to pin any window in dash, it just takes to much power and leaves you with a shaky experience
    - don't run SteamVR when playing Oculus games don't use Oculus Home running Steam Games
    - close every application before playing. Especially anti virus software can lead to problems.

  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    Hiro is quite correct.  The more the merrier.
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    ok then.  You may want to consider the video I linked to above then and grab that exact model startech card as well then.

    A 1080Ti.....boy am I jealous now. 
     ;) 
    Digikid1 said:

    ps. fuck the oculus rift what a joke :disappointed:
    and yet here you are in an OCULUS FORUM.  If you have a problem with the Rift that's fine but please don't ruin it for others....especially when your post is too vague and to be honest, not helpful whatsoever.  Your issues is just that....YOUR issue.  So I suggest that you take your "issue" up with Oculus Support since that is what they are there for.

    Now as for the topic at hand....to the OP of this thread......have you found any other information that will help us out?
    I am bringing back my old PC with a 1060 video card and buying a new PC with 1080 ti video card and I’ll post if it works or not on this thread.  It should be here by Thursday, I have also bought another sensor.  So whatever the problem was should be solved. The only problem I may run into is not enough usb 3.0 slots.  

    Just order the expansion card ready.  Ignoring the Rift, more usb slots are always handy.
    How do I install the expansion card?  Are all PC systems able to have this added?
    Here is the exact computer just in case.  
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    That's a VERY nice pc.  Enjoy it.

    You just simply took off the glass side ( BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT ) and remove one of the corresponding back slot plates. Plug the card into a PCI Express slot that is the same size as the card.  Screw it into the back slot plate you just removed and then turn on your PC.  Windows 10 should do the rest by itself but it is ALWAYS a better choice to get the newest drivers from the card manufacturers website.
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    That's a VERY nice pc.  Enjoy it.

    You just simply took off the glass side ( BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT ) and remove one of the corresponding back slot plates. Plug the card into a PCI Express slot that is the same size as the card.  Screw it into the back slot plate you just removed and then turn on your PC.  Windows 10 should do the rest by itself but it is ALWAYS a better choice to get the newest drivers from the card manufacturers website.
    Which expansion card do u recommend, inateck or startech? 
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    $80?  :'( Is that the only option? If you had 4 sensors and a headset, wouldn't you need a 5 slot not 4.  And an extra(total of 6 slots) to plug in a splitter to have a mouse and keyboard on your PC.  
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    Oh and your motherboard will have more than enough for your keyboard/mouse/printer. Just the the addon card for your rift and sensor setup ONLY. 
  • jarick101jarick101 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    well i got the inateck card an its working very well, my gpu is a 1060 with 6 gb, and i don't have no issues with my rift and all my games play well, by the way i built my pc  :) 
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    Oh and your motherboard will have more than enough for your keyboard/mouse/printer. Just the the addon card for your rift and sensor setup ONLY. 
    Thank you so much for your help! :)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    jarick101 said:
    You do realize that’s the exact same one I linked to above right?
  • jarick101jarick101 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Digikid1 said:
    jarick101 said:
    You do realize that’s the exact same one I linked to above right?
    oh, sorry lol i didn't see it  ;)
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    Yup....sry 1060.  Typo.  LOL!!!!!  However even a 1060 will do just fine.  I have sold a few VR ready systems with the 6GB 1060 and it works just fine.  Even a 1050Ti 4GB works fine for 95% of the games out there for VR.

    Yeah, well he said it was working fine so no reason it shouldn't continue to.  Needs to identify the issue and fix it.

    After that then yeah, by all means upgrade - a 3GB 1060 is low end for the Rift.
    What should I get then?  Are new graphics cards pricey or should I just bring back my new pc and get one with a better graphics card.  

    Well that really is up to you.  You could ask the vendor if you could just exchange the card.  It depends how much you can afford.  I recommend reading up more on the forum about cards while you fix your main issue.
    So my main issue is not having enough usb ports?
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    ok then.  You may want to consider the video I linked to above then and grab that exact model startech card as well then.

