Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Steam Controller" announced

Walky
Explorer
22 REPLIES 22

elig
Honored Guest
Worst controller ever. Destined for failure. Mark my words, that controller will be Valve's biggest failure. Love the steam machines, love steamos, but that controller is the worst I have ever seen.

Qix
Explorer
"KydDynoMyte" wrote:
Replacing the thumbsticks with round discs made me think of way back when I removed the round discs from my Intellivision controllers and replaced them with sticks for better control. I never knew my upgrade was really a downgrade. I hope I can find the old discs to switch them back.

Yeah I did the same thing.. I was jealous of my friends Atari 2600. Nothing beats Submarine battle and Triple action with friends.

360FOV
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:

And the other way around! If I visit someone playing a crazy console FPS and they hand me the controller with thumbsticks, and I'm like a deer in the headlights for a bit. 😞

Yeah, I agree. When I first started playing on PS3 I was shooting air for 6 months before I started getting head shots with a controller. It is embarrassing when 7 year olds can totally own you! :lol:
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

PenguinJim
Honored Guest
"elig" wrote:
Worst controller ever. Destined for failure. Mark my words, that controller will be Valve's biggest failure. Love the steam machines, love steamos, but that controller is the worst I have ever seen.

It doesn't look comfortable or superior to me, either, I'll still be interested in trying it before dismissing it. ^^

bidji
Honored Guest
well, it is basically a gamepad that offers more accurate controls than a classical consoley controller. so for people like me who find such controllers uncomfortable, it's just back to square one. but it's just their first stab at making a controller, maybe they can come up with something that better suits my needs in the future.
and yes, I'd probably have to try it first hand, so to speak, before completely dismissing it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought Valve will do some input device with bio-Feedback?

But I didnt see this at this controller... ^^

Gassniffer
Honored Guest
"KydDynoMyte" wrote:
Replacing the thumbsticks with round discs made me think of way back when I removed the round discs from my Intellivision controllers and replaced them with sticks for better control. I never knew my upgrade was really a downgrade. I hope I can find the old discs to switch them back.

OMG bring back PT Boats !!!!!!!!!

Kirito
Honored Guest
valve has money so they can easly compete with the big consoles

Libre
Honored Guest
Right. I am not a developer, I do not know what's actually possible.

However.

I am very excited for this controller, especially in regards to it's use with VR. I am assuming a fairly high-performance feedback system, but... it's Valve, right? They've been doing something with all that hat money.

It sounds like a haptic device that would be perfect for some games, as well as an appealing mass-market form factor. You know exactly where someone's hand rests on the surface, and you're able to feed back haptic information that reinforces the virtual scene. Stellar!

Pie-in-the-sky Stuff: I bet you could do some fun things in the long term with neural adaptation too- map a virtual body to different haptic signals, essentially learning to "feel" the virtual body entirely through your hands. Virtual Synekinethisia? Too cool!

My only concern is that there's no mention of a positional tracking system, which might limit the controller's initial usefulness in VR-specific applications. They might want to leave that space open for future development, the finished controller might have a STEM port, or they've got their own solution they're keeping quiet about. Hard to say.

I worry that the tactical haptics guys might suddenly have some stiff competition, but I also think about a combination of the two technologies could be amazing.

lilwolf
Expert Protege
As a PC gamer who never liked fps on a console, I agree with bidji... It's really what you grew up with. The ability to make large motions when necessary, and slow ones when needed I think wins it for the mouse, but the keyboard (and me being left handed so I can't use WASD) makes the keyboard a bit of an issue.

that being said. I'm getting used to the xbox controller because of VR. So until we can get a way to use the keyboard/mouse while standing up...

"KydDynoMyte" wrote:
"bidji" wrote:
.... I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games...

I think a thumb trackball is vastly superior to a mouse, but I'd rather my opponents use a mouse or gamepad type controller.