cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom VFR - Smooth Locomotion Patch

elboffor
Consultant
well, I've held off playing this but it looks like tomorrow might have to be the day i start

DOOM VFR PC Patch - January 30

29 JANUARY - JASONBETHESDA
Hey all,

A new patch for DOOM VFR will be deployed on January 30 for PC. Here are the patch notes.

• Added Windows Mixed Reality headset support
  • Added Smooth Locomotion control option
  • Added Smooth Locomotion movement speed options
  • Added Weapon Pitch option to adjust angle of weapon on controller
  • Added option for Jump while using VR controllers with Smooth Movement on
  • Added toggle for Dash when smooth movement is on
  • Added Jump to Gamepad controller scheme
  • Fixed an issue with discoloring seen on some HMDs
  • Various bug fixes[/list

The DOOM VFR patch will take place at 2:00pm CST/3:00pm EST on January 30th on PC.
Is there anything else anyone recommends?
such as binding buttons differently or anything?

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.
31 REPLIES 31

elboffor
Consultant
Real shame tbh cos i was properly enjoying it aside from all the shit performance 
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I was looking at the patch notes, and realized that this game STILL has no left-handed mode. They tweeted on December 1 that they were looking to add lefty support along with more locomotion options.

Oh well forget this game once again!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer
Can somebody who owns this game please tell me if it's controller-oriented or hmd-oriented movement?  If it's got the option for controller-oriented, I'll have to try it when I get my PC back.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I believe it's only HMD oriented.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

DarkTenka
Trustee
I haven't played the most recent patch .. but before that, using the game-pad would only work with HMD orientation

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

KillCard said:

I haven't played the most recent patch .. but before that, using the game-pad would only work with HMD orientation

Yeah, that's what I had read about the gamepad/remapping controls workaround, so I never bought it.  For some reason, I find it impossible to play a game hmd-oriented.  Playing so much Onward, Serious Sam, Fallout, and From Other Suns I guess.

DarkTenka
Trustee

KillCard said:

Yeah, that's what I had read about the gamepad/remapping controls workaround, so I never bought it.  For some reason, I find it impossible to play a game hmd-oriented.  Playing so much Onward, Serious Sam, Fallout, and From Other Suns I guess.

I find that this is only a problem on Vive for me. The Vive thumbpads are terrible for accurate directional pushes since it doesnt track the actual push "direction", just whether or not it was pushed and the x/y location of the sensor feedback.

Touch analog sticks are basically the same as xbox controller analog sticks and my mind already knows what to expect when I push in whatever direction. It makes VR FPS the same as flat FPS for me.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Works perfectly for me - I'm even forcing super sampling 2.0 (thank to Oculus Tray Tool). I'm using TAAx1 (not 8, can't see any difference). Virtual Texturing Page Size set to High, not Ultra, seems like 8GB is not enough with SS 2.0 - can't see any difference comparing High and Ultra. All other settings maxed.  
Love it when you jump in the real world, you jump in-game - that's unique, right? Textures are often awesome, can see tiny scratches on windows and metal surfaces etc. Not Lone Echo quality, but reasonable close - and MUCH better than Fallout 4 VR. I'm using the good old Forceware 385.28 (due to Elite and Obduction) - so far no graphical glitches, all textures work perfectly. 
Only remaining problem is fixed weapon-hand - I'm a lefty - but I get to throw grenades using my left hand/arm - so it's not all bad. 
So far I'm hooked - this is really Doom - it's awesome - maybe the most adrenaline pumping VR game. Love the HMD analogous movement control - wouldn't want digital turning to reduce immersion. Thus just buying and installing the game it really goes much like this (apart from HMD-oriented turning):

https://youtu.be/gOHJcJJ620g

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

richardl_molina
Honored Guest
Total noob to pc gaming coming from ps4 but love doom I have oculus rift and when I select smooth movement in doom settings nothing works still the same as before with teleporting... any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need a AutoHotKey (important not the Beta as it won't work and would mess up Registry for script) and script (use Open With AHK) , edit the binds to not allow left stick as smooth loco works ingame anyways, load the binds into the game. Search it on regedit.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65067/doom-vfr-works-perfectly-on-rift-no-controlle...

edit script as follows: 
I figured out the edit to the Script to rid the Left Touch. Remember to enable Smooth Locomotion in Menu again to allow dynamic movement. This is the only last commands needed which enable only the Right Touch: -

(after this)
; Now to do something with them.

;Right X axis Plus
 if (rightX > 0.2) and (oldRX <= 0.2)
  Send, {p down}
 if (rightX <= 0.2) and (oldRX > 0.2)
  Send, {p up}
 ;Right X axis Negative 
 if (rightX < -0.2) and (oldRX >= -0.2)
  Send, {o down}
 if (rightX >= -0.2) and (oldRX <- 0.2)
  Send, {o up}