    A 1080Ti.....boy am I jealous now. 
     ;) 
    Digikid1 said:

    ps. fuck the oculus rift what a joke :disappointed:
    and yet here you are in an OCULUS FORUM.  If you have a problem with the Rift that's fine but please don't ruin it for others....especially when your post is too vague and to be honest, not helpful whatsoever.  Your issues is just that....YOUR issue.  So I suggest that you take your "issue" up with Oculus Support since that is what they are there for.

    Now as for the topic at hand....to the OP of this thread......have you found any other information that will help us out?
    I am bringing back my old PC with a 1060 video card and buying a new PC with 1080 ti video card and I’ll post if it works or not on this thread.  It should be here by Thursday, I have also bought another sensor.  So whatever the problem was should be solved. The only problem I may run into is not enough usb 3.0 slots.  

    Just order the expansion card ready.  Ignoring the Rift, more usb slots are always handy.
    How do I install the expansion card?  Are all PC systems able to have this added?
    Here is the exact computer just in case.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-240gb-solid-state-drive-3tb-hard-drive-black-red/5793800.p?skuId=5793800&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=42eb4547-0a29-410c-94de-ecefa8e4c8cb&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199037&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    Yup....sry 1060.  Typo.  LOL!!!!!  However even a 1060 will do just fine.  I have sold a few VR ready systems with the 6GB 1060 and it works just fine.  Even a 1050Ti 4GB works fine for 95% of the games out there for VR.

    Yeah, well he said it was working fine so no reason it shouldn't continue to.  Needs to identify the issue and fix it.

    After that then yeah, by all means upgrade - a 3GB 1060 is low end for the Rift.
    What should I get then?  Are new graphics cards pricey or should I just bring back my new pc and get one with a better graphics card.  

    Well that really is up to you.  You could ask the vendor if you could just exchange the card.  It depends how much you can afford.  I recommend reading up more on the forum about cards while you fix your main issue.
    So my main issue is not having enough usb ports?
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    ok then.  You may want to consider the video I linked to above then and grab that exact model startech card as well then.

    A 1080Ti.....boy am I jealous now. 
     ;) 
    Digikid1 said:

    ps. fuck the oculus rift what a joke :disappointed:
    and yet here you are in an OCULUS FORUM.  If you have a problem with the Rift that's fine but please don't ruin it for others....especially when your post is too vague and to be honest, not helpful whatsoever.  Your issues is just that....YOUR issue.  So I suggest that you take your "issue" up with Oculus Support since that is what they are there for.

    Now as for the topic at hand....to the OP of this thread......have you found any other information that will help us out?
    I am bringing back my old PC with a 1060 video card and buying a new PC with 1080 ti video card and I’ll post if it works or not on this thread.  It should be here by Thursday, I have also bought another sensor.  So whatever the problem was should be solved. The only problem I may run into is not enough usb 3.0 slots.  

    Just order the expansion card ready.  Ignoring the Rift, more usb slots are always handy.
    How do I install the expansion card?  Are all PC systems able to have this added?
    Here is the exact computer just in case.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-240gb-solid-state-drive-3tb-hard-drive-black-red/5793800.p?skuId=5793800&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=42eb4547-0a29-410c-94de-ecefa8e4c8cb&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199037&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
  • soccerdude6soccerdude6 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I have the new computer and everything works fine.  Still use the splitter but will later start using the startech card.  
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    Good to hear.  Enjoy your new and better PC.
  • o0thepunisher69o0thepunisher69 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Sorry to hijack this threat but could anyone help me I have a lag problem and I can't find a fix I've been trying for 2 weeks to fix it started off as blsck screen then that problem went away and now I have lag that is constant doesn't stop even the oculus home is lagging I'm not in 2.0 and my system requirements are fine everything works it's just laggy all the time when I move side to side I see blackness as it is taking time to load I have tried all drivers none seem to work it worked all great for about 4 months after some updates it started black screening now this problem with the lag 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Despite what others have said your video card is quite a good GPU.  However get rid of the splitters.  They WILL introduce latency to the signal.  Oculus ( yes that is how you spell it ) sensors need pure bandwidth and splitters will cause problems with that.  I would also advise AGAINST the Inateck card as they are quite problematic in my experience and go for the Startech card instead as it is better.



