cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting My Way Through A Procedurally Generated VR Afterlife Playing In Death

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

Today I am taking a look at the new bow shooter from Sólfar Studios, "In Death". This is quite a different experience from Sólfar's previous virtual tourism title Everest VR.

As it is described on the games launch page, In Death lets you Battle through procedurally generated levels and dungeons in intense ranged combat coupled with a unique locomotion system perfectly attuned to your fighting style. In Death’s surreal medieval setting is presents a world with monsters, mysteries and loot. Driven by an achievement-based progression system that advances between sessions, each run is unique, with unpredictable outcomes.

I have to say the game looks and plays great and has a really good grasp of the bow and arrow mechanic. The graphics and sound are really good and the character animations on the enemies are top notch. The AI can be a bit hit and miss at times however, with some enemies reacting quickly and others just standing there waiting to be shot. In Death also has experimental free movement that combines nicely with the teleportation system to let players customize the movement scheme to their individual needs. With that in mind there is unfortunately no smooth turning option but since the game has room scale it is not really a bother.

The one thing I really wish Sólfar had included would have to be some sort of story or narration as I can see this game getting a bit repetitive over time. Having a story to drive the player on would have gone a long way to increasing my play time. Another thing I think that would be great for In Death would be a multiplayer coop mode. With the lack of a story mode having a friend come along could also help with the repetitiveness of the procedurally generated dungeon crawling in the game.

Overall I was happy with In Death and if you like VR games that feature good graphics and intense gameplay but can live without the story elements then I would recommend giving this one a look!
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
15 REPLIES 15

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Great review @vrgamerdude

Agreed on all points. I played this today as well, and look forward a few more hours of madness. Some of those battle tactics get intense; I'm glad no one is physically recording me when I'm trying to dodge arrows from multiple long-distance enemies as I combat several melee foes.

I know I must look absurd!

Thanks man... Yeah I'm sure people watching me play on cam must have sometimes LOL'd a bit... I know my wife and kids do from time to time, but I don't care because I was dodging arrows and having a blast doing it! [;]-)
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

I've been waiting for a game like The Forest, which is a survival game to get VR. I purchased it ages ago because they said they were going to give it VR, but I'm still waiting. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/The_Forest/

You might not have to wait that much longer:
 https://uploadvr.com/gorgeous-survival-game-forest-finally-getting-vr-mode/

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/1652128002688763568
Be good, die great !

Syrellaris
Rising Star

snowdog said:

I really can't see the sense in developers not adding a smooth turning option. I've got a 3 sensor 360 setup now but there are plenty of people that only have 2 front facing sensors that don't like snap turning.

Great video as always Don!  B)

Yup it's why i ignore many VR games. I hate Snap turning and teleporting. Just give me free movement and turning with sticks.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
In Death is still Early Access so hopefully we can get free movement soon.

The game is fun, but the teleport mechanic is killing me, literally lol

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
You're really lucky! Just moving one foot a couple of inches can have me falling over and definitely has me swaying around like the funny guy in your post.

I have spinal damage (amongst other things I already posted about a while back) and the nerves to both my legs are half numb. The inside of my legs and feet feel normal, the ousides of them are completely numb. This really buggers you up in VR on the spot!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@Brixmis If you have trouble standing in games you might want to check out the 3DRudder.... I have a spinal fusion at 3 levels and for times when it is bothering me this is a great way to stay in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhFbwfmVxa4