cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45 FPS Problem in some games

RedLeader42
Protege
I initially chimed in on another thread regarding FPS problems in Robo Recall but I am realizing it isn't just that game. I'm having this in other games as well such as The Climb and Bending the Light. I'm using Oculus Tray Tool to confirm the FPS and performance headroom. In-game there is visible stuttering while moving around or even just watching moving objects. FPS is reported steady at 45 with negative headroom. Windows reports the process using around 32% GPU usage and 20% CPU. The system is a new MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. I've tried some suggestions like turning off ASW Mode to no effect, updating drivers, etc. I'm running GeForce drivers v390.65. The only thing I've found that helps (tested in Robo Recall) is if the game can be windowed and then minimized on the computer screen, the FPS immediately camps out at 90 FPS with 30-50% headroom.Other games or environments such as the new Oculus Home, Job Simulator, Echo Arena and Star Trek Bridge Crew all run steadily at 90 FPS with no less than 20% headroom. I'm unsure what changed but I can say when I first got the system all the games seemed to run flawlessly.

Is this a known issue, as I've seen other people reporting similar problems? Is there any resolution? Not only for myself, but I want to have some friends over to blow their minds and would like the experience to be excellent like it was previously.
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM
108 REPLIES 108

JJcourage
Explorer
RedLeader42: There's no way your GTX 1070 can't handle RR at its most craziest. Right now, my GTX 1060 6Gb is handling the massive boss guy and multiple Robos, drones, and so on [the limiting factor is me, pouring sweat], and I can't see any stuttering (totally smooth) on 390.77 (even without the external monitor fix) - as said, 390.77 has pretty much fixed RR for me (and Earth / SuperHot, but not TR or H3). I'm really sorry you haven't (yet) had a 'perfect' experience. As Sharkster reckons, I agree, it has to be 99% driver at this stage, or even individual equipment specific. On a BIG downside, just now for the first ever time, I noticed a band of pure graphical glitches (about 1 inch wide) right across the top portion of the OLED screen, from left to right, totally corrupted, flashing white band: this was during a 15 min TR session (non-VR) - I tried to see what different Advanced Graphics settings were available (I was at 1920x1080 f.y.i). This illicited a loud 4-letter word. Hopefully a one-off, mmm, but I doubt it. If it comes back inthe next couple of days, and more than once, then this is going back to Dell. I am not happy.
I'm going to start checking my temps with HWMonitor.
Alienware R3 13 OLED notebook | GTX 1060 6 GB (Intel 630 HD igfx) | Core i7-7700HQ | 512 | 16 GB RAM
Rift worked perfectly (no stutters) until early Dec 2017, then stuttered until May 2018 (gave up using it). Since May '18, what worked = use DDU to force remove all Nvidia GPU drivers, reinstall all Dell official ones, followed by (to present) 411.70. On Oculus Home 1.33. All works fine.

RedLeader42
Protege
So I installed the 390.77 drivers and that may have helped. I performed a DDU and NVIDIA clean install. One thing I just found that does in fact make a significant difference having vertical sync set to OFF in the NVIDIA Control Panel. Someone mentioned that in this thread but I can't find the reference. Credit to that person. This immediately produced smoother action and eliminated the fps drops during intense action. By intense I mean mission 1-2, night, all-star mode enabled, two-handed shotgun defense.ip88l2qter38.png
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM

RedLeader42
Protege
I'm also going to say that for me, running on an external monitor still produces a higher quality experience. I still get fps drops during intense action if any processes are using the Intel GPU. This laptop has a 120Hz 3ms display so maybe it's a sync issue.

JJcourage
Explorer
Re: 120 Hz. Could be an interesting point. I’ve been doing yet more reading around - the NotebookReview forum pages alone, on the AW 13 R3 and associated models, are up to 680 pages+ and get flaming hot in places! Amusing. It seems my OLED is ‘capped’ at 60 Hz, but that may also be overruled by a game’s config file (?) - what that may do, I don’t know. The Samsung TV I now use as an external monitor is 60 Hz. I re-read the review for your laptop on Tom’s Hardware, I remember it well now. It was definitely on my shortlist, as were the others on their comparison page. I eventually bought the Dell due to the OLED, portability, and seeing a great deal (it’s over a year old) at exactly the most important time = late evening having drunk beer. Sigh. I haven’t had the “non-VR TR top of the screen glitching issue” return, yet, on two restarts, but it is a known issue according to the Steam TR forums = I must back off to DX11 there to fix if it happens again, but I confess I’m not actually doing TR per se, just interested in its Rift experience, which is er broken at the mo. And not that great either!

Thanks for the V-sync/turn it off, idea. I had forgotten that. I had tried it during my 388.xx attempts, but since 390.77 is mostly working, not tried again. I’m going to select ‘high performance’ power profile, and turn off V-sync, and force Oculus Client to always use the Discrete GTX 1060. Then try TR in VR for a few minutes, as that’s the main broken experience, and let you know. P.S. I’ve never yet seen any reference to the Rift appear in my PhysX control panel when it’s plugged in. Odd. How does it appear for you? A peripheral/screen hanging off the HDMI port?
Alienware R3 13 OLED notebook | GTX 1060 6 GB (Intel 630 HD igfx) | Core i7-7700HQ | 512 | 16 GB RAM
Rift worked perfectly (no stutters) until early Dec 2017, then stuttered until May 2018 (gave up using it). Since May '18, what worked = use DDU to force remove all Nvidia GPU drivers, reinstall all Dell official ones, followed by (to present) 411.70. On Oculus Home 1.33. All works fine.

RedLeader42
Protege
Sometimes this forum seems to resurrect drafts and post them unintentionally. This note was one of those, and since I can't delete posts I'm just writing this.

JJcourage
Explorer
Hi RedLeader42: I’m assuming your external monitor can do 120 Hz?

RedLeader42
Protege
P.S. I’ve never yet seen any reference to the Rift appear in my PhysX control panel when it’s plugged in. Odd. How does it appear for you? A peripheral/screen hanging off the HDMI port?

It depends. I'll provide screenshots for the 3 scenarios here:
With External Monitor
7y3gbsc9gs6t.png

Laptop screen without Rift detectedqkcjyfrn5yd8.png 
Laptop screen with Rift detected
3bhgto5115na.png

You can see by the light blue box that PhysX is always assigned to the 1070 though. I don't fully understand how the situation arises where there is no Rift display detected, but from some reading this may be the "virtual display" that the new Core 2.0 adds to provide the virtual desktop in-VR ... except it will be removed and added from the NVIDIA Control Panel simply by unplugging and re-plugging the Rift HDMI, so ?
Hi RedLeader42: I’m assuming your external monitor can do 120 Hz?

Actually it does not. I'm using an old-ish 60 Hz Lenovo, 1920x1080. Today I have a mini displayport to HDMI cable arriving that will allow me to hook this system up to my 120 Hz LED Samsung television, so I'll see if that produces anything different.

JJcourage
Explorer
That is all good to see - as I've never seen "Nvidia-VR desktop" or anything at all, ever, for Rift. Very interesting. Another link I've got speed-dialled on the bookmarks now is: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/
No time yet to have another go at more tests, perhaps tomorrow, most likely Tuesday. Sadly, I've managed to only get 15 min (!) Rift play in a fully-loaded Assetto Corsa install -> I bought that ~ when the jitters started, so I was a little annoyed - including all the Porsche, bagged in the last Steam sale. Astonishing! After the TR tests, I'm going to give Assetto another go on 390.77, with the Samsung TV attached. All I seem to do right now is trouble-shoot every session. Not what I want. I'm still amazed at how quiet this laptop is (it sounds/is fanless when surfing) - my last one was 2011 vintage (don't ask, I didn't know vacuum cleaners had screens and lasted 90 minutes on 0% brightness, ha)... at 100% this Dell reports 8h remaining after 5min on 50% OLED, and 6h after 10 min, haha. And... EDIT: It completely dies after 1h of non-VR Medium settings DX11 TR. So much for 2018. Bring on the year 2025! I really hope that Nvidia can get all our little issues sorted out asap, assuming it is that.

JJcourage
Explorer
Today I've tried many different permutations with the clear culprit: Tomb Raider's VR DLC and 390.77 drivers.
+/- Vsync (no differences)
+/- external monitor (no difference, but it may delay onset of the jitters by 2 to 3 minutes)
Played with various graphics settings again with all these combinations, too. High, medium, low - it's all the same output.

I went for Ambient occlusion, Bloom, etc. anything that might be related to the more extreme (i.e. beautiful) effects.
On/off, various permutations.

I just couldn't get anything to 'stick' and remove all jitters, all the time.
When the jitters do start, they can stop - usually in a side corridor with little advanced effects.
But - enter the library, grand staircase, or the fallen tree (on way to the Atelier) rooms... and, bang, off they start again.
No idea what to do except 1) wait for the next Nvidia Driver update.
Almost everything (SteamVR apps, Oculus Home/RoboRecall), Rift-wise is just about OK with 390.77 (no external monitor fix). But it's not as good as it was. But I'm generally OK. The way it is.
2) My HWmonitor temps are concerning. As soon as I am out of warranty, I will play the repaste cpu/gpu game (but 10 months to go).

Sharkster-NVR
Protege
You did so many tests, but did you ever test your Rift with NVidia 384.94 drivers (like I suggested a bunch of times before)?
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?