    Useful info.

    As for this guy in the video, it looks like he got the wrong expansion card - everybody i know, including me (and everybody who commented on his video) got the 4 port one which works a treat.  Just because he couldn't even get the thing to work - well, you know...

    It's dirt cheap and it works a treat - as i said @soccerdude6 , you really should do it.
    Yes I bought the 4 port because that's the one they always referenced every time on this forum so I made sure I got the one with less ports and it works fine.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Yup....sry 1060.  Typo.  LOL!!!!!  However even a 1060 will do just fine.  I have sold a few VR ready systems with the 6GB 1060 and it works just fine.  Even a 1050Ti 4GB works fine for 95% of the games out there for VR.

    Yeah, well he said it was working fine so no reason it shouldn't continue to.  Needs to identify the issue and fix it.

    After that then yeah, by all means upgrade - a 3GB 1060 is low end for the Rift.
    What should I get then?  Are new graphics cards pricey or should I just bring back my new pc and get one with a better graphics card.  

    Your video card is fine.  If you get into graphic intensive games like DCS World you would benefit from a gfx card upgrade.  For the majority of games you won't notice much of a difference when you upgrade your card.  Let's put it this way, the cards people suggest you should be upgrading to start at a minimum of over $400 and you'll be disappointed in the lack of improvement in comparison to the amount of money you wasted to hardly see a difference.  The 1080ti will show a good improvement and that will set you back a minimum of $700 if you can find one that is at MSRP and not over priced due to crypto currency (I think it might finally be normalizing in the market now, but I haven't looked recently).  But you'd still be disappointed by the cost because a lot of VR games won't appear to be much different at all.  You'll be doing a lot of this "I think I see a difference".  Unless of course $700 to you is like buying a large soda from Circle K or 7-11 is to the rest of us, if that's the case, get the best money can buy.

    But hey you can supersample with the expensive cards though.  IMHO SS cost too much in GPU resources for you what you get in return.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    I agree with Hiro.  What EXACTLY is lagging?  The games? the motion controls?
    Everything pretty much depending on what you play.  I'd say Steam games lag more, such as high fps games(Onward, Robo Recall, etc...)  When you look one way you see unrendered black frames not being rendered fast enough, and your controllers lag and it kinda makes you VR sick and not very fun.  
    Something is wrong with your system, my brothers laptop is a 1060 3gb and it runs most games just fine.  He did say that playing games on my desktop with a 1060 6gb card everything was running smoother but his card is considerably slower than the 6 gb because it's on a laptop and they're reduced in power to keep temperatures under control.  His doesn't lag so bad that the screens can't keep up while he turns his head.  Is yours in a desktop or a laptop?
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    I wouldnt buy a new pc. Just sell that crappy rift. Me too have problems since a month or so. Everything worked just fine ( I have 4 sensors). Now its nagging about too far away (3 meter) lol. I get stuttering its really unplayable.
    And changing the usb ports all the time is no joke either.
    Mine is going straight to the thrash bin.

    Lets hope the vive wont be such a pain in the ass but i dont think so.

    i5-3570k 4.3ghz 16gb ram and of course the 1080gtx that works oooh so wel.. lol (well it does but not for the oculus rift)


    ps. fuck the oculus rift what a joke :disappointed:

    Mine works just fine.  I've had it have an error that said too far away.  I just re-ran sensor setup and it worked fine.  Perhaps one of my animals moved a sensor I have no idea.  Give it to me if you just want to throw it in the trash, I'll even pay the shipping.  You said BIN though so I'm assuming you're over seas from the USA.  I'll still pay for shipping, what do you say?
Sign In or Register to comment.