cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image warping when moving my head around

DennyDifferent
Honored Guest

I've just got a Gear VR with controller to use with my S8 (not +) but have a really annoying issue that I'm hoping is fixable.

Whenever I move my head around the image seems to warp a little, to the point where it's nearly motion-sickness inducing. Things that should be stationary seem to get distorted slightly.

Is this a common issue or could I have a broken unit?

9 REPLIES 9

cybereality
Grand Champion
There can be some slight warping, due to the way the lenses distort the image, but this is corrected for in software and should not be very apparent.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, it was not like that at all. The image didn't use to warp at all before a recent update. It seems to have increased the FOV but it looks like the image is bulging towards me In  the middle and as I move my head things get warped and stretched towards the edges. It was perfect before.... now, its completely useless to me. I don't get motion sickness but this warping effect completely destroys the immersion for me.... it is also very annoying.  I wish they did this crap before I bought the gear vr and games... try watching a movie even. Just go to the store and watch a trailer for a game you can see the image in the center of the screen looks like is closer to your face than the edges... distorts the whole video... I'm really pissed off about this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

There can be some slight warping, due to the way the lenses distort the image, but this is corrected for in software and should not be very apparent.

Cybereality, its not slightly warping... it is quite A lot... It didn't use to be like that at all... it looks like the FOV was increased, since I can see more around me, without correcting the extra image for the lenses... don't know how to explain it better... it's horrible 
I'm using an s8+

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really hope this gets fixed soon

Anonymous
Not applicable
So am I to assume that's how it's going to look from now? I'm surprised it doesn't bother more people... it looks like the image is a bubble in the middle. Like a ball moving under a cloth. It was not like that a couple of weeks ago. No bubbling or warping.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow.... Well goodbye from me. Not even acknowledging it's a problem. No more oculus products for me and would never recommend this... bye

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue when developing for Oculus in Unity, can someone please provide any feedback on this ?

FunKing
Expert Protege
I guess everyone facing this issue knows what they are talking about, but without screenshots or videos it's a bit hard for others to try to visualize what is being described. If you could record and share a video, I think it would be easier for others to understand the problem and try to help you out.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, to be honest, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. A video would definitely help.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV