cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65

Zellfreid
Explorer
I used my Oculus Rift a few days ago without issues, but I recently downloaded the new Nvidia Driver. Now the screen won't turn on, and the indicator light that should turn white when functioning stays orange. I tried restarting my computer, and the headset screen still won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not reverted drivers yet, but I will return and respond after I do. In the meantime, please let me know if anyone else has the same problem.

UPDATE Jan 14: Confirmed: Rift works fine with Nvidia Driver 388.59. Others say a clean reinstall of current drivers works, too, but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that.

UPDATE Feb 11: If experiencing intermittent black screen between working sessions try in the Oculus App: Settings > Beta > Restart Oculus
84 REPLIES 84

IlIfadeIlI
Protege
Manuel are you still investigating the issue?  Because it has found its way in the latest drivers release notes...

Issues and Updates:
-On some systems running multiple monitors, PC may TDR on cold boot. No problem with warm boot. 
-After PC is left on for extended period of time, HDCP may be lost cause HTC Vive/Oculus Rift to launch to a black screen. Rebooting PC resolves issue. 
-NieR:Automata randomly freezes with white screen 
-Content type from NVIDIA Control Panel reset on reboot
-Gears of War 4 may randomly crash
-Doom (OpenGL) may crash on launch if HDR is enabled in Windows 
-Rise of the Tomb Raider displays partial flickering in DX12 mode
-NvfbcPluginWindow preventing Windows from shutting down if PC is left on for extended period of time

Sethiest
Explorer
Please HELP!

I'm having problems with juddering now. It's driving me mental. Especially since I never has any problem with the rift until a couple of days ago. 

I've tried everything in this thread and nothing seems to be working. I even reset my PC to try and remove everything that may be conflicting - no luck. 

My PC,
i7 4790k
GTX 1070
32 ram.

Also I'm on Driver 390.77. I tried a clean reinstall of that as well but it didn't work. 

Urrrrggghh it was working fine before why'd they have to mess around with it. So frustrating. 

Edit: Rolled back to 388.59 but the problem STILL PERSISTS

cybereality
Grand Champion
Strange. I've been recommending driver 388.71, and that seems to work for people. Be sure to do a DDU uninstall in safe mode first (usually a good idea when down-grading to older drivers).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tagnee
Honored Guest
  I am very disappointed with customer service. I have been emailing back and forth since Christmas and all of a sudden I stop hearing from them. I am having issue with sound and lagging video. I have i7 6770 with GTX 1070. I have sent them logs and still they have not got back with me. I return the first set, thinking that I might be the head set but still having the same issue. Then I called the video card company to see if it was the card but the was not it. I replace the card to see if the problem persisted and it still did.  I have been very disappointed all around with the produce and customer service.     

Sharkster-NVR
Protege

Sethiest said:

I've tried everything in this thread and nothing seems to be working. I even reset my PC to try and remove everything that may be conflicting - no luck. 

My PC,
i7 4790k
GTX 1070
32 ram.

Also I'm on Driver 390.77. I tried a clean reinstall of that as well but it didn't work. 

Urrrrggghh it was working fine before why'd they have to mess around with it. So frustrating. 

Edit: Rolled back to 388.59 but the problem STILL PERSISTS

I had to roll back to drivers from July/August to get rid of the stuttering. I'm currently on 384.94 and everything's smooth as it was on the first day. No chance with newer driver. I have the exact same configuration you have (32 GB, GTX 1070), but a different i7 and I'm on a notebook. Is yours a notebook too?

@Dean.Drake said:

I have i7 6770 with GTX 1070. 

Another notebook with said configurations and issues with newer NVidia drivers. Interesting.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

SirPhilMcKraken
Explorer
I'm having the same issue, I haven't used my rift for a few months and I've tried to use it and all I get is the white hourglass then nothing. The screen is actually on because I can see it and sound comes through fine.

Going through the setup, I get the eye setting with the green cross and then nothing after that.

I've done a fresh install of drivers and using 388.71 and no luck. My other normal games work, rift doesnt though.

SirPhilMcKraken
Explorer
Ok so I tried what someone suggested on an old post somewhere, I unplugged both Rift and monitor and plugged them back in with the rift first and it works. Can this be somehow fixed permanently?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hi, @"Dean.Drake". It sounds to me like a software conflict on your computer. Most likely it's the Asus software that may have been installed with your motherboard. Specifically Asus Sonic Suite and Asus AI Suite are known to cause problems and should be uninstalled. Other audio apps can cause issues as well, specifically M-Audio. I'd also watch out for GPU monitor or overlay apps such as MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, F.lux, etc.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

maxx11111
Adventurer
https://support.oculus.com/
If you are using an Nvidia GPU and currently experiencing display or
performance issues with your Oculus Rift, please make sure you're using
driver version 388.59. Later versions may cause compatibility issues
with Oculus software.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess Oculus doesn’t scower the posts enough. Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59, above Sethiest says that driver isn’t working right either.