cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant breaking/horrible support

Hanselhoff27
Honored Guest
Anyone else having back to back issues with their units and getting terrible customer service? 
I first bought oculus back in September. By December my headset cable went out. Mind you, I take extremely good care of my setup and would consider myself a casual player. I wouldn't even go as far as calling myself a gamer. It barely lasted 3 months with moderate use. First I thought I'd just buy a replacement. But when I looked at the ridiculous $50 price tag, I went for support. 15 emails back an forth over almost 2 weeks they finally decided to send me a replacement. In total it was almost an entire month before I was able to play again.

Now, here I am again after about 6 weeks of being able to play again, and my right ear phone goes completely silent. Contact support right away, that was Saturday. Here it is Tuesday and almost 10 emails and I'm told that not only will I have to get my own box and send them my headset BEFORE they'll replace it, but it "might be a refurbished unit". I said I don't want a used, previously broken head set. And was then told "the refurbished unit you WILL be receiving is up to standard" ... Blah blah blah. And the best part is I have to wait up to 3 days just to get the shipping label and up to another 12 days just to get someone else's used, broke ass unit which will undoubtedly break again. I am absolutely dreading having to do this over and over again.

This all raises another question for me. Which I asked support and they didn't answer me. So if anyone else knows, please tell me.
After Oculus sends me someone else's used piece of shit, will I get an updated warranty date? As in, will that unit be warrantied a year from the date I receive it or will my original purchase date stand? Meaning, when I inevitably have to have something else fixed or replaced, after September I'm screwed. 

6 REPLIES 6

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, outside of specific circumstances (like if a device arrived DOA), we have moved to providing refurbished headsets for warranty replacement. These are not broken, they have been tested to confirmed they are working, and some parts (like the facial interface) are replaced with new pieces. There may be some slight scratches on the outside, etc., but otherwise these are fully working devices. We can send you the warranty terms for replacements on the ticket. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

That's really unlucky Hanselhoff but there are many who have now had their headset over 18 months and never had an issue.  Hopefully your next unit will give you years of trouble-free fun.

Had mine over 18 months now - i might have unplugged it a couple of times and it has sat on my desk in front of my monitor - lots of trouble-free use.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that's a bit crap. If my Rift went tits up and I needed a replacement I'd want a new one. I'm pretty sure that's illegal to do here in the UK. Mind you, that's part of the reason why I got mine from John Lewis rather than Oculus because I didn't want a US company trying any dodgy shenannigans. 😮

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

Well that's a bit crap. If my Rift went tits up and I needed a replacement I'd want a new one. I'm pretty sure that's illegal to do here in the UK. Mind you, that's part of the reason why I got mine from John Lewis rather than Oculus because I didn't want a US company trying any dodgy shenannigans. 😮

Not "illegal" technically. However, in the Netherlands, a court ruled that Apple cannot provide re-furbished or remanufactured units as Warranty. So this won't fly over there. More and more companies are doing it now though. I don't really mind as long as the unit is not in a worse cosmetic condition than the one I am sending back 🙂 Had mine since April 2016 ... a few more months of warranty left 🙂 .. Honestly If it gave up the ghost it's so cheap now Id just buy a new one .. but I know many people cant do that easily.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kzintzi
Trustee

snowdog said:

wish that was possible in Australia.. Alas 😞
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Hanselhoff27
Honored Guest

Yes, outside of specific circumstances (like if a device arrived DOA), we have moved to providing refurbished headsets for warranty replacement. These are not broken, they have been tested to confirmed they are working, and some parts (like the facial interface) are replaced with new pieces. There may be some slight scratches on the outside, etc., but otherwise these are fully working devices. We can send you the warranty terms for replacements on the ticket. Thanks.

That's a pretty crappy business practice! Sell someone a faulty unit, and make up for it by sending them someone else's "repaired" faulty unit? And on top of it all, you DONT extend the warranty?! 
For a company owned by Facebook, one of the wealthiest companies, Oculus sure is a bunch of cheapskate ripoff artists.
 Seems like you guys really don't give a crap about your customers. I should have bought a Vive!