cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45 FPS Problem in some games

RedLeader42
Protege
I initially chimed in on another thread regarding FPS problems in Robo Recall but I am realizing it isn't just that game. I'm having this in other games as well such as The Climb and Bending the Light. I'm using Oculus Tray Tool to confirm the FPS and performance headroom. In-game there is visible stuttering while moving around or even just watching moving objects. FPS is reported steady at 45 with negative headroom. Windows reports the process using around 32% GPU usage and 20% CPU. The system is a new MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. I've tried some suggestions like turning off ASW Mode to no effect, updating drivers, etc. I'm running GeForce drivers v390.65. The only thing I've found that helps (tested in Robo Recall) is if the game can be windowed and then minimized on the computer screen, the FPS immediately camps out at 90 FPS with 30-50% headroom.Other games or environments such as the new Oculus Home, Job Simulator, Echo Arena and Star Trek Bridge Crew all run steadily at 90 FPS with no less than 20% headroom. I'm unsure what changed but I can say when I first got the system all the games seemed to run flawlessly.

Is this a known issue, as I've seen other people reporting similar problems? Is there any resolution? Not only for myself, but I want to have some friends over to blow their minds and would like the experience to be excellent like it was previously.
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM
108 REPLIES 108

RedLeader42
Protege
Not amazing response from support. I asked them if they could reproduce it and if it was something that could be researched. Their answer, paraphrasing:
Your laptop model is not certified as oculus ready. You're probably doing the right thing bypassing the Intel. We appreciate your thorough testing.

Wow. :'(
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
Is that just a standard reply or is your notebook in fact not "Oculus ready", when you run the testing stuff? Your hardware sounds well capable of handling the job (and beyond)?

However, if there's one thing we found out in this thread, it's all of us running the Rift on high-end gaming notebooks with hybrid GPUs (Intel and Nvidia). Is that correct? Because if so, that's definitely a step forward!

As for the machines in our company, we got rid of the micro stutters by rolling back to 384.94. I just want to write down the exact process, so you can reproduce it, if you want to try.

A - Remove NVidia GPU display driver via device manager.

B - Uninstall all unnecessary NVIDA stuff (Geforce Experience, 3D Vision, Audio bla bla...)

C - Set Windows game bar, Windows DVR etc. stuff to DISABLED

D - Clean everything up with DDU (uninstall remaining driver and Geforce Experience elements)

E - Restart Windows - Your machine should be 100% Nvidia free now.

F - Download 
384.94 driver package from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

G - Extract the directory "Disply.Driver" from the WHQL using e.g. Bandizip and copy it to your desktop

H - Install the driver from that directory via Windows device manager as the "new" driver for your Nvidia GPU (Ignore all the other NVida services, extra apps and bla).

I - Reboot machine

J - You should now have a super clean 384.94 driver installed for your Nvidia GPU. Fire up Oculus services, set it to Home Classic and launch the game of your choice. Microstuttering are now gone (at least on our machines).

Note: When launching SteamVR, the micro stuttering is still persistent, even with 394.94. So, for testing purposes, you may also want to uninstall SteamVR when getting rid of all the NVidia stuff in step B.

ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

LZoltowski
Champion

Not amazing response from support. I asked them if they could reproduce it and if it was something that could be researched. Their answer, paraphrasing:
Your laptop model is not certified as oculus ready. You're probably doing the right thing bypassing the Intel. We appreciate your thorough testing.

Wow. :'(

That's annoying. Hey .. is there no way to disable the intel graphics all together in bios?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedLeader42
Protege

Is that just a standard reply or is your notebook in fact not "Oculus ready", when you run the testing stuff? Your hardware sounds well capable of handling the job (and beyond)?

Performance-wise the laptop is very Oculus ready, and it passes oculus and steam performance tests with flying colors. They are saying my system isn't on this list as "certified." 

Sharkster-NVR said:
However, if there's one thing we found out in this thread, it's all of us running the Rift on high-end gaming notebooks with hybrid GPUs (Intel and Nvidia). Is that correct? Because if so, that's definitely a step forward!

If that ends up being the case, definitely a step forward. I didn't own my Rift or laptop before Jan 2018, but it appears there is a group of folks who saw the Rift take a performance nosedive in the Nov - Dec 2017 time frame. If the hybrid Intel / NVIDIA is the underlying cause, it would take those folks reporting this to support, and pushing the issue that this is not an unfixable hardware compatibility problem. Now that I've seen how the Rift can perform over the past couple of days, I am not certain it ever ran this well. Memory is fickle.

A bit of background
I bought this system after playing a friends Rift. Played it like 20 minutes and went, "Yeah, well, I have to own one of these." :smile: He owns an MSI laptop just a bit older than mine with an Intel / GTX 1060 hybrid, and runs the 382.05 drivers. It seems I can't run the 382.05 drivers, because the installer says it can't detect a compatible system. I can only install as far back as 384.x. On his MSI laptop with 382.x and a GTX 1060, Robo Recall ran near flawlessly at 90 fps. He's been a help to me working through this and we've communicated back and forth about this. So far it appears he doesn't have the problem I do, but he's not run all the software updates that I have. I'm encouraging him to try an external monitor like I have and see if it improves further. It would be interesting to hear from more folks, but JJCourage
on this thread confirmed that using an external monitor is a very effective workaround.

Sharkster-NVR said:
Note: When launching SteamVR, the micro stuttering is still persistent, even with 394.94. So, for testing purposes, you may also want to uninstall SteamVR when getting rid of all the NVidia stuff in step B.

In my situation I can't describe anything I've seen as "micro-stuttering" it was either "wow-this-is-horrid" or "wow-this-is-nearly-flawless" (angles playing trumpets). I do still have a hiccup now and then, like the first time I pull apart a Robot and it explodes in parts and sparks, but I attribute this to natural loading of resources or whatnot, like LZoltowski suggested above, as it doesn't happen every time. I have tried drivers from 384.x to 390.x and can't discern a difference I could point a finger at. Oculus Client and Steam VR both played equal well or equally bad so far as I could discern.

RedLeader42
Protege

That's annoying. Hey .. is there no way to disable the intel graphics all together in bios?

Thats an interesting idea I’ll have to experiment with. That would also be better for JJCorage than hauling around a monitor. :smile: My wife’s not a huge fan of the monitor I have sitting on our living room coffee table right now, so better for me too! 😄

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
In my BIOS there is a "MSHybrid" or "DISCRETE" toggle. I believe that allows to switch off the hybrid GPU stuff altogether, but I haven't played around with it yet.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Sharkster-NVR
Protege

To my understanding, there's no such thing as an "Oculus Ready Certificate". I guess they simply believe that your notebook didn't pass the "Ready for Rift" compatibility test:
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-compatibility-check-tool-checks-pc-ready-rift/

...which is obviously plain wrong. To me it sounds like: "Hey, your hardware doesn't work with Oculus! But that's not our fault!" - which is BS of course, because the question of who's to blame is not as interesting as the solution to the problem. I mean... what is "not certified as Oculus ready" even supposed to mean... or how is it supposed to help?

Statements like that from support staff always make me kinda angry, as they're just so NOT helpful. Instead of digging the depths of the internet for weeks to get our (which is in fact THEIR!) VR hardware to work, we should just return it, take a refund. Buy a Vive... and say: "K, maybe it's HTC ready certified shiznit?".

😕

nalex66
MVP
MVP

To my understanding, there's no such thing as an "Oculus Ready Certificate". I guess they simply believe that your notebook didn't pass the "Ready for Rift" compatibility test ... which is obviously plain wrong. To me it sounds like: "Hey, your
hardware doesn't work with Oculus! But that's not our fault!" - which is
BS of course, because the question of who's to blame is not as
interesting as the solution to the problem. I mean... what is "not
certified as Oculus ready" even supposed to mean... or how is it
supposed to help?

Statements like that from support staff always make me kinda angry, as
they're just so NOT helpful. Instead of digging the depths of the
internet for weeks to get our (which is in fact THEIR!) VR
hardware to work, we should just return it, take a refund. Buy a Vive...
and say: "K, maybe it's HTC ready certified shiznit?".

The "Oculus-Ready" list linked above is simply a list of systems that have been tested by Oculus and confirmed to work. By saying that the system is not on the list, they're not saying that it definitely won't work, just that they don't know whether it will work, or what hoops you might have to jump through to get there.

Laptops are generally problematic for VR, due to the issues you guys are experiencing, which are outside of Oculus's control. The hardware problems are in how the laptops are wired up, not in the VR hardware. Oculus has provided a list of laptops that are known to work. Beyond that, you're free to try, but you're somewhat on your own--you might find a way to make it work, or you might be SOL.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

LZoltowski
Champion
I would Highly recommend disabling HYBRID in bios and going with DISCRETE all together, this will bypass the intel chipset and might solve the issue you are having. I have seen tonnes of reports that this fixes a lot of switching issues for people where games and applications forget to use discreet or Intel butts in and messes things up.

This will affect battery life tho.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
@nalex66 - What's the point of releasing a "Is my hardware ready for Oculus"-tool then? Oculus released that tool, so you can self-check if your system works or not. That's it. If the answer is: "Who knows?", then there's no need for that tool. 

I'm well aware that there's probably not one single culprit, but a combination of complex issues. We're developers ourselves and had to deal with the whackiness of gaming notebooks and especially NVidia's poor implementation of their so called "Optimus" before.

However, we HAVE TO use notebooks, as we develop and sell semi-mobile out-of-the-box VR systems (software & hardware). Our only concern is to get the expensive base hardware to work... which sometimes can get frustrating. And we hope that NVidia AND Oculus will finally come up with a ready-to-use solution that doesn't require us to fiddle around with their stuff for ages, as we don't get paid for that (i.e. it steals time from our actual development work).

Anyway, let's not be focused on who's to blame, but on how to solve this. We already have a running interims solution with the July released NVidia drivers, but we'll test out the MShybrid vs. Discreete BIOS modes later today. We will report back, when we have some news.